thetruth

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oklahoma State Football

My Opinion What Should to Happen to Oklahoma State in Realignment?​

By Robert Allen
August 22, 2021

STILLWATER – These are unsettling times in college athletics as the conferences and relationships we’ve grown accustomed to as fans and avid observers of college football, college basketball, and the other sports are shifting, and it is hard to recognize how and why they are. The last time the Big 12 went through a massive change it was because of Texas. Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Missouri had grown tired of dealing with Texas, their ego, and their desire for everything in the conference to be slanted to them. Colorado was also a part of the exodus that round of realignment. I simply think that the Buffaloes felt they belonged in the Pac-12. I believe they do. This round is also about Texas. The Longhorn Network wasn’t enough. Texas feels they belong in the top conference in college athletics. They approached commissioner Greg Sankey and the Southeastern Conference and when told they were valued and wanted, they approached Oklahoma and the two schools made a deal.
Unlike some other Oklahoma State interests, I don’t have a problem with Oklahoma. Texas approached them and they made a choice. For business and the future, it was the right choice. It would have been nice if they had included their in-state rival and partner. I understand and college sports is a big boy enterprise. Every action has a reaction and response. Oklahoma State will have to make theirs and Oklahoma won’t be a consideration. This is a situation where each school has to look out for their own considerations.
I’ve spoke with so many folks the past few weeks, many with skin in the game meaning they are involved in Oklahoma State University and OSU athletics in some way as an administrator, coach, employee, and as a supporter or a fan. I’ve spoken with television consultants, other college athletic interests, politicians, and media. I’ve presented their opinions and their ideas for you to read and soak in.
Now it’s time for me to write my opinion, what I really believe should happen with all of this. No matter what I write the reality will be coming along soon, perhaps a few weeks with the Pac-12 and possibly as soon, maybe earlier with other options.
0028249-csvs-240x135.jpg

Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
Big 12 family in happier days.
Let me start with the Big 12. Like I wrote above, I don’t blame Texas or Oklahoma. They did what they felt was best and what about any school in the conference would have done if offered by the SEC. Now, I do blame Texas because almost every problem or issue this conference has had, and it has had many lay at the doorstep of Texas. The Longhorns are not a good partner and not the kind of school you want on your side. They are very selfish, want everything their way regardless of conference partners. The Longhorn Network is the shining example and like the Texas teams in competition for the most part, the Longhorn Network has underachieved.
Oklahoma is a notch below Texas in selfish. I admire their competitive desire and Joe Castiglione is truly a great athletic director and leader. I think if all the decisions were entirely up to him, Oklahoma and their fellow conference members would be better off. Honestly, if Castiglione had been the Big 12 commissioner, then the Big 12 would have been better off.
As for the other seven of the remaining eight schools in the Big 12, I have an appreciation for them and hate that they are having to go through all this. I truly believe that some of them will end up okay and still with a seat at the table of the top schools in college athletics, and unfortunately, some will not. I have friends at all of the schools.
0026974-dplc-180x180.jpg

Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Iowa State and head coach Matt Campbell, shown here, have been good conference partners.
The ones I align with the most are Iowa State and Kansas State. The three “State” schools have been together since the Big Eight days and all have gone through similar experiences of dreadful football, poor facilities, and the need for one or more contributors to step up in money and performance to get them over the hump. The only difference is Oklahoma State has been better in other sports and has 54 NCAA team championships to show for it. Iowa State had 13 NCAA Championships and Kansas State has not won any.
All three have increased their facilities as Bill Snyder’s run with football at K-State led the Wildcats to two Big 12 championships and the financial backing to build up facilities and it is still ongoing. Iowa State has had a recent strong run with Matt Campbell, and it has coincided with a build up of facilities. Oklahoma State under Mike Gundy and with the financial backing of the late T.Boone Pickens and others has stepped up facilities virtually across the board.
The Texas schools are all valuable in that they create a way for prospective student-athletes in Texas to consider Big 12 schools outside the state and have an opportunity to come home or close to it and compete in front of friends and family.
0028324-yawn-240x135.jpg

Ben Queen-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State at West Virginia
West Virginia has been fun to compete against and to get to know. The geography of it makes it a strange fit, but it has been a pleasant and needed member.
All of those schools have been good members overall, based on what I know.
The truth is now what happens to all of these schools will be based on the situation they have made for themselves.
Oklahoma State is in the best position. It has been the most consistent in football under Mike Gundy. More important, it is the school that has drawn the most viewers to it’s televised games in recent years and it was the third most valued football program and school based on attendance, market size (which I don’t believe to be as important as overall viewer numbers), Wall Street valuation, and social media interest.
One area not included by author Zach Miller on that list is licensed apparel and other souvenir sales. The latest full ranking had Oklahoma State at 23, which was fifth in the Big 12, 10th among SEC schools, and the Cowboys would be first if they were in the Pac-12.
All that presented here is what I believe Oklahoma State’s option would be and what avenue they need to take.
Staying in the Big 12 is not an option. Thanks to the previous realignment in 2011, and now the loss of Texas and Oklahoma, the Big 12 is the conference that has been picked over and won’t survive. I like Bob Bowlsby as a person, but as a commissioner he has failed the Big 12 and its’ demise will in part be on his head. There is no list of Group of Five teams that can make up for the loss of Texas and Oklahoma and the Big 12 has as much to do with that after the failed look at expansion in 2016. The conference declined them all then, so how can they come back now and present them as a cure.
The Pac-12 and new commissioner George KIiavkoff are looking into expanding and I believe they will. Oklahoma State tops most of the teams in the conference in most categories. Take your pick, football success, football viewership, football value, souvenir sales, and the added time zone in the middle of the country comes in handy to get into the early Saturday noon eastern/11 a.m. central slot. Oklahoma State also adds to their Pac-12 motto of “conference of champions” as they would then have the top four schools in NCAA championships won adding OSU to the top three of Stanford, UCLA, and USC.
0028325-sxlg-240x135.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
Pac-12 Conference might be OSU’s best option.
I could see the Pac-12 taking 2-4 schools of the remaining members of the Big 12.
The only caveat is that I really believe the SEC is going to expand further and I believe it will be toward the west and that Oklahoma State is on their list as well. Currently, the SEC and Greg Sankey have to be quiet about their intentions as Bowlsby has put them watch with his claims of television networks and conferences openly working against his conference.
Joining the SEC would be the best play from a financial standpoint, and you would be competing in the finest football conference in the country. Sometimes, timing and situation dictate what action you have to take and this may be that scenario.
The Atlantic Coast Conference can’t expand as they are locked into a poor television contract through 2036. Notre Dame is the only option and then they could add one to go along with the Irish.
The Big Ten is solid and while Oklahoma State could add value to that league, I get the feeling they are not as receptive right now to expansion.
There are my options and solutions.
Most likely the Pac-12.
The SEC is an option, but the situation and timing might be against it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News