ADVERTISEMENT

Recipe using Rice Bran?

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
I think someone on here a year or two ago posted their special buck rice bran recipe. Anyone hook me up with that recipe?

I want to say something like Rice Bran, strawberry jello mix, and something else??????

Originally posted by TexasCowPoke:
I think someone on here a year or two ago posted their special buck rice bran recipe. Anyone hook me up with that recipe?

I want to say something like Rice Bran, strawberry jello mix, and something else??????
strawberry jello, and some brown sugar. I mix it in 5 gallon buckets using mixing paddle hooked my cordless drill.

Originally posted by cowpoke74:
Originally posted by TexasCowPoke:

strawberry jello, and some brown sugar. I mix it in 5 gallon buckets using mixing paddle hooked my cordless drill.
Here is my recipe and I added a little to it.

5 gallon bucket
2 bags of brown sugar (2 pound bags)
8 packets of strawberry jello (I have yet to find apple jello)
2 cups of salt
As much rice bran as you can fit in it
Cracked corn or any corn (it helps mix it better, and they seem to eat it better)

I first fill the bucket half full of rice bran, then I pour in one bag of sugar, 4 jello packets, one cup of salt and a few handfuls of corn. I then mix it with my drill and grout paddle. I do the same thing again to get a full bucket.

Usually, I'll take the bucket and dump it out; but here lately, I put it in gallon zip lock bags and dump it out by my stand or where I want to take my shot...being careful not to walk across trails that might throw up my scent. Funny thing about it, it seems to help with my scent control.

I used to pour it out on the ground but I now use old plastic barrels cut in half and hung between 4 tpost high enough to keep pigs out of it.

Chase, I like that recipe. Add a little milk and I'll call it breakfast.

This will be interesting as I've not used Rice bran before. How much do you put out at one time?

(when I spread corn, I can use 150lb + per week. I've used a many at 600 lbs a week in one spot and it will all be gone in a few days. :)

tcp

I actually started using my gallon bags because it was only good for a few days for getting pics or hunting over. If it was put out and a deer caught wind, they generally came to check it out and I actually got to use it as an attractant.

Thanks guys! I brewed some up today and put it out- have a camera on one of the locations to see what happens. My ranch owner swears it will bring in the bears. We'll see. I've seen his pics with bears up in his feeder when it has rice bran in it. Pics from the last two weeks, No pics that are especially good, but 4 solid bucks and one about 150.
We'll see if I can catch them coming in with my bow in the next couple of weeks.

A week ago Monday, I went back home and set up a stand, rice bran dump spot, game cam and a feeder. Went back this weekend to hunt BP. Swapped out the CF cards and checked out the pics while on stand on my laptop.

1,600 pictures in 5 days! Now, there were a ton of repeats, as the cam was set to take pics every 3 seconds when something is there. Let me tell you, the rice bran WORKS. There was one spike that had pictures taken of him nearly every 3 seconds over the course of an hour. LOL. Not only did it work, it worked fast. The first pics on the cam were at 8:30 PM. We finished up in the area around 3:30 pm. Pretty much all of the deer spent 10+ minutes at the rice bran, every time.

All in all, there are approximately 8-10 different doe and fawn that hit it over those 5 days. There were at least 5 different bucks - 3 spikes, including one "unicorn" that might be 6-8 months old. A six pointer that also has the look of a baby (short snout). Then there's this guy. I've got him pegged as being 3.5 at the most, could be 2.5. He never showed up in daylight, and for the most part all of the pics were in the middle of the night. Did get some of spike and doe on the bran and at the feeder during daylight hours. I hunted the stand Saturday evening and Sunday morning and didn't see a single deer while on stand. Saw several going in and leaving 1/4 mile or more from the stand. Thinking I may have to move the whole setup.

Saturday afternoon, I mixed up a batch of chase's recipe and then really screwed up. My initial pile was a couple yards inside a fence between the pasture and our back hay meadow. Rather than climbing the fence and having the extra motion and noise, I just reached as far as I could and dumped the bucket. 45 minutes before dark, the cattle found it and my reach was clearly not far enough. They wiped out 3-4 gallons in 20 minutes. 4 or 5 jockeying for position the whole time.

On Sunday, we setup a new stand on the other side of the county road in between our "lake" (8 acre pond) and another pond in a deep ravine that runs between them. Stand is in a pecan tree and the feeder and bran pile are near one of the biggest damn oak trees I've ever seen. We measured it, and if I remember right, the circumference was a shade over 150". The rain on Monday probably ruined the bran pile, but hopefully they found it quick.

1615318.jpg

This post was edited on 11/5 2:52 PM by Jeff J.

This post was edited on 11/5 2:55 PM by Jeff J.

Here's another pic from the night before the first one. He's photogenic for sure. Dad had him on a cam at the "lake" a week before. Also in the dark. The lake is nearly a mile from my new setup.

1615321.jpg

Yeah, I should've disclaimered the recipe for cows. I had one old charolaise cow destroy one side of a pen made from hog panels when I put out that stuff.

I had to rework a ton of pens because of that and I am guessing she was the culprit.

If anybody has any success stories of the bran+ingredients, please share them. I like to know it works everywhere and not just where I hunt...even with Acorns on the ground. I will say it is no match for Acorns and Persimmons, but they still enjoy it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT