ADVERTISEMENT

What are the big knocks on Rubio?

JonnyVito

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2008
After watching the announcement and then the news he seems like he would be a great candidate to run against Hillary.

How does his immigration stuff compare to others immigration stuff? It's an important issue but it's not the end all be all for me.

He'd be a solid candidate in the general election, but he isn't right-wing enough on immigration to win the Republican nomination.

Justin

I like him, he has a great story, speaks very positively, young, energetic and comes off as genuine. I don't know him well enough yet to know if he really is genuine, but I know Hillary is not.

During the immigration junk a while back he somewhat moved to the left of center not requiring border security first. He has owned up to that (likely for political reasons), but other than that, so far is have say he talks a good game.

Experience is where he will get slammed though. R's will point to the failure of Obama as reason not to for for a young Senator (throw Cruz and Paul in there as well). His argument will be that presidency shouldn't just be handed down family lines (knock on Bush and Hillary).

His speech yesterday was fantastic. He bashed Hillary pretty good and made it difficult for the press to make it anti women like they will try to do every time she is hammered by Republicans.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Heard this morning his new tax proposal is a little odd for a "tea party" guy. Didn't get the specifics, but seems like he's favoring big government to a degree. Not the way to go.

Originally posted by poke2001:
I like him, he has a great story, speaks very positively, young, energetic and comes off as genuine. I don't know him well enough yet to know if he really is genuine, but I know Hillary is not.

During the immigration junk a while back he somewhat moved to the left of center not requiring border security first. He has owned up to that (likely for political reasons), but other than that, so far is have say he talks a good game.

Experience is where he will get slammed though. R's will point to the failure of Obama as reason not to for for a young Senator (throw Cruz and Paul in there as well). His argument will be that presidency shouldn't just be handed down family lines (knock on Bush and Hillary).

His speech yesterday was fantastic. He bashed Hillary pretty good and made it difficult for the press to make it anti women like they will try to do every time she is hammered by Republicans.

So his immigration policy was more about amnesty then you secure the border or just never secure the border?

The experience thing is what has made me leery of Cruz, Paul or Rubio but I also want some changes so I wonder if some young blood wouldn't help but it is a big catch 22 for me at least.

What is his stances on foreign policy?

I was really impressed with his speech yesterday.

Experience wise I think he's leap years ahead of where Obama was, it's really not even close. I'm really of the mindset of anyone but Bush or Clinton.

Still plenty of time for me to figure out who I'm going to support, Rubio looks interesting.

Originally posted by JonnyVito:

Originally posted by poke2001:

So his immigration policy was more about amnesty then you secure the border or just never secure the border?

The experience thing is what has made me leery of Cruz, Paul or Rubio but I also want some changes so I wonder if some young blood wouldn't help but it is a big catch 22 for me at least.

What is his stances on foreign policy?

I was really impressed with his speech yesterday.
He's a full blown interventionist, preaches American exceptionalism nonsense, is of the same cloth as John McCain and Lindsey Graham, and basically your run of the mill Republican hell bent on imperialism and spreading democracy via force. The GOP warhawks love him and will make sure he gets a lot of GOP support and fundraising. Basically, he is more of the same.

He and Bush will be fighting for the same dollars/machine - in some way weakens the Rhino wing of the party that these two will be sparring, then again they likely suck the oxygen out of the room for everyone else in the GOP.

If he weren't geographically redundant to Bush you might see this as a run for VP. Though given his demographic appeal that is still a strong possibility and of course if someone else breaks out to a strong lead he would be very attractive on the ticket. Though I don't think anyone goes to the efforts he has with an eye to #2.

On the issues:
Immigration reform is a positive and a negative. While I think he has a sensible plan, many to the right of him disagree so vehemently this could be a deal breaker.On foreign policy heads and shoulders above the other contenders. Seeing Christie and Walker stumble in recent trips to London only reinforces how ill prepared these guys are reminiscent of Obama.Also like Obama a big hurdle to overcome is the perception that he is too young and inexperienced - he hasn't earned his way. Personally I would discount this as I think he has the presence to overcome this with greater media exposure.Opposed net neutrality - mostly on philosophical grounds at least publicly.Climate change - it is real, it is happening, discounts arguments that humans have any impact. A negative in my mind as this is typically smoke signals for an attitude of inaction on the topic.ACA - repeal and replace with a few of the better elements. In my mind I am looking for a repeal if and only if there is an individual mandate in the replacement.Double down on sanctions on Iran.Typical Rhino on marriage equality and abortion - 20 week limit on abortion - no same sex marriage.Opposes Cuba normalization.Modest tax reform - cut top corporate income tax, compress brackets to two, do away with capital gains tax (terribly regressive = bad idea though would be great for me personally).Greater power to the executive branch to deal with threats like ISIS.
Won't get my vote based on social and tax policy issues. Wouldn't jump off a bridge if he were nominated and elected.

Thanks guys I am just trying to understand all these candidates.

Rand is my current pick...that said, to compare Rubio to McCain is just silly. McCain was all for cap and trade, and wants to Bomb everyone. I'm sure Rubio is more hawkish than libertarians would want, I don't believe that is his main focus (like McCain).

I wouldn't have a problem at all voting for Rubio in a general election. I think he could do some very good things.

Originally posted by ThorOdinson13:

Here you go JV
Thanks. I have this feeling he will get the win in the primary. I am not saying I endorse him, just think he wins.

And then there is this:

Following similar announcements by Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) has become the third GOP candidate to declare his bid in the 2016 presidential race. The Onion breaks down what you should know about Rubio:[/B]Campaign Slogan[/B]: “Laying the groundwork for 2020â€￾Campaign Strategy[/B]: Leverage Latino voter base, large-scale grassroots movement, death of Jeb BushVision[/B]: Ready for America to reclaim strong conservative values held by 38 percent of its populaceBirthplace[/B]: Closed-door conservative think tank strategy session in 2010Supporters[/B]: Good, hardworking, extremely wealthy AmericansSignature Issue[/B]: Strongly in favor of Marco Rubio being presidentBiggest Liability[/B]: Close ties to state of FloridaIdeas For Turning This Country Around[/B]: 4Conservative Voting Record[/B]: Will downplay or proudly stand by it as necessaryStance On Welfare[/B]: Strongly favors increasing support to beleaguered corporationsHigh School Yearbook Superlative[/B]: Most Likely To Take 11% Share Of Vote In 2016 Iowa Caucus

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT