ADVERTISEMENT

Inky29

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
I think we would all say last year, even though we didn't make the NCAA tournament, was an overall success. Team seemed to improve, our rookie HC seems to a keeper, and momentum seems to be trending in the right direction. So of course the thinking is, hopefully we can be a game or two better next year and make the NCAA but then all the transfers happened and then the thinking turned doom and gloom real fast. I think looking at the team next year is much more than just replacing the guys we lost with their replacements, often times it's simply replacing the guy that is already on the roster that is replacing the guy who we lost.

The hardest person I think to replace will be Mitch, even if Sima had stayed I don't think he was going to replace Mitch. No more than Sima gave us I actually think the the two freshmen in Jones and Anei can replace Sima.

Here's the way I look at things:

2017 Roster

1. Smith - I think Weathers will be a small improvement over Smith. It's no knock on Smith I just think Weathers is the better player and will be able to provide a little more. +1 (2018)

2. Shine- Wish he would have stuck around. I don't think he would ever be a superstar but he was sold and I liked having him on the team. I understand why he left, can't say I blame him. On the roster I'm not sure who we have to replace him. TD is no where near the defender and without knowing what Curtis Jones can bring I'd say until we find out about Ramsey/Harris are doing at best I'd say it's a wash.I have zero doubt we will find a 2 guard that can hit 32% from three. +0(2018)

3.JC - I actually think Lindy will take JC's role just fine. There's a reason why he's started practically every game he's been healthy. Lindy is a better shooter and I think he will embrace the upperclassmen role. Once again I think this will be a wash. +0(2018)

4. Cam - Looks like he bought in mid season to whatever the coaches were telling him and made a huge impact in the 2nd half of the season. I think the sky is the limit for him and will definitely be an improvement over his 2017 version. +1(2018)

5. Mitch - I don't see a transfer out there with his size that will replace him. He really was a glue player for us last year and without him we crumbled. Walker looks to be a serviceable PF that would be forced into playing C if we got him. He's really the kid I want for next year. If we got him I think it would be a wash because I think Walker is a better scorer and rebounder but I'm not sure on the defensive side of things. I'll go with a -1 without Walker and a +0 if we get him.

BA- I'm not saying this as a bash on the kid, I would have been fine if he stayed, but if we can't find a HS Sr that could step in and provide his minutes and contribution I would be shocked. I think BA will go to a SFA or a team like that and do great but he was just over matched most of the time. If we get Ramsey or Harris I would put this as a +2, it's a -2 right now only because we don't know who is replacing him but the prospects look promising.

TD - Needs to get his 3pt shooting over 40%, if he's only 37% again next year then it really takes away any value he might bring. He was more aggressive down the stretch and showed more willingness to mix it up. I know he will work hard over the offseason but right now it's just a wash but would be a +1 if his shot improves. For now just a +0

Sima - Would have liked to have had him back because I do think he was getting more comfortable down the stretch but if we can't get 3pts and 3 rebounds out Jones and Anei I would be shocked. +0 but my guess would be an overall improvement.

Lindy - Since I have him replacing JC it means we need to find someone to replace Lindy's production from last year. Lindy's a really smart player and was a key cog last year. I haven't seen any names out there that have really got me going when it comes to replace Lindy's production. I like the size of Ahim but he shot 28% from three last year. Cun,ingham would replace his scoring but at 6'1 I don't think he'd replace his versatility. I'd like to get Ed Chang We will just have to see who we get but I'd put it right now at, -1 (2018)

Between Demuth, Jones, and Anei I'd love to see one of them be able to redshirt because all of the physically need some work in the strength room but I think all three can still make plays and with how little we have in the way of proven 4/5 players they will have to be given a serious look for time.

So with still some places to fill we are only slightly worse off than last year with still a few spots to be filled for next year. I may be one of just a few but I have 100% confidence in MB being able to find players that can help us improve next year. My number one target is Walker right now but that's just me. Quite a bit rests on Walker, Ramsey, Harris and Chang. Obviously we'd take them all and be thrilled but If we could just get Walker and Chang I'd be happy. I think there's a back up PG to be found out there fairly easily. I originally predicted that 2018 might be our hardest year but if a few more things fall our way I think we could be pretty good.

Reactions: 737poke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News