ADVERTISEMENT

Rain

Air_Thurman

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2003
Is it now okay to want the rain to stop or would that still make someone an a-hole? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: Sebastian
Since the rain is only a detriment to man made things you would be an asshole. The weather was here long before we put shit up to be knocked down or concrete jungles to be flooded.

Since the rain is only a detriment to man made things you would be an asshole. The weather was here long before we put shit up to be knocked down or concrete jungles to be flooded.
but it's worse now because of all the man made stuff and maybe cow flatulence

What the state's drought situation looked like at the end of Feb, beginning of March:

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pngs/20150224/20150224_OK_date.png 98.5% of the state was in a drought condition, with over 1/3 of the state being in extreme or exceptional drought categories.

As of today, it's completely reversed, with 97% of the state being at normal, or at the lowest level category of "abnormally dry."

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pngs/20150526/20150526_OK_date.png

If it doesn't stop raining, I don't know what the hell I'm going to do about my veggie garden, my soil is so saturated there's no way I can till it, I can't even walk across it without sinking down. I guess I'll be getting late crops on my tomatoes and peppers, but the heat of late summer will probably stunt a lot of growth and production.

Even more worrisome is the mosquito population. I'm already being swarmed and I can't really put down mosquito spray since it would just wash away with it raining every few hours.

So no, I don't think you're being an ahole by wishing it would stop for a while.

Luckily I sold my house right before the mega rain. I haven't been able to mow the yard since!

I am kinda hoping the plentiful rains continue, but spread it the hell out Mother Nature you saturated wench!

I am ready for it to stop. I started a project this month putting in new drainage lines for gutters and a drain in the yard in a low spot. I pretty much work till sun down after work every night and can only get about 25 feet installed a day. The ground is so wet that shovels full of dirt are like 30 pounds or more it seems like. It has helped with making the digging easier but it sure has made it a messy job this week.

I'm in the Texas panhandle. Keep it coming. Mosquitos are getting really bad. The swarm they showed on the news in Floydada was unreal.

I'm ready for it to stop. I have several projects that we can't get anything done. About the time it dries out we get another rain.
I have a feeling it will go from cool and wet to hot and humid and miss the 80 degree days.

I'm in the Texas panhandle. Keep it coming. Mosquitos are getting really bad. The swarm they showed on the news in Floydada was unreal.
Is there anything you can spray or spread or something that can keep your yard less ridden with these winged beasts?

Don't say dump the water or use citronella, I'm talking about widespread chemical warfare.

Ya they make a yard spray that repels and kills them. It comes in all forms but I use the one you hook up to the hose and it works great. I got my yard sprayed before these big rain storms I have hardly any in my back yard (I only spray the backyard). It last three months I know Lowes carries it. It is for just mosquitos also.

cutter-mosquito-yard-spray-price.png

Is there anything you can spray or spread or something that can keep your yard less ridden with these winged beasts?

Don't say dump the water or use citronella, I'm talking about widespread chemical warfare.
Doubtful, I have seen towns bring out some foggers on the back of trucks but it really only seemed to piss them off. You could put down crap all over your yard, turn over every source of standing water but what if your neighbor doesn't do it or if there is a creek, ditch , pond etc. down the way?

Deet is your friend.

Cutter helps believe it or not and if you have standing water somewhere you can put pellets in to kill them. If you have an HOA find out if they are treating local ponds. I've never been swarmed like I was outside of Plainview Sunday. It was awful.

I can literally let them land, pump them up, smash em and never even see a mark or itch. If they are on me, you know it is a bad season.

It's been an incredible 3 or 4 weeks. Pretty amazing to completely reverse a 4 year long drought in 4 weeks. All the lakes in southwest Oklahoma are full and we thought things were going to just get worse.

That said. It needs to stop. For at least a couple weeks.

When you see snakes on tops of roofs and catfish in front yards, you know you have too much rain!

And, I'll second the Cutter helps. Two years back in May, we had an unusual amount of rain (over 9" for the month) and I had standing water around my property. Lots of mosquitos, sprayed with Cutter (the hose mounted one) and definitely saw an immediate drop. I had to go through 3 of them to spray a large area off my property and into the lawn next door, but it seemed to cut the number of attacks I was suffering (mosquito's love me for some reason). I repeated towards the end of the summer, but the standing water situation had resolved itself by then and the total numbers were already down, but it still seemed to have some positive impact even then.

When you see snakes on tops of roofs and catfish in front yards, you know you have too much rain!

And, I'll second the Cutter helps. Two years back in May, we had an unusual amount of rain (over 9" for the month) and I had standing water around my property. Lots of mosquitos, sprayed with Cutter (the hose mounted one) and definitely saw an immediate drop. I had to go through 3 of them to spray a large area off my property and into the lawn next door, but it seemed to cut the number of attacks I was suffering (mosquito's love me for some reason). I repeated towards the end of the summer, but the standing water situation had resolved itself by then and the total numbers were already down, but it still seemed to have some positive impact even then.

Any impact on dog/plants/vegtables from using it? We're north of Southern Hills/61st/Lewis area and the damned things already have a control tower/landing lights set up in the backyard.

I just checked one of my bottles and it says safe for kids or dogs after it dries. I usually do it on nice days with lots of sun out. Dries up pretty quick I keep my dog off till it dries though. It is killer towards bees though so if you have bee hives you might want to watch out and it is poisonous to fish so watch spraying around lakes, pond and etc.

I will second the Cutter.

Also, if the rain doesn't end for a bit soon the wheat harvest will be a loss. June is prime harvest month in Oklahoma and fields are too wet now for combines.

It's also delaying the planting of milo. If memory serves milo needs to be in the ground before mid-June. I could be way off though. Not a farmer.

It's also delaying the planting of milo. If memory serves milo needs to be in the ground before mid-June. I could be way off though. Not a farmer.
You are correct for the most part. Could plant late into June and even into July (along with soybeans). Wheat is the big kicker with this rain. For most of the state the wheat was doomed had we not gotten the rains in April/May as drought had already taken its' toll. Rains came and surprisingly brought some of the wheat back to life really late. Now, especially S of I-40, the wheat (and canola) has pretty much been ready or close to ready for harvest . The rains have made the thought of harvest a mess. Ground that won't hold up a combine or grain cart. Weed pressure is/will be out of this world as soon as the sun shines and ground warms up. Some wheat will have quality issues leaving the product with a grossly reduced price because of kernel sprout in head, low protein, low test weight, shriveled kernels. Disease, rust, smut, etc is also rampant.

With all that said however, most farmers still will take the rain. You can't do shee without it.

For those of us with wheat in the fields it is time to get hot and dry.

Keep in mind, kids...some places in the world have a 5-month rainy season. I swear, some of the people around Oklahoma act like they've never seen rain before......which I guess technically they haven't (like this).

Keep in mind, kids...some places in the world have a 5-month rainy season. I swear, some of the people around Oklahoma act like they've never seen rain before......which I guess technically they haven't (like this).

Wait a second, are you trying to tell me that weather is not exactly the same all over the world?

VfkGlZD0hW4a4.gif

Reactions: ThorOdinson13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT