ADVERTISEMENT

Rand Paul is making it official....

Originally posted by JimmyBob:

He doesn't have a prayer.
Will you educate me on why he doesn't have a prayer? It seems like he would have a better chance than Ted Cruz. Paul seems to want less Federal Govt and more power in the states hands. Paul seems to be a Conservative/Libertarian and Cruz seems to be a Strong Conservative. Who is the real contender from the Republican side?

Originally posted by twiza:

Will you educate me on why he doesn't have a prayer? It seems like he would have a better chance than Ted Cruz. Paul seems to want less Federal Govt and more power in the states hands. Paul seems to be a Conservative/Libertarian and Cruz seems to be a Strong Conservative. Who is the real contender from the Republican side?
I think he has "a prayer". But, he will face the full brunt of the Republican establishment over the next few weeks. They've already bought 7 figure ad campiagns to run in NH, IA, SC. Cruz has about the same chance, probably slightly less.

I love the doubt.

He's got better than a prayer if independents and constitutional conservatives can really get off their asses and get behind him. The Republican establishment has got to be overthrown and they will do anything they can to protect their power base.

It can be done, but it's going to take some serious political judo.

The establishment of both parties hate him.

That alone makes him a worthy candidate and he has my vote barring a meltdown of some kind.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Ostate4life:
The establishment of both parties hate him.

That alone makes him a worthy candidate and he has my vote barring a meltdown of some kind.
I can agree with this.

just like his dad without he tinfoil hat.

doesn't have a prayer

I'm guessing those that think he doesn't have a chance would be perfectly happy with another Bush or Clinton. They can't tell you why. My guess is they like doing the same thing over and over

If a black man named Barrack Hussein Obama who has never had a job, had a Kenyan father who was a Marxist, was not remotely qualified to be president, and not a Christian can get elected, Rand Paul has a prayer.

Love it! Great that is last name is not Christie or Bush which helps his path a whole lot. Easily could vote for him and for those who really doubt his potential, remember he has already spoken to some pretty interesting groups. The thing that has to be most watched out for is someone goading his dad into saying something entirely bizzare and then hanging that on him. He would skewer cankles in a debate.

He polls one point better than Hillary in Pennsylvania which is a very purple state.

If he can defeat the republican elites and get the nomination then independents will strongly be in play and you know no self respecting conservative or libertarian would vote for Hillary.

Way to early to write him off, he might spark a movement.

Originally posted by Headhunter:

He polls one point better than Hillary in Pennsylvania which is a very purple state.

If he can defeat the republican elites and get the nomination then independents will strongly be in play and you know no self respecting conservative or libertarian would vote for Hillary.

Way to early to write him off, he might spark a movement.
Recent polling I've seen shows that most independents are sick of both parties. I think Paul appeals much more broadly to them than Hillary does.
This post was edited on 4/7 2:59 PM by BIGOSUFAN

Originally posted by squeak:
If a black man named Barrack Hussein Obama who has never had a job, had a Kenyan father who was a Marxist, was not remotely qualified to be president, and not a Christian can get elected, Rand Paul has a prayer.

Well, good point, but you left out two factors: 1. Obama is smarter and a better politician than Paul. 2. The country was so. damned. tired. of the Bush era of war and recession they looked for a stark change.

Actually, three things. Obama doesn't wear a wig. I just have a hard time taking a presidential candidate seriousy that wears a wig. The comedians will make him a laughing stock if and when he's ever taken seriously in a presidential race. He gets a break right now because he's still a novelty.

If Obama was a good politician he wouldn't have abysmal approval numbers. Reagan and Clinton were good politicians, Obama is a GWB level politician. The only people that love him are hard core party folks.

Rand is a long shot for sure. I think he'll struggle in the primaries but I think he'd have broad appeal in a general election. He needs something big to break his way. As much as I dislike McConnell he could prove to be a valuable ally for Rand in the primaries.

Guys, he doesn't stand a chance. Hell, he won't even get the "Libertarian" vote.

Besides, this is Murica. We don't have room for common sense and critical thinking in voting, much less politics itself. We get all of our information from a 15 second media clip with an obvious agenda. We would call the first gay presidential candidate a hero while having the nerve to completely dismiss another because he might wear a piece all the while having the audacity to accuse those who oppose said gay candidate of homiphobia. We call ourselves "conservatives" while promoting and cheering on a progressive interventionist foreign policy. We call ourselves "liberals" while opposing free speech and religion by using government coercion to force our view point on others. We talk about the "war on women" while slandering any woman who doesn't comfirm to our predetermined view of how they should think. I could go on, but whats the point? It would be almost as big of an exercise in futility as continuing to vote for this madness year after year actually expecting that this slow decline into oppression and poverty will actually reverse course because we are exceptional. Because, "by God, we just need to follow the constitution." Wake up fellas, the constitution is a failed document because it was not limiting enough. Oligarchs will always corrupt a limiting document by changing definitions over time in order to obtain power for the oligarchy. We're mostly just a bunch of statists posing as advocates of freedom. We only give a damn about freedom until said freedom doesn't conform with our own personal view points or beliefs. I'm offended gotdamnit, time to use the threat of force via government mandate to force everyone into conformity.

He's on with Hannity right now. Very impressive. Reiterated how his foreign policy beliefs are very similar to Reagan's "peace through strength." He will destroy Hillary in debates if he gets the nomination.

Originally posted by MegaPoke:
First presidential candidate of my voting life (1988) that I'm excited about.

Win or lose, this guy represents what needs to happen.

It's a far cry from "what needs to happen" to electability. This election is a long way off, and there's so much shit that will come down before then, a lot of heads will spin like Linda Blair's in Exorcist.

How are you feeling about his move to the religious right on social issues, reversing course on size of the military, and becoming more activist in his foreign policy views? A shame he feels the need to try and placate the social conservatives and neocons...

Have common cause with him on many issues - as I did with McCain. I only hope he doesn't feel the need to pull a Palin out of a hat.

Originally posted by davidallen:

How are you feeling about his move to the religious right on social issues, reversing course on size of the military, and becoming more activist in his foreign policy views? A shame he feels the need to try and placate the social conservatives and neocons...

Have common cause with him on many issues - as I did with McCain. I only hope he doesn't feel the need to pull a Palin out of a hat.
He's not trying to placate any neocons. He called them out last night on the air for "being on both sides of every conflict."

I'm not sure how changing your stance on issues is a big thing for liberals to crow about. Not too long ago Obama, bill c and hillary c were all homophobes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT