ADVERTISEMENT

RIP "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (Roddy Toombs)

Totally agree, 'Wood. That's one of those movies I'd watch whenever I came across it. It was a John Carpenter movie, right? One of the best 80's fight scenes between he and Keith David. (Or is it David Keith? I forget).

"You...You look ok. This one?? Formaldehyde face!"

Damn. Pretty soon there won't be anyone left from the first days of wrestleMania. About all that's left is Hulk Hogan, and apparently he is embroiled in all sorts of greasy silliness. Brother.

Macho man and Melissa, Andre, Warrior, Rowdy, the American Dream,....I guess we still have the Iron Sheik. Maybe Wendy Richter is still running around with all kinds of blue eye shadow....

-64c2f8cec30e6f34.JPG

Just one of many moments where he brought some joy to a kid who needed it...

Another one going before his time. Piper was at least half nuts and that's a lot of what made him great. Like Dusty his proficiency in the ring wasn't what made them have such a connection with the people. I thought Ronda Rousey's tribute to him leading her post fight interview was nice. I was hoping she'd do that.

There is obviously a larger commentary on why many of these healthy appearing ex wrestlers die too young but sadly it looks like the trend will continue.

I don't watch wrestling but did as a kid and love reading but about these guys. The guy on Grantland does a good job with stuff like this. Here is his piece on Piper. Thought he summed him up amazingly.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/r...he-giant-wrestlemania-3-jimmy-superfly-snuka/

Wow. Great article. I grew up watching wrestling and I always knew it was a little too over the top to be real as a kid lol. But it was mindless fun to me, much like the video games I continue to play to this day. I actually liked Piper when I watched, I didn't appreciate his character as much as I do now, that article summed up anything I could even think to say about all that.

Death is inevitable of course, but it's very sobering to watch as still relatively young guys that I watched as a kid die at early ages.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT