ADVERTISEMENT

Salsa in the square 5/21

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
OnThursday 5/21 Team USA will wrestle Team Cuba. In addition exhibition matches will be held and includes an exhibition match between Alex Dierenger two X NCAA Div. I champion vs. Joey Davis 3X NCAA Div. II champion of Notre Dame College. Davis is undefeated in college and wrestles at 174 the weight which they will wrestle. The matches will be webcast live by FloSports and the exhibition matches held at 3:45 pm on 5/21 and I assume that is eastern time. The dual will beheld at 5:45pm.
USA lineups:
55kg Tony Ramos
65kg Brent Metcalf
74kg David Taylor
74kg Jordan Burroughs
86kg Jake Herbert
97kg Kyle Snyder
125kg Tervel Dlagnev

OnThursday 5/21 Team USA will wrestle Team Cuba. In addition exhibition matches will be held and includes an exhibition match between Alex Dierenger two X NCAA Div. I champion vs. Joey Davis 3X NCAA Div. II champion of Notre Dame College. Davis is undefeated in college and wrestles at 174 the weight which they will wrestle. The matches will be webcast live by FloSports and the exhibition matches held at 3:45 pm on 5/21 and I assume that is eastern time. The dual will beheld at 5:45pm.
USA lineups:
55kg Tony Ramos
65kg Brent Metcalf
74kg David Taylor
74kg Jordan Burroughs
86kg Jake Herbert
97kg Kyle Snyder
125kg Tervel Dlagnev
One hour until Flo starts live web coverage of this event with 3-4 women's exhibition matches and the exhibition match with Alex.USA vs. Cuba will follow that and they will start off with the heavyweight match.

Alex weighed in at 83kg and Joey Davis at 84.5 kg . They both had their warmups on.83 kg is 182# and 84.5 is 186.9#.

Last edited:
Alex weighed in at 83kg and Joey Davis at 84.5 kg . They both had their warmups on.83 kg is 182# and 84.5 is 186.9#.
Very cautious by both Alex and Davis in the first period with Alex leading at the break 1-0 on caution.Alex turned it on in second with two takedowns and two guts. Davis made only one move the whole match and Alex turned it into a takedown. Davis much taller with Alex more compact. Not really impressed with Davis and I guess that is the difference between div. I and div II.

57 kg It was a long night for Tony Ramos against Bonne Rodriguez. Rodriguez appeared to be much stronger and countered Ramos' every move into takedowns for a 14-1 technical fall.

97kg Javier Cortina in appearance makes J'den Cox look like a 97 pound weakling however relentless pressure by Kyle Snyder resulted in a takedown and two push-outs and a 4-0 win.

65kg It was 3-2 Metcalf in the first period against Maren Costillo and a takedown and a gut and a pushout for Metcalf garnered him the 8-5 decision.

74kg David Taylor wrestled 4X world medalist Livian Lopez and showed him no respect with a takedown immediately after the match started but Lopez countered with a four point move to go ahead 6-6 at the break. This did not daunt Taylor who hit a 4 point move of his own in the second and followed that up with a turn, two more takedowns and another turn for an 18-7 tech fall.

86 kg Salas was a defensive genius against Jake Herbert and won 8-4.

74 kg Jordan Burroughs wrestled Cuban second teamer Luis Quintana and it was no contest and was leading 9-0 when he took him down and pinned him early in the 2nd period. I want to see another match with Burroughs and Taylor as they are truly the two best 74 kg wrestlers in the world at this time IMO.

Letsgohawks probably has a good point about the Dierenger/Davis match. Alex is head and shoulders better than anyone at his weight or a weight above. Having never seen Davis before I had no basis to judge him but he showed nothing against Dierenger which is most likely due to Alex. All the hype that preceded Davis led me to believe he might be competitive with Alex and he was not. I trust that the weigh-in weight for Alex of 182 pounds (fully suited with warmup) does not lead either he or the coaches to thinking about 174 next year. He would win it but we will be a much stronger TEAM with Alex at 165 and Crutchmer at 174 backed up by an extremely able Chandler Rogers.

BURROUGHS is the best 74 in the world yes. Taylor is not better than Targush. JB barely is.

BURROUGHS is the best 74 in the world yes. Taylor is not better than Targush. JB barely is.
Wildturk, You are probably correct in your assessment but here is my reasoning. The latest world rankings would make both of us incorrect as at 74kg Denis Tsargush of Russia is #1 and Jordan Burroughs is #2.David Taylor is not ranked in the top 20 however guess who is #3-That would be Livan Lopez of Cuba who Taylor just teched at BTS. Taylor is a rising star and putting him in the top 5 right now would not be a stretch. Taylor is improving in Freestyle by leaps and bounds and his last showing against Burroughs shows he is not far off. However, I really do not follow Freestyle enough to make these pronouncements.

Wildturk, You are probably correct in your assessment but here is my reasoning. The latest world rankings would make both of us incorrect as at 74kg Denis Tsargush of Russia is #1 and Jordan Burroughs is #2.David Taylor is not ranked in the top 20 however guess who is #3-That would be Livan Lopez of Cuba who Taylor just teched at BTS. Taylor is a rising star and putting him in the top 5 right now would not be a stretch. Taylor is improving in Freestyle by leaps and bounds and his last showing against Burroughs shows he is not far off. However, I really do not follow Freestyle enough to make these pronouncements.
BTW the rankings are not heavily peopled by USA wrestlers.
57kg Two Korean wrestlers are at 1 and 2 with a Georgian and a Mongolian 3rd and 4th and a Russian at 5th. Anthony Ramos is ranked 13th.
61kg Bogomoev of Russia is 1st and Esmailpour of Iran 2nd and Yowlys Bonne Rodrigudez at 3rd and he dropped down to 57 to anhilate Ramos in the BTS. The USA has no wrestlers in the top 20 at this weight.
65kg Mohamadi of Iran is 1st with Kurbanaliev of Russia 2nd. Brent Metcalf is ranked 5th.
70kg Russia is 1st and Poland second. Nick Marable is ranked 13th.
74kg 1. Denis Tsargush-Russia
2. Jordan Burroughs USA
3.Livan Lopez Cuba
4. Tkatani Japan
5. Kurbanov Uzbekistan
18. Tyler Caldwell USA
86kg 1. Sadulaev Russia
2. Meksam Mosgtafa Joukar-Iran
3. Salas Perez Cuba
4. Mohammadian Iran
5.Hushtyn-Belarus
15 Clayton Foster USA
97kg 1. Gadisov Russia
2. Gazumov Azerbaijan
3. Sharifov-Azerbaijan
4. Andriitsev Ukraine
5. Yazdani Iran
6. Javier Cortina Lacerra Cuba
18.JakeVarner USA
HWT 1. Taha Akgul Turkey
2. Domeil Ghasemi Iran
3. Aleksander Khotsianivili Ukraine
4. Muradin Kushkov Russia
5. Aleksy Shemarov Belarus
7. Tervil Dlagnev USA

Tsargush has beaten both Taylor (tf last month) and Burroughs in his last match with each of them. I believe Burroughs' injury played a roll in his loss and he could reverse that result this year if given the chance (Tsargush may not be at Worlds).

As much as I like Taylor, if he were to make the team (another Burroughs' injury) this year I wouldn't bet on him beating Tsargush or even getting a World medal. Based on results over the last few years I would say Americans tend to show up at these "exhibition" bouts in closer to top form than the rest of the world (especially on US soil).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT