ADVERTISEMENT

Witcher on Netflix

rumor is that Henry Cavill is a big Wticher fan, if so you know hes going to want to stay true to the game/books.

Henry Cavill is a perfect casting for Geralt. Didn't realize it was out now, I will be checking it out during my week off next week.

I am looking forward to it. I got hooked on it due to the game (witcher 3), enough that my wife bought the entire book series. As short of an attention span as I have with books, the way these are done are great. They could do a lot with a Netflix style series. So far, the previews seem to keep with the books/game. Can’t wait.

So what do you guys think? I am half way through the season and so far I like it. Been watching while I put together a million toys for the kid this Christmas.

I liked it. As a redhead lover, I feel ripped off by their choice on who to play Triss. Am very disappointed.

Reactions: MegaPoke
Seems really well done. I agree Triss’s casting is odd. Yennifer is ok. I feel they nailed Geralt so well that by comparison those two are both not quite video game hot.

Have to admit, I didn't think it was very good.

1. It has the same problem all Netflix shows have, it's has 3 or 4 episodes worth of plot strung out to 8 installments.
  2. It can't decide if it's a serial or a procedural in the narrative so it does both pretty badly.
  3. It has as bad of an ending as you'll see in a TV show.
  4. This was promoted as a challenger to Game of Thrones, it's not. It's more in the wheelhouse of Hercules/Zena or Legend of the Seeker. It's campy more targeted to a 13 year-old watching to see boobies and not actual adult entertainment.
  5. Have no idea what they were thinking the bard's characterization brings to the show: but it doesn't work.
On the plus side the production quality and fight scenes are pretty good.

Have to admit, I didn't think it was very good.

1. It has the same problem all Netflix shows have, it's has 3 or 4 episodes worth of plot strung out to 8 installments.
  2. It can't decide if it's a serial or a procedural in the narrative so it does both pretty badly.
  3. It has as bad of an ending as you'll see in a TV show.
  4. This was promoted as a challenger to Game of Thrones, it's not. It's more in the wheelhouse of Hercules/Zena or Legend of the Seeker. It's campy more targeted to a 13 year-old watching to see boobies and not actual adult entertainment.
  5. Have no idea what they were thinking the bard's characterization brings to the show: but it doesn't work.
On the plus side the production quality and fight scenes are pretty good.

Just curious - Have you played Witcher 3? If so, does that color your review up or down?

If I hadn’t, I think this would be my opinion as well. I think it’s well done - as a tribute to the game, aside from a few odd casting decisions. But not strong as a stand alone project like GOT was for people who hadn’t read the books.

Just curious - Have you played Witcher 3? If so, does that color your review up or down?

If I hadn’t, I think this would be my opinion as well. I think it’s well done - as a tribute to the game, aside from a few odd casting decisions. But not strong as a stand alone project like GOT was for people who hadn’t read the books.

I haven't played any of the games. I will also acknowledge that I had really high expectations. But it's still not good IMHO

Reactions: MegaPoke
I watched the series without knowing a thing about who the Witcher was, thought it was pretty good but if they don't make another season of this and leave me hanging with that lame ending I'll be pissed. So which game should I go buy?

I will say no way anything lives up to GOT. IMO about the only one that could come close would be the Lord of Rings that Prime will put out but both these have one thing in common a great novel writer giving source. I had very low expectations and thought it was a decent show. I have never played the game either.

I watched the series without knowing a thing about who the Witcher was, thought it was pretty good but if they don't make another season of this and leave me hanging with that lame ending I'll be pissed. So which game should I go buy?
I am only half way through but did hear it has been green lighted for season 2.

I will say no way anything lives up to GOT. IMO about the only one that could come close would be the Lord of Rings that Prime will put out but both these have one thing in common a great novel writer giving source. I had very low expectations and thought it was a decent show. I have never played the game either.

If Amazon opens up their wallet for The Wheel of Time, it's got a chance. The source material is far superior to ASIAF or the Middle Earths books from a TV standpoint.

While not the cultural spectacles of GoT, there's been plenty of shows that were just as well done even if on a smaller scale. That being said, The Witcher isn't in the same class as anything HBO puts out. For the amount of money they claimed to have spent, $80 million, I was expecting a lot better.

Reactions: JonnyVito
If Amazon opens up their wallet for The Wheel of Time, it's got a chance. The source material is far superior to ASIAF or the Middle Earths books from a TV standpoint.

While not the cultural spectacles of GoT, there's been plenty of shows that were just as well done even if on a smaller scale. That being said, The Witcher isn't in the same class as anything HBO puts out. For the amount of money they claimed to have spent, $80 million, I was expecting a lot better.
Will "Wheel of Time" be a fantasy type show? I have heard several on here recommend the books.

You should read the books if you like ASOIAF and don't mind more magic in the plot. I personally think they are a better read and the series is actually done
I will look at these once I get through the Expanse series. Since we have had the kid I don't get much time to read like I used to so I have slowed way down. This series is now on my list. I loved that it is finish also.

I will look at these once I get through the Expanse series. Since we have had the kid I don't get much time to read like I used to so I have slowed way down. This series is now on my list. I loved that it is finish also.

Now the Expanse is an example of a show that I found was done every bit as well as Game of Thrones

Witcher 3 is the latest and only one I played. A few years old at this point It lacks the incredible graphics of a Red Dead 2 but it’s still pretty good. Story and wide open world scope are fantastic.

At this point the only video games I play are these kind of games that draw you in like an interactive novel. In that regard, it’s excellent.

Looks to be a little like "Into the Badlands" (which is awesome, IMHO).
I vaguely remember the ads for this series on AMC years ago and just started watching it on Netflix last week. I'm around halfway through season 2 and enjoying it quite a bit so far. It sucks that the show only lasted 3 seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT