ADVERTISEMENT

Shamrock v Slice

It's tonight at 8p. I'll be watching, but I'll be hating myself for it.

Oh crap, it was on last night. Replay tonight. Don't tell me what happened. I want to hate myself.

Reactions: Bitter Creek
Recorded it last night, I see. Watching now. Pretty sure I would have heard if Shamrock died in the ring, so it's all good.

Reactions: PDT816
I have no idea why Ken Shamrock continues to fight. He could make a nice living running the Lions' Den and training new and upcoming fighters (if he hasn't already ruined it).

I've maintained that guys like Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Dan Severn, Randy Couture, and Fedor Emelianenko could keep their profile up by hitting the grappling circuit with events like Metamoris.

Talk/rumors going around right now is Royce/Shamrock in Bellator.

The Lion's Den is a shell of its former self.

Maybe we can have a senior/legends division in MMA. I wouldn't mind seeing the legends fight each other, but watching them get outclassed by younger, not very good, fighters just makes me sad.

I'm no MMA aficionado but if I had to pick a fight that was fixed/staged it would have to be that one. For two reasons:

That single leg take down by Shamrock was so slow I thought my TV was freezing up and it didn't look like Kimbo even remotely tried to not get planted on his back.

With all of Shamrock's background how does he not finish Kimbo in that choke? 99 times out of 100 that's ballgame.

I'm no MMA aficionado but if I had to pick a fight that was fixed/staged it would have to be that one. For two reasons:

That single leg take down by Shamrock was so slow I thought my TV was freezing up and it didn't look like Kimbo even remotely tried to not get planted on his back.

With all of Shamrock's background how does he not finish Kimbo in that choke? 99 times out of 100 that's ballgame.

While I can't get myself to really think that they would stage a fight man there were a few things that certainly pointed in that direction. Yes that double leg was VERY slow and the clinch was weak and neither fighter took advantage. Then you have the fact that Shamrock gets him down and flattens him out and doesn't attack? Sinks a choke in and can't tap a guy with a very limited ground game. I don't know but all in all an embarrassment for MMA.

Right, how do you not tap him out in this situation?

3375c748b7ce41816e42abda9fcb2b14

I don't know how you provide a way for the pioneers of MMA to finally get a payday (and hey deserve it), but I have no interest in watching guys past their primes fight. That thing looked like a bum fight off Youtube.

Shouldn't his left hand be behind Slice's head?

You can use the left hand to open up the head to slide your choking arm under his chin. Especially if he's keeping his chin close to his chest. Once the arm is under his chin, then yes, proper technique is to put the left hand behind is head. However, some guys are strong enough (which I'm sure Shamrock is) to finish without putting the hand behind the head.

Shouldn't his left hand be behind Slice's head?

Yeah. The other option is to Gable grip your hands and "Captain America" it...using the free hand to crank the choking arm up and back. Shamrock has always been a leg lock guy, though. His choke game has never been anything, but extremely average.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT