ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Upcoming Visitors?

JAY45

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 19, 2002
PFB Upcoming Visitors

Who has thoughts on these guys?

It seems like there are tons of potential lower weight guys - will be interesting to see who it boils down to.

Anyone moving to Stillwater seems about as near a lock as there is… (see Heeg)

Last edited:
I really like Jordan, I was hoping see him at super 32. I agree, if you move from Ohio to Stillwater I would imagine he's almost a lock for the pokes.

As far as Burton goes, he's a heck of a wrestler I just hope he can grow, he's pretty small for a junior

Reactions: JAY45
It looks like Luca Felix is Danny Felix's son. Danny would have been an assistant at West Virginia when Caldwell was there. I am sure John has a relationship with Danny too from Danny's time spent on national freestyle teams.

Reactions: JAY45
Hey insiders, Is Clayton Giddens Buttram from Bixby not good enough for an offer? Hasn't done enough yet?

Hey insiders, Is Clayton Giddens Buttram from Bixby not good enough for an offer? Hasn't done enough yet?
Not an insider, so I don't know about the offers he's getting, but I did see he took official visits to OSU & Princeton recently. He hasn't wrestled since the state tournament in February, so that probably hasn't helped. No junior duals, Fargo, Elite 8, or Super32. Might be banged up.

One thing I like about Giddens is he looks like he might be a 165 and we could use some help there. Thompson & Lockett are also possibilities at 165, but they could end up bigger.

Hopefully Giddens goes to Ironman and makes some noise nationally. Roller too.

Reactions: DPJ
Not an insider, so I don't know about the offers he's getting, but I did see he took official visits to OSU & Princeton recently. He hasn't wrestled since the state tournament in February, so that probably hasn't helped. No junior duals, Fargo, Elite 8, or Super32. Might be banged up.

One thing I like about Giddens is he looks like he might be a 165 and we could use some help there. Thompson & Lockett are also possibilities at 165, but they could end up bigger.

Hopefully Giddens goes to Ironman and makes some noise nationally. Roller too.
I know some of Buttram Giddens family. Yeah he had an injury. I know he's an OSU fan,

Hopefully unless these guys are top 25 recruits we just let the Oklahoma guys try to get on academic scholarships. We NEED to land the big national recruits. Now Lockett has proved he is TOP local talent and I have no problem throwing everything we have at those guys.

Reactions: DPJ
There's also a change coming that will impact the juggling of athletic scholarships. Starting in 2023 the minimum will be 20%. So you will no longer be able to offer something like 5/10/15%. With only 9.9 available, that will add up over time.

There's also a change coming that will impact the juggling of athletic scholarships. Starting in 2023 the minimum will be 20%. So you will no longer be able to offer something like 5/10/15%. With only 9.9 available, that will add up over time.
Thought 10% was minimum? That’s the way i remember it for baseball

I know some of Buttram Giddens family. Yeah he had an injury. I know he's an OSU fan,

Yea he has been injured. Should end up a high level recruit and unless just doesn’t fit weight wise, OSU will be where he ends up.

Hopefully unless these guys are top 25 recruits we just let the Oklahoma guys try to get on academic scholarships. We NEED to land the big national recruits. Now Lockett has proved he is TOP local talent and I have no problem throwing everything we have at those guys.
These light weights are good wrestlers but not real good wrestlers. We need Christian Carroll who appears to be a real good wrestler. We have not been good at turning these good wrestlers into real good wrestlers. I watched Jax Forrest beat Jordan Beric badly. You don't accomplish 35 with wrestlers who finish in the top 12 or 16 or even take 6th,7th or 8th. We need guys who can get to the finals or at least place 3rd or 4th. We do need Lockett but we need 3 more stars before he finishes high school. The Idaho kid is not rated that high at 106. Gittens is a good wrestler but I am not aware of him beating a highly ranked wrestler when I have seen him in National Tournament. These wrestlers are likely good kids but I don't see them as being a significant piece with us getting to 35. We should not give them significant athletic scholarship money. That is my opinion which might be right or might be wrong. When is the last time we really developed a good high school wrestler into a college top wrestler. The 184 from long ago and maybe Dean Heil who was highly rated. Maybe Preston Weigel. I am hoping for some real good news after all the bad things happening. Okay news does not make up for the disaster of the last year.

FYI, Heil was ranked #13 overall coming out of HS. White was #45, Weigel was #109 & Boyd was not in the top 200 (pretty sure).

Flo broke down the HS recruit rankings for this year's finals. The average for the champs was #21 PFP. That includes Dean (#74) and Deakin (#97) -- the other 8 champs were all top 12 PFP. The average for all finalists was #19 PFP (including Dean & Deakin, but excluding Clarke because he was outside the top 100).

I think several teams can point to some examples of developing a lower ranked recruit into an AA, but it's still pretty rare. Oddly enough, Northwestern has been very successful at it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT