ADVERTISEMENT

Your okie accent

I used my Okie accent to my advantage once on a trip to Mackinaw Island...I was young, single, and in WAY better shape than I am now.

Reactions: CBradSmith
Y'all put the kidney where the liver done spose to go!!!

Recon I'll come out and scrub in next time.

Anyway geet yet? If not come on up to my office I got some ribs on sale at delmars.

Same here with the word pronunciation. When I 1st moved to the West Coast, a frequent comment I would hear was "you don't sound like your from OK?". Growing up in an OKC suburb, that's probably not very surprising (although I had a lot of exposure to accents on both sides of my family).

However, I would pronounce things here and there, possibly incorrectly, that would raise a few eyebrows in the office. One I remember specifically is the word "insurance". I formerly placed the emphasis on -In- as opposed to -sur-. I've made an effort to correct this and think it's mostly corrected now.

And the term "catty-corner". West coasters say kitty-corner instead. Will never get used to it.

I pronounce both of those the same as you do. INsurance, catty-corner. I've never heard kitty-corner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT