ADVERTISEMENT

Reloading

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
So I'm about to get into this...probably will go with a Lee, progressive, and start with some 44 caliber reloads, 44 magnum, 44 special and 44-40. Also have quite a bit of 5.56.

Anyone have experience that can tell me how they started? Buy a book and go from there? If so, what's a good beginner reloading book? Of course I can google, but I like to hear first hand experiences.

On one hand it's not Rocket Surgery, while also being exacting to ensure safety. There are quite a few steps to ensure both safety and consistency/accuracy. The Lee should be quite good for what you are going to do. I have always enjoy playing around with load /bullet data, but haven't gone all out with my own chronometer, etc. A lot of time in reloading used brass is prepping the brass. Obviously, final accuracy on the range/field depend on exacting tolerances in all areas when reloading, but this is part of the fun. When you get into it knee deep, you may want a good scale and a brass tumbler, etc. It's an enjoyable hobby to me. Keep us posted please!

Oh, not that you'd do otherwise, but stick to the load data for your specs in the Manuals, as you obviously don't want to exceed pressures, etc. I only say this because I knew a guy once who was loose with everything he did and he blew up a shotgun with his loads. The idiot was almost awarded the Darwin Award.

(Oh, I got started loading shotshells when a teenager (in the early 70's) as between dad and I, we shot a lot of shells and the variety / quality of loads at that time was meager, So I cooked up our own high velocity shells that make a big difference in knocking down birds as well as clays. Ever just know you were on that bird but it didn't fall or even flinch? What the ???? When I started cooking up some dove and quail loads with my favorite - 7.5 shot and 1350 fps, those same birds came down cleanly. Now you can find that load on the dealers shelf if you look hard enough, but could not back then)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rulz
Thanks TCP. That actually helps, mainly because I have absolutely no experience with this and was wondering if it was as easy as it appears to be. I plan on getting everything I need and just following things step by step at first. Maybe later I will experiment, but not before I get all the basics down pat.

It appears I will be needing dies for quite a few calibers (I shoot a lot of different guns). Lots of 44-40 and 308 as well as what I had already mentioned. It appears I will also be loading for my Garand and my .30 Remington for my old Model 8. I did find out that 30-30 load data works for .30 Remington.

It is simple in that you are assembling components to make the cartridge but like most things there is a lot of technical and exacting detail to doing so. The presses and reloaders make it pretty easy, having the right Dies, etc. and especially the powder measure, setting the right bullet depth, matching up the right primers, etc. But since you like messing with the details of guns, You should do great at this too.

Reactions: dtspoke
We do a ton of reloading, especially since I shoot some more exotic calibers and load to SAAMI, plus it's gets expensive. Loading shotgun shells is pretty easy, loading rifle is a little more difficult technically, but way more interesting.

I use a few different manuals and software, in this order of preference:

Lyman 49th Edition: Amazon product ASIN B001MYEU0EHornady 9th Edition: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-9th-Handbook-Cartridge-Reloading/dp/B00A95QWGM
Lee Precision: Amazon product ASIN B000N8OKAU
I also use
Load Data: https://www.loaddata.com/Home
Quickload: http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/test-quickload-review/

And finally, if haven't been on them already, two very, very good forums for shooting, rifles, reloading, development, etc

24hourcampfire.com
accuratereloading.com

Lots and lots of knowledge in all of this material and you can lose yourself for hours going through all the experience, opinions, tech data, etc.

I really got started loading shotgun shells as a kid with my dad, and did that for years before loading a rifle cartridge. I understood the principles fairly well, but had to do a ton of research to determine what powder worked best for specific use, load data for performance, bullet construction, seating, etc.

If you stay close to the recommended load data for each caliber, you won't run into pressure issues, like TCP alluded to.

Some of it is super fun, like learning how to fire form for wildcats, and experimenting with obscure loads for different usage and caliber.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT