ADVERTISEMENT

“Texans would be without electricity for longer than three days to keep the federal government out of their business,”

A dem regulatory authority probably would've regulated and made them winterize their utility grid. I heard a talking head this a.m. say all other states did it. I question if Hawaii did and I haven't looked at it but that's a good place to start.

Dan, is unregulated utilities working anywhere? And do you know why government started regulating electricity in the U.S.?

Isn’t that what Texas had, a regulatory authority? You think the Democrats would have done everything exactly like the Republicans but the regulatory agency under their command would have “winterized” the windmills and there would have been no collapse? Is that your argument?

Sure unregulated houses being built off the grid have sprung up all around the country. Some of their facilities may have failed, who knows? But when one collapsed it didn’t take down all of them. That’s the problem with government provided commodities. It’s all or nothing. And when it’s a collapse of a state’s entire electric grid it throws the whole state into freezing darkness. Well, except for those people who provided for their own protection from the cold by having generators,etc. it would be a much better system if things were widely dispersed. The environmentalists could have their electricity provided by green energy that they saw to it was winterized, while others might enjoy comfort provided by natural gas. That way everyone wins and there isn’t a constant tug of war over who gets to control everybody else’s lives.

Last edited:
Isn’t that what Texas had, a regulatory authority? You think the Democrats would have done everything exactly like the Republicans but the regulatory agency under their command would have “winterized” the windmills and there would have been no collapse? Is that your argument?

Sure unregulated houses being built off the grid have sprung up all around the country. Some of their facilities may have failed, who knows? But when one collapsed it didn’t take down all of them. That’s the problem with government provided commodities. It’s all or nothing. And when it’s a collapse of a state’s entire electric grid it throws the whole state into freezing darkness. Well, except for those people who provided for their own protection from the cold by having generators,etc. it would be a much better system if things were widely dispersed. The environmentalists could have their electricity provided by green energy that they saw to it was winterized, while others might enjoy comfort provided by natural gas. That way everyone wins and there isn’t a constant tug of war over who gets to control everybody else’s lives.
Dan, are unregulated utilities working anywhere? And do you know why government started regulating electricity in the U.S.?

Boil Orders lmao. Where the hell do you libtards live? Boil Orders are more common than you think. It doesn't take freezing temps to have one, they happen all the time in all types of weather. Damn liberals are not only weird and stinky they are ignorant too.
Liberals, inventors of Pegging.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Dan, are unregulated utilities working anywhere? And do you know why government started regulating electricity in the U.S.?
Sys, I don’t know of anywhere that unregulated utilities exist beyond the occasional “mountain man” that has chosen to live off the grid.

Nor do I know the exact reason government started regulating electricity in the first place. I imagine some statists “discovered” a crisis and convinced enough people to let them regulate it in the interest of public service. That didn’t work out so well for the people of Texas, did it?

Utility providers have an inherent monopoly, which is why they are subject to regulation. If they were to be truly subject to a competitive market, we would have power lines running all over the place, theoretically. It’s sort of why you don’t see “forests” of oil derricks anymore. The state governments have implemented the concept of “unitization” to prevent this, otherwise, Exxon and Conoco would keep throwing up rigs to out pump each other when they lease from different landowners.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Sys, I don’t know of anywhere that unregulated utilities exist beyond the occasional “mountain man” that has chosen to live off the grid.

Nor do I know the exact reason government started regulating electricity in the first place. I imagine some statists “discovered” a crisis and convinced enough people to let them regulate it in the interest of public service. That didn’t work out so well for the people of Texas, did it?

Even coonass understands, dan. This is not rocket science.

Utility providers have an inherent monopoly, which is why they are subject to regulation. If they were to be truly subject to a competitive market, we would have power lines running all over the place, theoretically. It’s sort of why you don’t see “forests” of oil derricks anymore. The state governments have implemented the concept of “unitization” to prevent this, otherwise, Exxon and Conoco would keep throwing up rigs to out pump each other when they lease from different landowners.

Even coonass understands, dan. This is not rocket science.
I have no doubt that our Sooner friend from Louisiana would agree that he has ten times more intelligence in his pinky finger than I have in my whole body. So it should come as no surprise that he understands statist mandates better than I. But I don't find his argument to be particularly convincing. At least if I understand it correctly. I think what he is saying is the state has the obligation to restrict the property rights of owners under the assumption that they may do something with their property that potentially might offend someone else's aesthetic. My, that opens a can of worms, doesn't it?

There is one vibe that I have never sensed from SIL that seems to gush out of your pores, Sys. You don't appear to comprehend how a free society could possibly work. You cannot see that creativity and ingenuity would pour forth like a lava flow. If there is a "service or commodity" that has always been regulated or monopolized by the state you seem to believe it would impossible for free people to provide those services or commodities for themselves. Somehow in your mind people are too stupid to organize themselves efficiently, but the same people, when they are government bureaucrats, suddenly become experts.

Here's a scenario I envision when I think of you comprehending a free society. Let's take a commodity, say mustache wax. Let's say that a hundred years ago the public was convinced the state should be the sole provider of mustache wax, having been told it was necessary for the public good, there would be catastrophic crisis otherwise. So for the last 100 years the state has been the sole provider of mustache wax. But something happens, some unforeseen event, and the state suddenly is in short supply and mustache wax must be doled out in unacceptable quantities for the average person with a mustache. All hell breaks lose! What to do, what to do? Someone like myself might opine that the state shouldn't have been in the mustache wax business to begin with, that private enterprise is much better qualified to deal with the situation, that the state should relinquish its control over mustache wax distribution. But you, unable to comprehend such a thing, would scream bloody murder! Why, who knows what toxic chemicals a private supplier might put in his mustache wax, it might burn someone's lip off! We have always had the government in control, and just because it failed in its mission we must not now, not ever, consider the state giving up this power. Name one society where private distribution of mustache wax has been successful. Aha! You can't! Therefore your notion has been summarily defeated, and the state should continue doing what it has done, damn to hell anyone who thinks otherwise.

I hope by this ridiculous example you can see how in error your have been on the subject of the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD_4OSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT