ADVERTISEMENT

Remington Model 8

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
It's no secret to my friends I'm into guns that are somewhat obscure or forgotten, especially those that are high quality, or at least were during their day...

My latest "review" is for a gun that, at least at first, I didn't know much about. I had seen pics of this in old ads for Remington but never really knew what it was...the Remington Model 8.

Yes, it's a take down gun. As far back as the turn of the century there was a market for guns that could break down into smaller parts for storage. This particular example is a 1915 Remington Model 8. Many were chambered in .35 Remington, but this one is chambered in the now hard to find .30 Remington. I just recently got this after finding it in the back of my local gun store, and decided to bring it home after more research.

The model 8 started out as The Remington Autoloader in 1906. It is fact a John Browning design. As you can see, it's barrel is large but that's because its a shroud that houses springs with an internal barrel...it's a recoil design that absorbs some of the force, fairly ahead of its time definitely. The gun was produced until 1950, with a name change and minor "improvements" in 1936 (became known as the Remington model 81, stock was changed and the foregrip was fattened up a bit). It was offered in various grades and calibers, from .25 Remington up to .300 Savage. Apparently there are some rather ornate examples out there in terms of engraving. Mine is simply the standard grade, which is what most were at the time.

The rifle has a significant place in history as it was used by Frank Hamer, the law man who hunted down Bonnie and Clyde. His and other police examples were given 20 round police only removable magazines (the gun has a fixed mag that holds 5 rounds, 4 if using .35 Remington and .300 Savage).

I'm anxious to take this out and give it a whirl. I came across a company in OKC that makes .30 Remington, so I grabbed a few boxes to have on hand. The round is the parent case of the 10 mm and 6.5 SPC, and it can be made using 30-30 cartridges and load data. From what I have read, .30 Rem was the equivalent to 30-30 Winchester, and over time the expensive Model 8/81 became too expensive when there were cheaper options. The gun was actually experimented with in war with the French and some other militaries over the years, mostly during WW1. But again, despite its design being successful, cheaper to make examples were used of course, and the military didn't adopt auto fire rifles until the late 1930s in the form of the M1 Garand (this is a common theme throughout the years, back in the day, our military was behind the game on gun tech usually, see the lever gun in the 1860s and the military's continued use of the single shot trap door rifle until the 30-40 Krag of 1896).

In included a pic of Frank Hamer's model 81 for comparison with the larger mag. Would love to have an example of it with the original Remington .35 caliber cartridge, it was known to shoot through 5/16 inch steel plate back I the day...

Anyway, anybody else have one of these? Would love to hear some others thoughts...

Stay tuned...my next "review" will cover another rare gun...in a week or so, I will cover the M6 Scout. And the one I'm going to share will be quite a doozy...very rare, more so than what the M6 Scout already is....

Took this old rifle out for the first time the other day. I only have one load I can use, Reeds Ammo 170 g .30 Remington. I could use some vintage cartridges I guess, but doubtful I would get much better results.

Here is the ammo. This is one of the original old stripper clips I found for this gun.

First 5 shots. The bottom 3 were the first 3 shots, then the top two after I adjusted my aim. Not bad for 101 year old gun with iron sights at 50.

Next 4. I changed my POA to left of the target a bit. The last shot I bobbled a bit. Again, I'm happy with the group. Seems to string them from left to right a bit. I would be comfortable using this during deer season going by what I see here. The round travels at 2050 fps per Reeds. So a little faster than .30 carbine with a heavier bullet. I would guess around 12-1300 ft/lbs at 100 yards. On par with 30-30 Winchester data I have seen, and about right since that was the equivalent load back in the day (also, that is the data that is used for reloading purposes, the 30-30 Win).

I included a link to a video of a guy reviewing this gun. At the 4:48 mark, you can see in slow motion how much is going on when the gun is fired. It's actually pretty sweet and worth watching. In the end he discusses his thoughts on what the recoil is like. That gun he's using is .25 Rem, mine is .30 Rem. I don't know how much different that is, but the cartridges I purchased from Reeds appear to be a bit hotter than what I had seen from data from the original .30 Remington IIRC. I had my gun benched, but my sled is kinda cheapo and the gun definitely would bounce around quite a bit. Fired some off hand and it packs a wallop. You would think the recoil barrel would absorb that, but it's not the case. It is a strange feeling and tough to describe because of all the movement, slinging the barrel and bolt back and forth, I felt like I got a bit of a rocking motion that I haven't felt with any other gun.

At any rate, it's a very interesting John Moses Browning designed gun. I would love to find a 20 mag for this gun and the vertical foregrip I have seen in some images. Would have given the old "Chicago Typewriter" a good run lol.

Very cool. Think my grandpa has several, he was one of the head accountants for Remington for 20+ years.

Evil, if he's got one with the extended mag....I WANT IT. Lol...

I imagine that line forms to the right...

Dont know what exactly he has, but I will try to remember to ask him next time we talk.

I would actually dig just seeing such things. But I know that's probably not kosher really, people don't much like sharing their collection to folks they don't know these days.

I must say, the model 8/81 has become one of my favorites to take out to the range lately. I wish ammo wasn't so expensive/hard to find, but I can reload the brass I have and Reeds in OKC has a ton of .30 Rem for sale right now. I just need to free up some cash and grab a few more rounds.

That load would be adequate for a lot of game inside 100 yards. I like the rifle a lot, but I love old lever actions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT