ADVERTISEMENT

Zero Turn Mowers

BigBobBarker

2nd Team
Apr 2, 2008
Going to be needing one soon. New house is almost done. Turning cow pasture into yard. I have 10 acres but will be trying to improve only about 4 acres. I have a borrowed brush hog and tractor for now but I can't keep it forever and the rest of the houses on the street have really nice yards so the hogs cut quality won't cut it for long. My father in law has a residential grade JD that is at least 4 seasons old. He says it needs a new deck which is around $900. He uses it for mowing vacant lots that he owns so it is well used. So might be too used up to justify fixing. He has a new residential grade hustler he likes but will probably use up quick like he did his JD. What do you guys think?

Been a few years since I last used them, but the Z Series stuff from JD were awesome machines. Handled the punishment of mowing multiple ball fields weekly. Smooth ride. Great control response. Even cut.

I bought a grasshopper over 10yrs ago and haven't had any problems. You'll need a 60"-72" mower or you'll be on it for awhile for 4acres.

A new deck for a 4 yr old mower just doesn't seem right unless they aren't greasing the deck.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/4973283081.html

This is a good price on this mower if it's in good shape. A buddy of mine bought a diesel grasshopper 7-8 yrs ago and paid 12k. They are expensive but last a long time.
Be sure to get a grease gun and grease it every other time you mow. I hate doing it but it makes it last.

My buddy uses mowers from Wright Manufacturing for his commercial landscaping business. They have standing models as well as traditional seat mowers. There hydro driven and they weigh less than the other mowers that were available to him. I actually went one time to the factory and I have to say they are built from pretty much bulletproof materials.

John Deeres,are,the most,overpriced mower on the yard. Not bad machines but not a Farriss, Walker, etc You will need 60" plus.

Worked on the house today. Did pretty good with the brush hog until I broke its pto shaft. Sheared the steel in two. Didn't hit anything or know why. It is really old. Maybe it was just my lucky day. Checked out my father in laws JD. It is a Z225, 42" deck, 18.5 horsepower. Only 213 hours. Looks fine but you can tell it was left outside a lot. Couldn't get it to turnover. Sounded like the battery was weak. Now have to talk him into letting me fix and keep it. It will be good enough for the front two acres for now. I need my own brush hog and tractor to tame the back acreage. Lots of vetch and thistle. But that isn't in the budget obviously.

If you are buying new I'd take a long look at the a Kubota diesel. Awesome mower.

ZD326.png

I would love to have one of those. I am intrigued by their rear discharge setups. Just seems like a better way to me. They are over $10,000 though. That mower parked in the barn next to a kubota tractor with a brush hog would be a dream scenario.

Figured out why I broke the pto shaft. I was raising the mower while going over gravel while leaving the PTO engaged. The PTO shaft was grinding against the rear deck. I have never had to avoid doing that in the past with any other setups. It was on a really old Massey ferguson tractor. The tractors owner told me to just leave the brushhog down going across gravel. My brick masons and two of their kids were there. No way would I want to send rocks flying around and hurt somebody. Oh well. $200 mistake.

Call Allen at alternative parts if you need to get it fixed. He's on the service road east side of i35 south of Waterloo. Great honest mechanic. He is working on my Cattapillar now.

BBB, I have that Kubota set up. Kubota tractor and Bush Hog and a Kubota zero turn like the one above. Other than snapping some sheer pins on the brush hog, never had an issue with these. On 5 acres, it's a great set up, maybe more than we need but the back 2 and a half gets some gnarly brush that I don't want to tear the zero turn up with. If you could find a used Kubota zero turn for a good deal, that would be the top. The JDs are great from what I have seen, but no personal experience with those.

That's a good question lol. I need to go back out the property and take a look at the manual. I want to 40-45, but that may be off a bit. It only has about 220 hours on it, bought back in 2003 or so. Front loader, box blade and Bush Hog 60. It's great in the winter time, 4 wheel drive and lockers. I wish I could post pics of it. Can't post anything here.

Drinking a cold one on the go is very difficult in a zero turn. Has anyone mastered this craft?

One thing I don't understand at all is the difference in horsepower between tractors and cars. A 105 horsepower tractor is a big tractor and you can do all of your hay work with it. A 105 horsepower car? Not so much. My trailblazer had an inline 6 that supposedly made 270 horsepower. Chevy must measure their HP differently than JD or Kubota

Tractor HP with the huge gearing and torque is quite different, and combine that with a Diesel engine (as Kubota uses) and you have much more brawn with less ponies.

The "tractor" concept was used by Jeep back in the Willys days. In fact, they made what was known as a "jeep tractor" for a period of time after initial introduction of the CJ2A. 60 horses with 5:38 gearing...I have a 1953 and can go anywhere with it that someone spending 40K on this and that in a new jeep can go, at least as much as my standard ground clearance will allow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT