ADVERTISEMENT

Shocking study on police sex abuse

BvillePoker

Heisman Candidate
Dec 29, 2004
I will preface this by saying that there are cops in my family and I have the utmost respect for police. They have a very difficult and dangerous job to do. This article and the study it references absolutely shocked me. I think sometimes the media sensationalizes stories and and police in general are getting a bad rap. Ninety-nine percent of them are good people and good at their jobs. But I think the microscope that police agencies are under right now may be a good thing by bringing some of the bad apples back in to check and not hiding or covering up the problems and getting rid of the "brothers in blue" shield that has allowed these things to go on without consequences.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fd1d...ds-officers-lose-licenses-over-sex-misconduct

Don't have time to do anything but skim the story right now, but I've been wondering about the OKC cop they are selecting a jury for today. It appears he was nothing but a serial rapist with a badge and gun.

I've always thought low pay in LE leads to hiring too many low-lifes, especially in smaller towns. When I went to my 10-year HS reunion, I was amazed to hear that the two biggest thugs in our class were Texas DPS officers. That was a long time ago and every time I tell that story, someone pipes up and says they heard the same thing.

One of my brothers-in-law was a punk and was a hypo in Colorado for years. You just wonder how many guys are turned on by the thought of getting away with a lot of crap because they have a gun and a badge. Kinda scary.

I know this is anecdotal, but I know it does happen, and according to the story, a lot more than I thought.

I remember in the mid 70's, my brothers were both home from Vietnam and were visiting. A police car pulled up our street and the two cops stopped and called my brothers by name. They got out and talked to my brothers for quite a while. Turns out they were classmates and grown up with my brothers.

When they left, my brothers turned to each other and started laughing. They told me that the two guys were the biggest "Hoods" in their high school class and involved in all kinds of petty thievery and the like.

When I was working a few nights a week as a bartender in DC, I saw cops put a few beatings on people that were completely undeserved. Some of them did perhaps deserve being dealt with, but a stern talking would have been quite enough for one of the guys. I'm talking batons and numerous blows and it seemed to like a shark frenzy with all of the cops trying to crowd in to make certain that they got their blows in, deserved or not. (Many of those blows fell after the "perps" were completely under control and offered no resistance.)

I think the scrutiny is long overdue in many instances. These "internal" review boards IMHO are often nothing short of complete jokes. Like I said in another thread it's like asking Boren, Castiglione and Stoops to conduct an internal investigation of the ou football program for violations and report their findings to the NCAA. Is the result really going to surprise you?

Don't have time to do anything but skim the story right now, but I've been wondering about the OKC cop they are selecting a jury for today. It appears he was nothing but a serial rapist with a badge and gun.

I've always thought low pay in LE leads to hiring too many low-lifes, especially in smaller towns. When I went to my 10-year HS reunion, I was amazed to hear that the two biggest thugs in our class were Texas DPS officers. That was a long time ago and every time I tell that story, someone pipes up and says they heard the same thing.

One of my brothers-in-law was a punk and was a hypo in Colorado for years. You just wonder how many guys are turned on by the thought of getting away with a lot of crap because they have a gun and a badge. Kinda scary.

I know this is anecdotal, but I know it does happen, and according to the story, a lot more than I thought.

He was a bad dude....but it was his fellow officers (some fromhis same academy class) that initiated the investigation, completely a full inquiry, and went and arrested him.

You try to weed out the bad apples early. Some, unfortunately get through.

He was a bad dude....but it was his fellow officers (some fromhis same academy class) that initiated the investigation, completely a full inquiry, and went and arrested him.

You try to weed out the bad apples early. Some, unfortunately get through.

You get abused by a cop most every night.

Reactions: CowboyJD
You get abused by a cop most every night.
Mr. JD, take your time, they can't see you -- can you please pick him out of this lineup?

TheVillagePeople.jpg

Reactions: CowboyJD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT