ADVERTISEMENT

Who here has been to Argentina?

ThorOdinson13

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Apr 4, 2005
So, the thread by @Breastman got me thinking. Who here has been to Argentina and can tell me more about it? The pictures of southern Argentina are incredible, just google Bariloche. I was thinking that one day I would like to visit so hearing from those that have been there would be great.

Bariloche_view.jpg
Bariloche-_Argentina.jpg

vacaciones-de-invierno-en-bariloche-argentina2.jpg

cerro-tronador-bariloche-argentina.jpg

I have a friend from my days at OSU who is currently in Argentina with her husband for a Christmas vacation.

Through them, I'm seeing a lot of Argentina on Facebook and so far, so good.

Will probably be a candidate for our 20th anniversary trip in 5 years.

Reactions: ThorOdinson13
I've been to Argentina 12-15 times, but always business and never more than 90 miles from Buenos Aires. Same for Brazil, but almost always Rio or Sao Paolo. Took my wife and three kids to BA and Rio for two weeks in 2001. Had a seriously awesome time.

A few of my best friends in the world (literally) are from those places. Even though they often shake their heads at how various U.S. administrations have treated them over the years, they have great respect for America and Americans and I was always graciously welcomed by everyone I met.

For scenery, I think you're barking up the right tree to go to southern Argentina. I was told, however, that turistas outnumber natives at all the resorts and ski locations down there. True anywhere I guess. I always wanted to go north out of BA to the Brazilian border to see Iguazu Falls.

Peru is pretty ass-backward. It's charming and quaint but can be scary because the third-world quality of the place is overpowering. Some 70 percent of the homes in Lima, the capital, don't have running water. That's a "city" of more than 8 million. Something like 15% of people in Lima have a phone. I usually felt safe, but looking back, I was probably stupid. I wanted to go to Machu Pichu since I was in high school sophomore Spanish in the 60's but never had time to go.

Chile and Uruguay are good visits. Paraguay has always had a bad reputation and I never went. Venezuela and Colombia are OK, but I was always with locals I knew through business and never felt unwelcome. Panama is fine. Costa Rica is where we should all retire. Guatemala can be spooky but even the Guatemalans don't want to go to El Salvador or Nicaragua.

I've been to Argentina 12-15 times, but always business and never more than 90 miles from Buenos Aires. Same for Brazil, but almost always Rio or Sao Paolo. Took my wife and three kids to BA and Rio for two weeks in 2001. Had a seriously awesome time.

A few of my best friends in the world (literally) are from those places. Even though they often shake their heads at how various U.S. administrations have treated them over the years, they have great respect for America and Americans and I was always graciously welcomed by everyone I met.

For scenery, I think you're barking up the right tree to go to southern Argentina. I was told, however, that turistas outnumber natives at all the resorts and ski locations down there. True anywhere I guess. I always wanted to go north out of BA to the Brazilian border to see Iguazu Falls.

Peru is pretty ass-backward. It's charming and quaint but can be scary because the third-world quality of the place is overpowering. Some 70 percent of the homes in Lima, the capital, don't have running water. That's a "city" of more than 8 million. Something like 15% of people in Lima have a phone. I usually felt safe, but looking back, I was probably stupid. I wanted to go to Machu Pichu since I was in high school sophomore Spanish in the 60's but never had time to go.

Chile and Uruguay are good visits. Paraguay has always had a bad reputation and I never went. Venezuela and Colombia are OK, but I was always with locals I knew through business and never felt unwelcome. Panama is fine. Costa Rica is where we should all retire. Guatemala can be spooky but even the Guatemalans don't want to go to El Salvador or Nicaragua.

Fantastic break down of that part of the world IMO.

I have a friend from my days at OSU who is currently in Argentina with her husband for a Christmas vacation.

Through them, I'm seeing a lot of Argentina on Facebook and so far, so good.

Will probably be a candidate for our 20th anniversary trip in 5 years.
On vacation in South America with her husband and she's posting on Facebook? She should unplug for a couple of weeks. Too much to see and do.

On vacation in South America with her husband and she's posting on Facebook? She should unplug for a couple of weeks. Too much to see and do.

They are both posting on Facebook. They are DINKs and get a kick out of the attention I think.

I don't really care if they are relaxing since it makes my future trip research easier. :)

I dipped my toe in Argentina about a week ago. Went to iguazu falls on the Argentina side and stayed at the Sheraton (the only nice hotel on that side). Has beautiful views of the falls from the hotel. Iguazu falls is a must see. Can't recommend it enough. Two days is enough though to take it all in. Brazil is great as well. Went to rio and sau Paulo.

Note you can get a much better exchange rate with locals for the Argentina peso than the official rate. Typically you get best rate using credit card but in Argentina bring usd to exchange for 20-40 percent better rate.

Sau Paulo is the worst city I've ever spent more than a week in.

Sau Paulo is the worst city I've ever spent more than a week in.
I wouldn't say worst city ... but I wouldn't go out of my way to go back there again. Rio I will most certainly visit again, as well as checking out other beach destinations in Brazil. We were in Atibaia which is about an hour south of Sau Paulo for part of the time we were there for my buddy's wedding. Basically was in Sau Paulo for 2 full days, which I think is enough. Their version of Rodeo Drive (Beverly Hills Rodeo dr.) called like Oscar something or other was cool to see. Paulista ave was unique as well. Sau Paulo feels very bohemian to me. Lots of hipster vibe there, if that is your thing. I think I would enjoy it more with a local showing me around. Traffic is nuts there. Driving is a unique experience there, with motorcycles flying by in between traffic lanes. I was always worried about accidentally smoking a motorcyclist while changing lanes. Also there is just a mass of humanity there. I think there is something like 10-11 million people in the city area. It definitely feels like it. I would go back if there is a reason, but feel like i got to see a good representation of it.

It would definitely be better with a local. The traffic is awful. It has over 20 million people in the metro area. Largest in the Americas. Crime is really bad. Few speak English.

Having said that, I did eat at one of the top 10 restaurants in the world (DOM) while I was there. It was pretty cool.

My former boss was down there a few years ago for some type of extreme "Eco" cross country endurance run. He loved it. Said the food was amazing and very inexpensive, due to the exchange rate. He also loved the people and said he felt very safe there.

It's always been a place that I'd like to see as well, mainly due to reading so much about it on WEB Griffin books.

Chile and Uruguay are good visits. Paraguay has always had a bad reputation and I never went. Venezuela and Colombia are OK, but I was always with locals I knew through business and never felt unwelcome. Panama is fine. Costa Rica is where we should all retire. Guatemala can be spooky but even the Guatemalans don't want to go to El Salvador or Nicaragua.[/QUOTE

Nicaragua is poor, but safe. Beautiful with much to do and see. It used to be resort free, but this (unfortunately) is no longer the case.

I just got back from a week in BA. Had a great time. Felt like a dirtier version of NYC. So if you like tooling around there you'll like BA. Great food. Was probably lucky I was with someone that used to live there, but would definitely recommend it.

At my last job we farmed out a lot of our development to a team in BA. I wanted to choke half of them professionally, but personally they were really cool and friendly. Always wanted to tag along with my boss sometime when he'd go down there, but then the economy crashed and those trips stopped. I still talk to some of those guys and gals, sounds like a great country for steaks and beer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT