ADVERTISEMENT

States you would hate to live in

You sound just like me. If it weren't my family being all around me here in Oklahoma, I'd be way the hell off in nowhere, with many acres surrounding my home and signs posted to beware of projectiles...

I like to joke about building a little self-sufficient compound in rural Montana. Then having signs posted coming up the road marked with meters and shot groupings. As you get closer you see the shot groupings get tighter and tighter.

Not all areas are the same. I live in far western Wyoming. High elevation. Mountain ranges all around, which pretty much function as snow magnets. Three feet of snow or more on the ground is not unusual in the winter here on the west side of the continental divide. So that's why Jackson Hole is such a popular ski resort. We get a ton of snow. It's a challenge to move all that snow to clear roads and driveways, but it's doable. It's worth it. We snowmobile, so that helps.

A clear night in the winter is usually cold. I think it got down to 38 below zero this past winter. Hasn't been below -20something in quite a few years. But it happens. My wife grew up here and she remembers one cold snap back in the 80's when it was -58. Power lines start snapping at that point. She said it really sucked. But that's not a frequent occurrence at all.

On the east side of the continental divide, you're looking at not much snow at all during the winter. But when March or April rolls around, you'll get a couple of snow storms that dump 12-18 inches of snow. That would include the major metropolitan areas of Cheyenne and Casper. Yes, they are around 50,000 population each.

If you're entertaining the idea of relocating, I'd suggest a 7-10 day tour of the state. It's a large area. Even if you don't make the move, you won't regret it if you're into the beauty of nature in a very rural setting.
You're making me want to pick my sh*t up and move there. Love the cold weather, yes I am weirder than the average bear, and find Wyoming as one of the most beautiful places on Earth (visited several times).

You're making me want to pick my sh*t up and move there. Love the cold weather, yes I am weirder than the average bear, and find Wyoming as one of the most beautiful places on Earth (visited several times).

High today is mid 80's with the normal daytime humidity dropping into the 20-30% range as it gets hotter. That's hot for this part of the state.

High today is mid 80's with the normal daytime humidity dropping into the 20-30% range as it gets hotter. That's hot for this part of the state.
I lived in South Florida, folks are now in Little Rock metro, in-laws in Houston metro....those temps with that humidity...ill take it!

Reactions: ThorOdinson13

Granted I don't live in Wyoming but it's just amazing isn't it @wyomingosualum?

We live at 8,800 feet in the Rockies of Colorado. The high today is 77 degrees, humidity is currently at 55% and will drop as it warms to the 30's. This evening we will likely have some nice little showers since the monsoon season has started and it will just smell absolutely amazing. It's also the same here with hitting mid-eighties, that's a hot day. On average we hover around 78-80 in the summer.

Our winters are glorious. We average 85 inches of snow and it doesn't just stick all winter. We have nice enough days it melts off before the next snow and our biggest snows are in March through May. We can get two feet of snow and it will be gone in a few days. My family just absolutely loves it up here. We live pretty close to deer creek so at night you can hear the water running which is something I've always wanted.

We live at 8,800 feet in the Rockies of Colorado. The high today is 77 degrees, humidity is currently at 55% and will drop as it warms to the 30's. This evening we will likely have some nice little showers since the monsoon season has started and it will just smell absolutely amazing. It's also the same here with hitting mid-eighties, that's a hot day. On average we hover around 78-80 in the summer.

Our winters are glorious. We average 85 inches of snow and it doesn't just stick all winter. We have nice enough days it melts off before the next snow and our biggest snows are in March through May. We can get two feet of snow and it will be gone in a few days. My family just absolutely loves it up here. We live pretty close to deer creek so at night you can hear the water running which is something I've always wanted.
It sucked coming back to the OK weather after spending the last 5-6 days in the Rockies

It sucked coming back to the OK weather after spending the last 5-6 days in the Rockies

I can only imagine. We don't even like heading out to the panhandle to see family in the summer. We usually try to plan our trips there in the fall through spring timeframe. And it's not as bad there as it is where you're at. I hate that the kids and Carrie got sick and we didn't make it out to see you guys while you were here. It seems the kids always get sick when we plan something. Last time we went to see family they got sick the night before.

Remind me where you all moved to a few years back. Bailey?

Remind me where you all moved to a few years back. Bailey?

Yes sir, we are in Bailey. People back in OK and TX will give us a hard time in the winter when we say it's cold in the plains. I always explain it's not cold like that here. It's a different cold, not a negative wind chill you can't keep from cutting through every layer of clothing no matter how much you wear. I tell them I'll take our snow and cold any day over the winter storms they have.

Yes sir, we are in Bailey. People back in OK and TX will give us a hard time in the winter when we say it's cold in the plains. I always explain it's not cold like that here. It's a different cold, not a negative wind chill you can't keep from cutting through every layer of clothing no matter how much you wear. I tell them I'll take our snow and cold any day over the winter storms they have.

Based upon your description of your winters, I knew you had to be on the east side of the divide.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT