ADVERTISEMENT

Sear's Tools

hollywood

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I don't know if they have them in your area, but Sears seems to be liquidating their Dewalt brand socket sets. They're selling them at my local branch at a price which is about 65% off their original price. (Hell, they're selling at prices $20-$30 cheaper than the lowest price on Ebay.) Sears had an exclusive on these for a couple of years, but now Dewalt is selling them to other outlets (home depot)

I bought a starter 25 piece 1/2 drive set, a few months back, and I have to say that these may be the best, most substantial (size & weight) set of ratchet wrenches I've ever used in my life. (Better than the American made Craftsman "pro" sets and IMO better than Armstrong and Snap-On. I really hate saying that, as the Dewalts are made in Taiwan and I hate seeing America being bested in the tool manufacturing area.)

The local store in MWC had the 118 pc set (1/4" & 3/8" drive ratchets) with a full array for MM and SAE in both deep and standard depth, along with 3 wrenches in MM & SAE and allen key sets. The sockets are great 6 point, with the groove on the bend to maximize torque and help stop rounding off a nut. The price? $60 (right at 50 cents per item), and once again I was the recipient of a "surprise" $14 off credit.

The 156 piece set (3/8" & 1/2" drive) is likewise well equipped with 6 wrenches each in MM & SAE along with an array of hex bit sockets in addition to all the deep and standard depth sockets. $80

204 piece set features all 3 drive sizes and is selling for $120 on closeout.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/hand-tools-mechanics-tools-mechanics-tool-sets-dwmt72165.aspx

Selling currently at Amazon for $240 - may be a great time to pick up your favorite mechanics early Christmas or birthday present. BTW, the 118's are going for $130 and 156 set for $204 on Amazon as well, with Home Depot pricing them at $119 (118 pc), $129 (156 pc)

Also, they were having a sale on a 20 piece GearWrench 20 pc SAE and MM ratcheting wrench (open face on one end, with ratchet on the other) for $29. Those are selling on Ebay for as much as $80 and look very nice. Plus, that's a far cheaper price than a much lesser quality set costs at Harbor Freight!

I don't know if they have them in your area, but Sears seems to be liquidating their Dewalt brand socket sets. They're selling them at my local branch at a price which is about 65% off their original price. (Hell, they're selling at prices $20-$30 cheaper than the lowest price on Ebay.) Sears had an exclusive on these for a couple of years, but now Dewalt is selling them to other outlets (home depot)

I bought a starter 25 piece 1/2 drive set, a few months back, and I have to say that these may be the best, most substantial (size & weight) set of ratchet wrenches I've ever used in my life. (Better than the American made Craftsman "pro" sets and IMO better than Armstrong and Snap-On. I really hate saying that, as the Dewalts are made in Taiwan and I hate seeing America being bested in the tool manufacturing area.)

The local store in MWC had the 118 pc set (1/4" & 3/8" drive ratchets) with a full array for MM and SAE in both deep and standard depth, along with 3 wrenches in MM & SAE and allen key sets. The sockets are great 6 point, with the groove on the bend to maximize torque and help stop rounding off a nut. The price? $60 (right at 50 cents per item), and once again I was the recipient of a "surprise" $14 off credit.

The 156 piece set (3/8" & 1/2" drive) is likewise well equipped with 6 wrenches each in MM & SAE along with an array of hex bit sockets in addition to all the deep and standard depth sockets. $80

204 piece set features all 3 drive sizes and is selling for $120 on closeout.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/hand-tools-mechanics-tools-mechanics-tool-sets-dwmt72165.aspx

Selling currently at Amazon for $240 - may be a great time to pick up your favorite mechanics early Christmas or birthday present. BTW, the 118's are going for $130 and 156 set for $204 on Amazon as well, with Home Depot pricing them at $119 (118 pc), $129 (156 pc)

Also, they were having a sale on a 20 piece GearWrench 20 pc SAE and MM ratcheting wrench (open face on one end, with ratchet on the other) for $29. Those are selling on Ebay for as much as $80 and look very nice. Plus, that's a far cheaper price than a much lesser quality set costs at Harbor Freight!

U turning to a gear head, wood?

When I want a trolley garage door opener, I always buy Sears. Their belt drive with battery back up is a good deal. Around 210 for opener, 2 remotes and keyless. The girl who owns the Sears outlet in quail is a doll too.

I haven't seen a jack shaft style opener at Sears. They are the best and lift master has a great one.

Northern tool at sw74 / penn has a good deal on tools too.

Boxter,

I've been turning a wrench since I was about 13. I spent a lot of time under cars starting with the first one I bought.

My current "hobby" is restoring old power machines from the 30's thru 50's. Have a 1939 Walker Turner standing drill press (bought at a Govt Surplus auction back in 53' that is reportedly from a WWII Battleship's machine shop) that's about half-way there, a 40's Duro/M-Wards table top drill press, an early 50's Walker Turner disc/belt sander and 3 Craftsman (King Seeley) table saws and a few other older/rarer items in various states of restoration.

Hey Boxter, shoot me your email address if you see this, there's something I want to talk about with you.

Funny you are restoring old machines. My neighbor has an old Craftsman lathe and drill press that he said he would give me just to get it out of his garage. Looks like it was expensive stuff back in the 70s. Seems like a lot of the older machines were built way heavier than the stuff I see these days. In fact, I can't find a decent 3 jaw hub puller that is better than my ancient one I use to remove the rear hubs on old jeeps. When they come up on eBay (for those into old jeeps and whatnot), they sell for big money. I used to have two, but one seems to have grown legs. Or it's stuck in my dads barn.

I have bought new socket sets in the last 10 years that have cracked on some stuck bolts. I will go and grab the impact sockets in that case, or some of the older craftsman sockets that my dad had squirreled away. If these Dewalt sockets are tough for sure I might have to snag a set.

The gap in quality between Snap-on and Cornwell stuff compared to the average stuff sold these days is getting much larger.

The old Craftsman drill press would be worth having. The lathes from back then are hit and miss, depending on how it was used/abused.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT