ADVERTISEMENT

scope question

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
Alrighty then, things are slow here so I wanted to get your in'sights' ;). I have a nice Leupold European 30MM tube scope in 3x9 that sits on one of my rifles. I don't use this one much, but I had it at the range yesterday along with a couple of other rifles to check zero, and enjoy the day.

Sometime in the last year or so, (time flies so I'm guestimating), I noticed the recticle isn't in focus at the 100 yds, (or even 50). I wear progressive glasses (not contacts due to a serious astigmatism), and I can only see the recticle in focus as well as the target in focus if I view it through the reading (close up) portion of my glasses. My other scopes show the recticle and target clearly by using the distance portion of my glasses, as they should. Whats up with this? It makes it unusable. I did have a new recticle put it in by Leupold a few years ago, and it came back fine at that time.... this is what I'd call a mid priced scope and has great low light performance. But....Its gone wacky. I'm going to send it back to see if they can figure it out, but wanted to check with you. It is not an AO scope. Thoughts?

Last edited:
In messing with the scope tonight, I found the simple answer and feel superbly dumb right now. While in the past the reticle was focused and clear, somehow it had become badly out of focus. It was a simple matter of using the eyepiece focus to fix the problem. I should have known this. Another Oldtimer's moment. Now it's fine.

Last edited:
I kinda figured it was something simple like that. However, I wasn't even thinking in those terms since I figured you had already done that lol. I have done the same thing. Got a scope with my Ruger M77 and was cornfused as hell at first with why it was all blurry, then I snapped out of it and adjusted the eye piece.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT