ADVERTISEMENT

Session V

AZ poke

2nd Team
May 29, 2001
We have 3 wrestlers competing in this morning's session. Klimara will wrestle for 7th place. Heil and Crutchmer will wrestle in the consolation semi-finals. Win and they wrestle for 3rd, lose and they will wrestle for 5th.

Klimara has 11 seed Conoway of Penn State for 7th

Heil has Jack of NC St. in the consi semis. Then he will wrestle the winner or loser of Carter (Virginia Tech)/Mecate (ODU) for 3rd or 5th.

Crutchmer has Storley of Minnesota in the consi semis. Then he will wrestle the winner or loser of Kokesh (Nebraska)/Evans (Iowa) for 3rd or 5th.

Heil will be up first on Mat 3.

Heil wins 12-6, and will face the winner of Carter/Mecate. Heil lost to Mecate in round 2, so would be opportunity for redemption but Carter leading Mecate right now.
This post was edited on 3/21 10:21 AM by AZ poke

Crutchmer is up next on Mat 3.

Wow! Crazy ending and now there are challenges and confusion. Looks like Crutchmer should be 6-5 winner.

If Crutchmer won, then he'll face Kokesh of Nebraska for 3rd. If not, then he'll face Evans of Iowa for 5th.

Wow, Crutchmer got screwed in all of that. Now they'll say it was tied and wrestle OT.

This post was edited on 3/21 11:04 AM by AZ poke

I don't understand the confusion. Crutch won the match. He had him on his back with 2 seconds left.

I agree. I don't see how in the world they gave Storley an escape in all of that to say it was tied. Makes NO sense. I think they were so confused, that calling it tied was easiest for the ref and to let the wrestlers settle it... even though Crutchmer already WON!

Storley wins with backpoints in the TB. Crutchmer had that won at the end of regulation and got the shaft. Don't think they can protest it though.

Crutchmer wrestles Evans of Iowa for 5th.

That is another bull shit ref move to allow it to go to OT. But all Crutchmer had to do was escape in his down half, but he gets put on his back and losses.

I must not understand wrestling or am just a homer. Have no clue how Crutch didn't win that match. He got screwed.

Heil will be on Mat 2 for 3rd.

Crutchmer will be on Mat 1 or Mat 3.

They just called our coach to the head table so maybe they are protesting.

Klimara is up next on Mat 3, then Heil on Mat 2. If Crutchmer's result stands, he will probably wrestle on Mat 1.

After all of the challenges, what were the official calls in cruthmer'cruthmer's match?

I either don't understand wrestling or am a homer. Have no clue how Crutch didn't win the match. What a screw job. I still am not sure how the refs came up with a tie score.

This is the ridiculous part... after all the challenges, they said Crutchmer got the first TD (when Storley had the whizzer in), then Storley got an escape BEFORE he was put to his back AND that time had run out and control was not established by Crutchmer before time ran out.

Granted, I was not watching the clock closely during that sequence after the ref awarded the orginal TD, so I don't know at what point time expired, but Storley NEVER had anything that looked like an escape.

Wasn't the mat official actually starting a count on the last TD that eventually was called off?

What burns me is Crutch was doing more of what wrestling needs. He went for it. Didn't try to win by riding him out. He went to his feet and scored. In the end he gets screwed for it.

Yes, the official was counting back points BUT time had run out. They stopped using tappers this round to warn the officials of when time was running out... tappers count down from 4, so the officials have 4 seconds notice when time is almost up. This round (and tonight) however, the officials are wearing buzzers on their wrist or ankle that zap them when time is up. Obviously, in all the excitement of the action at the end of the match, the official didn't feel his buzzer alerting him when the match ended and continued to officiate and count the backpoints. The asst. official had to jump in and let him know that time had run out.

I'm in the arena. Crutchmer got screwed. No other way to say it. Utter and total garbage. Even if they gave the escape, which was dubious at best, crutch had him on his back, before the clock hit zero. There is no way this can be explained away.

Also - they asked a coach to the head table for a reprimand.

I've never seen such a bs call.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Think how it would change college wrestling if:

3 points for TD when a wrestler initiates the move, 2 points for counter

No riding points

Automatic back points for exposure when TD control is established

Might actually see a lot more action and a lot more new fans

1. Ohio St. 93.0
2. Iowa 82.0
3. Edinboro 74.5
4. Cornell 67.5
4. Missouri 67.5
6. Penn St. 62.5
7. Oklahoma St. 61.0
8. Minnesota 59.5
9. Nebraska 59.0
10. Virginia Tech 55.0
11. Michigan 54.0
12. Illinois 46.0
13. Lehigh 39.5
14. Northwestern 33.5
15. Iowa St. 33.0

i am proud of the way crutchmer performed.......i am left wondering what if as he didnt take a single shot against wilps......congrats to him and hopefully it leaves him hungry for more.

The Cowboys will finish the tournament in 7th place. There is a small chance we could leapfrog Penn State into 6th, but only if Alex wins AND Penn State's Brown loses. Both Alex and Brown are favored in their finals match. A pin from Alex wouldn't be enough if Brown wins.

All in all, it was a good tournament for our Pokes. Several of our guys gained some ground in this tournament ("jumped levels" as Harley likes to say) and will be stronger next year for it.

Crutchmer's ride out in ot was huge. I dont remember him riding anyone for more than 15 second the entire tournament. People liked to claim Perry never wrestled but the 174's from the big ten didnt wrestle much at all.

Good summary AZ. Was my first time to nationals in about 5 years and was better than expected from a team standpoint. Marsden was a bit of a letdown based on seed but Heil and Crutchmer were great and Kilmara and Collica both came just short of doing something special as well.

I think we definitely need a better alternative at 133 and 197 as well as replacing kindig but come back fairly strong at 7 weights next year and should give us a chance. Looking foreard to AD tonight.

I will say having gone to my first nationals about 20 years ago and every few years since I am a little concerned at the average age of our fanbase that travels to nationals. Lots of people who go year in, year out but very few young people and I wonder what our contingent will look like in 10 years. Critical that the program get more young people interested so that we don't fall any further behind the big boys when it comes to attendance. On that stage it makes a huge difference having a big cheering section.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Hopefully 197 gets a boost next year with Weigel, reports have been good. GWH at 133 is a bright spot, he has his shirt pulled halfway through the year and got s lot of experience at the tourney. I expect big improvements next year. 149 should be manned by Collica, which will be a huge improvement over an injured Kindig. I feel terrible for him!! 157 will be interesting next year, hopefully Blees is ready to go, but there are some other options as well.

To find a bright spot in the Crutchmer screw job..... there were no matches against an Iowa opponent until Crutchmer faced Evans.
Was nice to see a win there. 174 and 141 weights clear out next year so Heil and Crutch could be big point scorers next year. If Marsden ever decides to show up for the tournament and Eddie and Collica continue to improve we could be back in the hunt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT