ADVERTISEMENT

When did living your conscience become a crime?

Headhunter

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Stillwater, OK
"I'm not comfortable baking you a cake, ask someone else". "You're a bigot, pay me a bunch of money".

Last edited:
"I'm not comfortable baking you cake, ask someone else". "You're a bigot, pay me a bunch of money".

The fine is indefensible. And it's intellectually dishonest to say that the client couldn't have found another baker.

I definitely believe a business should be able to conduct business with whomever it wants and either reap the benefits or suffer the consequences through the market - especially when alternative competition exists which would provide that service - which was surely the situation here.

However, let's not forget.. it was a cake. Nobody is a hero for standing up to gay marriage by refusing to bake a cake. How is that living your conscience? It would be very different for a minister to refuse to perform the religious ceremony, but a cake vendor is a weird place to draw the line.

Everything and everyone in this story is ridiculous.

Would we celebrate the baker's conscience if they refused service to a mixed race couple, and the baker felt strongly that races shouldn't mix? Serious question.

The fine is indefensible. And it's intellectually dishonest to say that the client couldn't have found another baker.

I definitely believe a business should be able to conduct business with whomever it wants and either reap the benefits or suffer the consequences through the market - especially when alternative competition exists which would provide that service - which was surely the situation here.

However, let's not forget.. it was a cake. Nobody is a hero for standing up to gay marriage by refusing to bake a cake. How is that living your conscience? It would be very different for a minister to refuse to perform the religious ceremony, but a cake vendor is a weird place to draw the line.

Everything and everyone in this story is ridiculous.

Would we celebrate the baker's conscience if they refused service to a mixed race couple, and the baker felt strongly that races shouldn't mix? Serious question.

I don't think anyone who owns a business should have to do anything that they don't want to. I also have no problem if people don't want to do business with them based on their idiot beliefs and if they want to let the whole world know they are idiots power to them.

Reactions: ThorOdinson13
The bakers weren't attempting to become heroes.

Didn't say they were. I'm saying people are making them out to be virtuous, principled heros of conscience.

I'm sure that wasn't their intention one way or another.

Nobody touched my question about what id it was a mixed race instead of a gay couple. Would we be big fans still?

A lot of people including many blacks don't see race and homosexuality as an appropriate comparison.

January 1 1863

The baker did not grossly refuse service to gays. From what I've read, a significant portion of their clientele was gay and the baker had served them for years without any questions asked. Only when the issue of baking a cake for a specific event (in this case a gay "marriage") did the baker refuse.

I've still not seen anyone actually answer my question from the last go-around of this boondoggle. Why would someone choose to do business with a company that explicitly states it doesn't want your business if there are equivalent alternatives available.

Justin

Huh. I'm not aware of this specific case - Is it another deal where gays are offended over pastry issues? Like the new mexico deal? Is it by chance another conservative victim that stood up for Jesus and now has death threats? If so, these contemporary Christians need to toughen up. Living their conscience used to mean dispossession, slavery and/or execution.

When people take a stand for conscience against someone else, they shouldn't get upset when others in turn take a conscientious stand against them.

Huh. I'm not aware of this specific case - Is it another deal where gays are offended over pastry issues? Like the new mexico deal? Is it by chance another conservative victim that stood up for Jesus and now has death threats? If so, these contemporary Christians need to toughen up. Living their conscience used to mean dispossession, slavery and/or execution.

When people take a stand for conscience against someone else, they shouldn't get upset when others in turn take a conscientious stand against them.

So, when there is a disagreement, only one side is allowed to be upset?

Do they take turns, flip a coin or what to decide who gets to be upset?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT