ADVERTISEMENT

Tech Question Re: multiple routers

hollywood

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I am planning to "cut the cable" (except for internet service) and I have been looking at the Ooma VOIP set up.

The room where my current modem/router set up is located is not my preferred location and already have everything set up on wireless with the new 802.11ac standard running on the 5 Ghz band. (amazing speed difference between my old router which used the 802.11g on the 2.4 Ghz band)

Now, here's the problem: currently the ooma wireless adapter only supports 802.11b/g/n protocols.

I don't want to lose the advantage of the 5 Ghz band and the ac standards, especially as I already have 5 devices using wifi to take advantage of the speed offered through that set-up.

Would it be possible to use another router (I have an extra, that supports 802.11n standards on the 2.4 Ghz band) to service the Ooma telo exclusively, while keeping all my other electronics on my newer ac standard router?

If you have a dual-band 802.11ac router your 802.11ac devices will connect 5Ghz and your VoIP will connect at 2.4Ghz on the same router. Since the 802.11ac router is backwards compatible with older wireless standards.

Otherwise shouldn't be a problem using both routers just use different SSIDs and only connect your 802.11ac devices to the 802.11ac SSID and the VoIP phone to the 802.11n router.

I am planning to "cut the cable" (except for internet service) and I have been looking at the Ooma VOIP set up.

The room where my current modem/router set up is located is not my preferred location and already have everything set up on wireless with the new 802.11ac standard running on the 5 Ghz band. (amazing speed difference between my old router which used the 802.11g on the 2.4 Ghz band)

Now, here's the problem: currently the ooma wireless adapter only supports 802.11b/g/n protocols.

I don't want to lose the advantage of the 5 Ghz band and the ac standards, especially as I already have 5 devices using wifi to take advantage of the speed offered through that set-up.

Would it be possible to use another router (I have an extra, that supports 802.11n standards on the 2.4 Ghz band) to service the Ooma telo exclusively, while keeping all my other electronics on my newer ac standard router?

Have you tried google?

Tell me you lol'd

here is another question...will all the devices (TV's mainly) in the range of the faster wifi ac be able to benefit from the higher speed? Sounds like they won't. So, you go out and by the $300 802.11ac router and nothing changes...except maybe the cell phones?

Purkey,

Yes, my tv downloads (netflix has a meter that shows your download speeds) and my internet download speeds have quadrupled after the switch from the 2.4 b/g/n to 5ghz ac. I used ookla to measure (speedtest.net) and after I switched out my antenna (b/g/n from Netgear) to a $14 ac capable antenna (generic Ebay), my download speeds which were previously ranging from 10 to 12 mbps, are now showing in the 58 to 62 mbps range and uploads went from 2-3 mbps to 5.5-7.5 mbps. All of the buffering which I used to get watching Netflix has completely disappeared.

And for the record, I didn't come close to paying $300 for the 802.11ac router, got it closer to $100 on Ebay. All total, I spent about $160 to upgrade for my blu-ray, tv, xbox 360 and my computer.

BTW, I've decided against using Ooma, I'm going with a cell phone that has a very reduced monthly plan if the majority of your calling is from a wifi network. The up front cost and monthly cost is about the same, but they'll also port my old number for free (Ooma - $39) and obviously, I've got the option of using it as my cell phone as well.

The only issue is that Cox wants to fark me so hard, by only subscribing to their internet offerings. About $25-30 more per month than if I coupled it to their other services.

Plan to use Kodi preloaded Amazon Fire (stick or box) with a sling subscription and a digital antennae for local/network broadcast selections along with Netflix/hulu. With Kodi, I can download a few hundred major cable networks, including Fox Sports to watch my Cowboys.

I'll be saving a small fortune compared to the ass-raping I was getting from Cox previously. Even after buying new equipment (fire) and paying for subscriptions for Sling/hulu/Netflix, my ROI should be less than 3 months. (And I'm not even certain I will continue with Netflix given my viewing patterns.) Should end up paying nearly 1/3 of what I was paying. (Even better if Cox does one of their promotions and drops their stand alone internet service by a few bucks.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
ok hollywood...thanks for all that info. My speeds are 117 and 12 mbps so will they increase that much? You would think so. I'm paying Cox around $65 a month for internet.

Purkey,

Yes, my tv downloads (netflix has a meter that shows your download speeds) and my internet download speeds have quadrupled after the switch from the 2.4 b/g/n to 5ghz ac. I used ookla to measure (speedtest.net) and after I switched out my antenna (b/g/n from Netgear) to a $14 ac capable antenna (generic Ebay), my download speeds which were previously ranging from 10 to 12 mbps, are now showing in the 58 to 62 mbps range and uploads went from 2-3 mbps to 5.5-7.5 mbps. All of the buffering which I used to get watching Netflix has completely disappeared.

And for the record, I didn't come close to paying $300 for the 802.11ac router, got it closer to $100 on Ebay. All total, I spent about $160 to upgrade for my blu-ray, tv, xbox 360 and my computer.

BTW, I've decided against using Ooma, I'm going with a cell phone that has a very reduced monthly plan if the majority of your calling is from a wifi network. The up front cost and monthly cost is about the same, but they'll also port my old number for free (Ooma - $39) and obviously, I've got the option of using it as my cell phone as well.

The only issue is that Cox wants to fark me so hard, by only subscribing to their internet offerings. About $25-30 more per month than if I coupled it to their other services.

Plan to use Kodi preloaded Amazon Fire (stick or box) with a sling subscription and a digital antennae for local/network broadcast selections along with Netflix/hulu. With Kodi, I can download a few hundred major cable networks, including Fox Sports to watch my Cowboys.

I'll be saving a small fortune compared to the ass-raping I was getting from Cox previously. Even after buying new equipment (fire) and paying for subscriptions for Sling/hulu/Netflix, my ROI should be less than 3 months. (And I'm not even certain I will continue with Netflix given my viewing patterns.) Should end up paying nearly 1/3 of what I was paying. (Even better if Cox does one of their promotions and drops their stand alone internet service by a few bucks.)
I admire the effort!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT