ADVERTISEMENT

18/19 Roster

I think G is beating him every time
Well if this is truly the case, then why as many have alluded to on here would Brock start in front of him at 41? Would we truly take the chance of losing G and his best friend as a result to another school? Love Pic but guess I imagined our lineup would b fix, Brock, and G in that order

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Well if this is truly the case, then why as many have alluded to on here would Brock start in front of him at 41? Would we truly take the chance of losing G and his best friend as a result to another school? Love Pic but guess I imagined our lineup would b fix, Brock, and G in that order

I think who beats who in the room is a lot more complex than most fans think. If G is truly beating Kaid every time he needs to start. I have zero inside info but I bet it isn't that cut and dry. You just has to trust that John knows what he is doing. I can't remember many times John hasn't started the best guy.

Reactions: osu2082
Losing G and his best friend? Get a grip.

Lol thank you!!

Gfeller wrote a book report or something in like the second grade about how his dream is to wrestle for okie state and win the Olympics. He’d have to get cut for him to leave the program.

And I saw daton fix get a cut one time. It stood out in my memory because it was the first time I saw someone bleed orange.

Those guys will leave Oklahoma state if smith gets fired and a nitwit like me is named head coach. That’s about it.

Listen. I know it’s their dream school. No one questions or debates that. But if you were beating a guy consistently and that guy wrestles in front of you in live matches, you are just gonna sit there and take it and waste a year? C mon. That’s just ignorant. I have no idea what John’s thoughts are on this and hope it would never come down to losing a guy(s) that are so talented

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Listen. I know it’s their dream school. No one questions or debates that. But if you were beating a guy consistently and that guy wrestles in front of you in live matches, you are just gonna sit there and take it and waste a year? C mon. That’s just ignorant. I have no idea what John’s thoughts are on this and hope it would never come down to losing a guy(s) that are so talented
The only person to suggest they're of such low character as to cut and run when shit goes wrong is you. This crap is where rumors get started and you're completely guessing or suggesting that what you'd do is what someone else would do. We're all fans of our own opinions but don't go overboard.

So do you know firsthand that Kaden is beating Kaid in the room? Or, are you just taking snippets of conversation elsewhere and fabricating your thoughts? (I don't know who beats who, but haven't heard a thing about any ranking matches taking place, so don't know about those either)

Over on the Penn State board the running joke is that EVERYONE beats Nico Megaludis in the room, such was the prevalence of such rumors back when the 4xAA and 1xNC was a Nittany Lion. He never lost his spot. I guess Oklahoma State has something similar now.

1) Unless you've seen it, be skeptical.
2) If you have seen it, are you at every practice?
3) If Gfeller is really better than Brock, he'll have a chance to prove it at the Scuffle and other tournaments.

Talking about a guy leaving because he is beating the starter and not getting the nod on November 5th is absurd. Even more so because there hasn't been a single dual yet. Settle down.

Over on the Penn State board the running joke is that EVERYONE beats Nico Megaludis in the room, such was the prevalence of such rumors back when the 4xAA and 1xNC was a Nittany Lion. He never lost his spot. I guess Oklahoma State has something similar now.

1) Unless you've seen it, be skeptical.
2) If you have seen it, are you at every practice?
3) If Gfeller is really better than Brock, he'll have a chance to prove it at the Scuffle and other tournaments.

Talking about a guy leaving because he is beating the starter and not getting the nod on November 5th is absurd. Even more so because there hasn't been a single dual yet. Settle down.

Point understood, but just for the record, the"prevalence" of rumors of Nico being beaten in the room really came from just one guy who almost everyone knew was an obnoxious fabricator of inside info. He inspired a plethora of running jokes (at his expense) and was eventually banned from the forum.

Well if he drinks a lot that means my glass is empty on the idea of him making 157. Not happening!

Rodgers is going 165 he weighed in at 168.3 on Sunday but wrestled 174
Jacobe went 174 for all star dual and made scratch
Joe hasn't wrestled and Pyles said again today on Floradio that his first competition would be 184

Reactions: andegre
I will take a backseat to all of you guys when it comes to wrestling knowledge, but I do know that the athletes on the team know when a coach is not starting the best payer (starting the wrestler who has earned the spot), and it can lead to more problems in team unity than simply a single wrestler leaving the program. That said, I suspect that the Brock v. Gfeller issue will be settled on the mat, and I don't think John Smith is the type of coach/competitor that leaves his best wrestler at a particular weight on the bench.

Rodgers is going 165 he weighed in at 168.3 on Sunday but wrestled 174
Jacobe went 174 for all star dual and made scratch
Joe hasn't wrestled and Pyles said again today on Floradio that his first competition would be 184

I took Pyles just guessing or being silly when he said Joe would start at 184. I don't think he said it with any inside information other than what's been discussed here.

I don't think we will know what our weights will be at until January.

I took Pyles just guessing or being silly when he said Joe would start at 184. I don't think he said it with any inside information other than what's been discussed here.

I don't think we will know what our weights will be at until January.
Thursday he said his first open would be at 184 and today he said his first competition would be at 184.He never mentioned start.Rodgers will be 165 for the duals next week.

Daniel Frishkorn pinned Johnny Thompson in 2003. Frishkorn stayed in his redshirt. Esposito didn't start his true freshman year over Ronnie Delk until halfway through the year. Kevin Ward used to beat Hendricks in the room and in competition, but Hendricks ended up starting eventually. There's precedent for this sort of thing. Just trust that Coach John will put out the right person for the match at hand, and be thankful for the loyalty of both Kaid and Kaden.

Is this the first father son duo that smith has coached?
At OCU this weekend, Bear’s dad Josh Hughes was in his corner. Wasn’t he on the OSU roster in the 90s and from Wagoner High School? The Hughes may win this honor.

Nice find, it would have to been somebody pretty early on. What an accomplishment in longevity. How many coaches have they had in Norman since 92?

Kaid vs G will probably be settled at Reno and the Scuffle. Who’s beating who in practice does not mean much because you do not keep score in practice. You work on improving your technique and try new stuff which may result in failure quiet often.

Kaid vs G will probably be settled at Reno and the Scuffle. Who’s beating who in practice does not mean much because you do not keep score in practice. You work on improving your technique and try new stuff which may result in failure quiet often.
I think I read somewhere from Coach Smith that when Kaden and Kaid go at it that Coach Smith gets concerned about an injury. I just checked and it is from the OColly and he gets concerned how hard kaid and Daton go at it in practice also. Good stuff with competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrassler17
Reactions: colcord
Fair enough. We all know they are both super talented and more than likely one will be on the bench unless Fix drops. Is this even a possibility or is Pic the man at 25?

Fair enough. We all know they are both super talented and more than likely one will be on the bench unless Fix drops. Is this even a possibility or is Pic the man at 25?

The team is better with Pic at 25 and Fix at 33 but Daton can go 125 if he really wants to. Personally he has a much easier path to the finals there but it leaves a hole at 33 as Pic would struggle and don't think Kaid can make that cut.

Reactions: oberebo
Kaid is going to struggle at 41 imo. Do we think:

25 Pic
33 Fix
41 Kaid

Outscores

25 Fix
33 Kaid
41 G

?

Kaid is going to struggle at 41 imo. Do we think:

25 Pic
33 Fix
41 Kaid

Outscores

25 Fix
33 Kaid
41 G

?

Hard to know... Kaid consistently and effectively making the cut to 133 and projecting G being the guy are the two major question marks with the second option. I think John will give Kaid the semester to grow into the size and technique of bumping up before changes are made.

25 Pic - Is a top 4-5 guy
33 Fix - Is a top 3-4 guy
41 Kaid - Is a top 8 guy

25 Fix - Is 1 or 2
33 Kaid - Top 5 guy (if he can handle the cut)
41 G - Top 8 guy (but there is some unknown)

Both good offensively. Who’s better on bottom? We know Kaid has struggled here at 33. A tough call

To me, the key to a Daton/Kaid/G lineup is not whether Kaid can make 133. We know it would be a tough cut for him but he's done it before. The key is can Daton make 125 for 3 straight days at nationals. This summer he was given a 2 kg allowance on day 2 of the senior Open & WTTs. I think he can do it, but it wouldn't be easy.

I'll throw some more speculation into the lineup riddle. John speaks rather casually in interviews. But in the O'Colly article he's quoted as saying he expects 7 upperclassmen in the starting lineup with a few underclassmen mixed in. Does that mean Joe might be headed down to 157 and Dakota may be going 184? Gonna be interesting this year.

To me, the key to a Daton/Kaid/G lineup is not whether Kaid can make 133. We know it would be a tough cut for him but he's done it before. The key is can Daton make 125 for 3 straight days at nationals. This summer he was given a 2 kg allowance on day 2 of the senior Open & WTTs. I think he can do it, but it wouldn't be easy.

I'll throw some more speculation into the lineup riddle. John speaks rather casually in interviews. But in the O'Colly article he's quoted as saying he expects 7 upperclassmen in the starting lineup with a few underclassmen mixed in. Does that mean Joe might be headed down to 157 and Dakota may be going 184? Gonna be interesting this year.

Joe at 157 would probably be the ideal lineup.

Yes, a strong Joe at 157 would be ideal but I've read on here that he is having serious weight issues. A few years ago, Dieringer won the title at 157 but the cut was very difficult for him. Not everyone can do what he did.

Anyone know if there is going to be a media day this year? Would be nice to hear from the coaches and some of the wrestlers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT