ADVERTISEMENT

What is the Holy Spirit?

MegaPoke

May 29, 2001
Tulsa
www.shipmanphotos.com
John 14:15-17 ESV / 287 helpful votes
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.

theologians will roll their eyes, but.... here's two observations:

1. God is characterized as a "father" and Jesus as a "son." There's no identified female/mother/wife.

2. Genesis identifies wives as helpers.

I've always wondered that too.

Reactions: MegaPoke
He's kind of like the angel that sits on one shoulder, pointing out the path to righteousness.

Me, I like to also cast an ear toward the fellow on the other shoulder, you know, just to hear the dissenting opinion.

Hey! What the heck? I've read the Bible and studied quite a bit of it. How do you think I became an atheist?

I find it interesting that Pentacostals who seem to give more credit to the Holy Spirit (at least in their worship services) than most denominations are looked down on by those same denominations BECAUSE of their connection to the Holy Spirit.

It's also interesting to me that only Doctors of Divinity are credited with knowing what the Bible really says. Put 20 in a room and hear 20 responses to who the Holy Spirit is.

If the Bible were written by a god for "his people," there could be no confusion about what he said and what he meant. ("Holy Spirit, no problem. Everything you need to know right here in this chapter...")

Hey! What the heck? I've read the Bible and studied quite a bit of it. How do you think I became an atheist?

I find it interesting that Pentacostals who seem to give more credit to the Holy Spirit (at least in their worship services) than most denominations are looked down on by those same denominations BECAUSE of their connection to the Holy Spirit.

It's also interesting to me that only Doctors of Divinity are credited with knowing what the Bible really says. Put 20 in a room and hear 20 responses to who the Holy Spirit is.

If the Bible were written by a god for "his people," there could be no confusion about what he said and what he meant. ("Holy Spirit, no problem. Everything you need to know right here in this chapter...")

My apologies. I thought you has taken that stance at one time. No offense intended. Very interested in the feedback here.

When I was a kid, I never remember hearing to the holy spirit referred to anything other than the Holy Ghost. Slowly, but surely that name has dropped out of favor but at age 8/9 I always pictured Casper when the name was brought up.

That aside, the Bible/Jesus describes only one "unforgivable" sin. In Matthew 12, Jesus is addressing the issue that in many of the towns him and the disciples visit there are many people who denounce him or are critical/wary of him. He tells the disciples (12:31) that such things are to be expected and that every sin and slander against him can ultimately be forgiven, but that those who blaspheme/deny/reject (depending upon the translation) the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Christ, and is essentially the voice of God to the world outside of scripture.

According to John, he does not draw attention to himself, rather he is to glorify the Son. He convicts of sin, he converts the sinner.

Is that what you're looking for? I'm kind of scratching my head at the same time appreciating the candid comments by others in this thread. Hollywood and AB remain two of the most interesting personalities on the board to me these days. Please keep posting!

No offense taken whatsoever, Mega. I was laughing when I typed "Hey!." I was thinking, "what am I, chopped liver?" lol.

I know some people think I'm angry with every post, but I'm almost always smiling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT