ADVERTISEMENT

1943 Finnish Civil Guard M39

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
[URL=http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/OSUJACK/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/72286BCD-0B5B-4BDB-B94A-A3BB95574D57.jpg.html][/URL]

The This is the best of the Mosin Nagant family, the cream of the crop in terms of build quality and function. Over the years, the Mosin gets a bad rap due to the fact that it was so abundant and usually easy to obtain leading false impressions that they were cheaply made and not worth much...but that is all changing.

In the last couple of years, these guns have risen sharply in price because the supply that was once EVERYWHERE is now not so abundant. Especially when it comes to good quality examples, and especially when it comes to those rifles made in Finland.

The Finns were known to have high standards, so they would take a decent Russian 91 or 91/30 receiver and add an improved barrel, improved sights, thicker stock, 2 stage trigger and free float the barrel on these guns. The result is a gun capable of hitting 5-8 inch groups at 600 yards when using quality ammo. If you google "Finnish M39", you will find videos of guys bench resting these guns and doing that claim justice.

I have yet to fire this example, but a quick "bullet test" revealed .32" of the .310" bullet being exposed...which is pretty damned nice when many Mosins (even some M39s) can be seen to swallow the bullet down to the case mouth, denoting a well worn barrel. This barrel looks as though it was barely used. The stock has some dents and dings, but has a pretty nice pattern and he bluing looks great.

"SK.Y" is stamping known to identify these as Finnish Civil Guard. This one is from 1943, during the "Continuation War" with the Soviets. The stock is an original wartime stock. The "S" inside a gear stand for Sako (pronounced "Socko"), the manufacturer of these weapons for the Finland during that time. The serial number is right in the middle of production (roughly 500,000 to 510,000) for the Civil Guard. Only 10,000 of these Civil Guard rifles are thought to exist. This particular rifle was built on a 1917 Russian Tula receiver.

The Finns even used ammo dropped for Russians on the Russians themselves. Look up the "Winter War" and the "Continuation War" between Russia and Finland during WW2. The Finns were masters at doing a lot with very little. In the end, they did give up some land area and cash, but they didn't lose their independence.

I will be taking this to the range this week as usual to see if it will produce shots on par with both what I have seen in videos and others results. My guess is it should be quite spectacular.

[URL=http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/OSUJACK/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/0FB424B2-6669-4220-912E-06F3E622EFA2.jpg.html][/URL]

Just got back from a range trip with this gun...WOW!!! Unfortunately, I left my phone at home so I didn't get to take pics, but it shot groups at 50 yards that looked like my groups out of my Ruger M77 7.62x39 rifle. So, basically 1/2 inch groups at 50.

That doesn't surprise since the barrel looks almost new, which was a complete surprise upon inspection when I first took the gun apart for cleaning. Recoil was very light, much more manageable than that of my Remington M1903 in 30.06. I used Red Army Standard 7.62x54R in 148 grain. Next trip will be shots at 300 yards. Really wish I had a place with AR500 steel set up at 100,200,250, and 300 yards. I have a feeling this gun would be one of those m39s capable of hitting a 24 inch gong at 600 (seen some videos of such shots), the barrel really has some of the best rifling without signs of rust or pitting that I have ever seen in a milsurp gun. The gun is 74 years old....

Sounds like it's fun to shoot, and I saw one of those Sako /Finland M39 on Gunbroker that was brand new, meaning it was never issued. Perfect stock and metal. Also wasn't too cheap. Really tempting however!

Glad to get a range report!!

Yeah, the M39 is the top dog in the Mosin Nagant family of rifles. The Finns really knew what to do when building a rifle for accuracy.

Not only are these barrels so much better than a Russian Mosin, they also understood how to properly bed the barrel...when you take an M39 apart and remove the hand guard, you see areas where it was sanded with finish removed. That means they tested the gun after build and found areas that were touching the barrel and throwing off the accuracy. My gun has a site with the number "74" on the top of the blade...this same number is behind the sight post, meaning they tested and sighted the gun in using that barrel and sight, finding that to be the best set up for POA at POI. The trigger is a two stage trigger. Crazy for a gun of this vintage, and not something you will find on many if any standard military service rifles of that era.

If you have never owned a Mosin Nagant and want one for your collection or just for shooting, and perhaps want to see just how good you can do with iron sights at long ranges, you won't do much better than an M39. The only other gun in my collection I can say that will hang with this one as far as irons is my M1917 Eddystone from 1918.

My next little "report" will be a comparison between those two. In fact, I'm thing of doing a video this next time, but that will entail having someone run the camera and whatnot. I have a video somehwere of me shooting a tiny explosive target at 70 yards with my M1917, and maybe a range trip with my original Henry, but that's about it.

Oh....and one more interesting note...the M39 Sky Civil Guard rifle had a bayonet marked with "Sky" as well for Civil Guard. Very hard to find...I tried to buy one last night on eBay...it went for $1450. Yeah, piss on that. But they do usually sell for $600 or so and are very sweet looking bayonets, really a survival
Knife, the Finns didn't do anything half ass. They had too much on the line.

[URL=http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/OSUJACK/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/2598805B-E7EA-41FF-8D22-7C126AECD50A.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/OSUJACK/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/9D54CAFA-90EB-425B-9D3F-248B7C44BA8D.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/OSUJACK/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/D1DBDEC2-6459-496F-A13B-2B2B6D1EEC17.jpg.html][/URL]

Well, I'm pretty excited. I managed come across an original Civil Guard bayonet and sling. Now my Finnish Civil Guard M39 is complete. This "bayones" is the sweetest bayo in my collection. Can easily double as a little survival type knife. The Russian bayonets on the Mosin Nagant are just pig stickers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT