ADVERTISEMENT

20-21 season

tim73034

Commitment
Mar 23, 2010
It looks like Football is being moved to the spring.. Does anyone have any idea on the D-1 Wrestling season actually happening? Im not trying to be an ass, just wondering...

Up in the air. There is a lot of legitimate scuttle out there that points to the NCAA canceling or postponing all fall sports and championships. Not exactly sure what that does to wrestling.

I don’t know that we will feel real good about any college sports until this virus really slows down or we make real headway on a vaccine.

I heard a couple of weeks ago that we should expect the season to start second semester with the NCAA pushed back to the end of March.

I don’t know that we will feel real good about any college sports until this virus really slows down
Define "we".

I'd personally feel pretty good about college sports for a practically unaffected population that undergoes regular testing and has well above average access to treatments in the very unlikely event they're necessary.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Define "we".

I'd personally feel pretty good about college sports for a practically unaffected population that undergoes regular testing and has well above average access to treatments in the very unlikely event they're necessary.

We as in the general public who has followed any form of media related to the uncertain nature of college sports this fall and potentially into 2021.

The NCAA is very likely to soon, cancel fall championships which will encompass everything but CFB.

Reactions: gyppoke
Define "we".

Not trying to start some kind of debate or argument here. But in the state where I live, Colorado, people aged 20-29 have been the largest group testing positive for covid. Much of this in my immediate area is CU students that continue to have parties and hang out in close quarters (this last statement sure makes me sound like an old guy doesn't it?). So while yes, college students are less likely to die from covid, they clearly are not immune, are still transmitting to people around them, and can (are) still sustain(ing) long term lung damage. This virus is shattering what epidemiologists expect from similar viruses and unfortunately it keeps changing with more data. In short, our student athletes ain't practically unaffected.

Here's a dashboard on recent covid cases from our health department. Posting this just to show the data. Again, please, I don't want to inflame any kind of aggravated conversation because as far as I'm concerned, we're all on the same team and shouldn't stoop to the level of football fans :) and I sure as heck want wrestling to happen this year!

How does this affect wrestling? Maybe some kind of face covering will be required. After all, headgear is required in folkstyle. I can see some wicked face covering + shorts combinations given the new NCAA uniform rules :)

I heard a couple of weeks ago that we should expect the season to start second semester with the NCAA pushed back to the end of March.

An insider on the Ohio St board just posted something similar. Said the Big10 coaches voted for a shortened season that begins in January and prioritizes completing the Big10 and NCAA tourneys.

Just listened to Fauci last night on PBS and he made a strong case for a vaccination by year end. I really like the idea of starting the season in January and pushing the tournaments back to April. This could really help wrestling for multiple reasons.
1.Keep us away from March madness.
2.Season without Covid.
3.Move weight cutting (water reduction0 away from any finals and keeping competition away from finals.

I really want to believe Fauci as we really need to get back to a more regular life, economy, and wrestling.

Just listened to Fauci last night on PBS and he made a strong case for a vaccination by year end. I really like the idea of starting the season in January and pushing the tournaments back to April. This could really help wrestling for multiple reasons.
2.Season without Covid.
3.Move weight cutting (water reduction0 away from any finals and keeping competition away from finals.

I really want to believe Fauci as we really need to get back to a more regular life, economy, and wrestling.

I think before the pandemic there was support really gaining for a spring season and pushed back NCAA tournament but the problem was the venue, schedule and lots of groundwork was already set for the next few years and the thought was they couldn’t move the NCAA’s back for another 2 years.

Ever the pessimist I do not see wrestling happening this year. Covid is spiking and not going to go away and who knows when there will be a vaccine. I like the idea of moving to January but unless Covid is under control by then I fear it will not happen. I want to see wrestling so bad I can taste it but not at the expense of our wrestlers or the public in general. Even without fans present there would still be coaches, staff,officials etc. involved. It would be nice to know if last weekend's tournament in Shawnee will show a spike in cases of covid.

It's not exactly a secret that the initial vaccine trials have been tremendously positive. It's only a matter of formalities of approval and production capacity at this point. December is probably a good estimate.

It's not exactly a secret that the initial vaccine trials have been tremendously positive. It's only a matter of formalities of approval and production capacity at this point. December is probably a good estimate.
Who's Number 1 card on Flo looks really good. Voinovich, Young Mastro and Kyle Haas are on the card along with Jordan Williams and Picklo. I think they said the matches would be on Flo in October.

Who's Number 1 card on Flo looks really good. Voinovich, Young Mastro and Kyle Haas are on the card along with Jordan Williams and Picklo. I think they said the matches would be on Flo in October.

Some good matches...

Voinovich vs Condomitti @ 152
Mastro vs Gallagher @ 160
Haas vs Feldman @ 220

Williams vs Van Ness in a 4 man bracket @ 138
Picklo vs Shumate @ 195

2.Season without Covid.

Preach. Regular life, economy, and wrestling, in that order. Then everything else can follow :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT