ADVERTISEMENT

Outstanding Wrestler

It should have gone to Brewer. As the 13th seed, he beat the 1, 3, 4 and 12th seeds to finish first. This is the definition of Outstanding. Strieber only beat the 2, 9 and 16th seeds but even if 2, 4, 8, 16; it was what he was expected to do and anything less would have been a surprise.

If whoever votes on these things feel that they have to give out a Outstanding Career award then make one. Call it the Cael Sanderson Award; undefeated 4-xer had a pretty fair career. Give it to a deserving senior and to make it more prestigious, don't give it out every year unless it's deserved. I'd say Strieber deserved that award.

Originally posted by Old Number Nine:

It should have gone to Brewer. As the 13th seed, he beat the 1, 3, 4 and 12th seeds to finish first. This is the definition of Outstanding. Strieber only beat the 2, 9 and 16th seeds but even if 2, 4, 8, 16; it was what he was expected to do and anything less would have been a surprise.

If whoever votes on these things feel that they have to give out a Outstanding Career award then make one. Call it the Cael Sanderson Award; undefeated 4-xer had a pretty fair career. Give it to a deserving senior and to make it more prestigious, don't give it out every year unless it's deserved. I'd say Strieber deserved that award.
This! Brewer, and perhaps Gadson, was much more deserving of the OW award for this tournament that Stieber. But, we all knew going in that all Stieber had to do was finish first to get the award. Same as when Jones got it over Pendleton that year.

This award is often a joke! It should be simple, who scored the most points for their team?

Gadson - 26.5
Steiber - 26
Dierenger - 25
Brewer - 25

It's not Gadsons fault he didn't back into two Titles by virtue of bad calls. It also isn't his fault that he didn't have his daily routine plastered over the screen every return from commercial break.

IMO, there were literally several dozen Wrestlers there that deserved air time...promote the sport. Steiber is a good promotion though, he scores and keeps action up. But dang, there were tons of guys that scored over 20 points for their teams and poured on the scoring. Show all the cool moves and the reaction from 20k fans! Talk about those guys that hit those moves!

It needed to be a promotion of Wrestling, not a logibear farewell tour.

I would have given it to Brewer. He went through such a tough draw - and flat dominated.

Kyven would have been second.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Cowguy:
I would have given it to Brewer. He went through such a tough draw - and flat dominated.

Kyven would have been second.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
I agree with your top 2.

I would have given it to Kyven
3dgrin.r191677.gif

All 4 are good choices, each for different but similar reasons.

The only way Stieber wouldn't win had been if he got upset.

Originally posted by chasepollard:
This award is often a joke! It should be simple, who scored the most points for their team?

It's not Gadsons fault he didn't back into two Titles by virtue of bad calls. It also isn't his fault that he didn't have his daily routine plastered over the screen every return from commercial break.

IMO, there were literally several dozen Wrestlers there that deserved air time...promote the sport. Steiber is a good promotion though, he scores and keeps action up. But dang, there were tons of guys that scored over 20 points for their teams and poured on the scoring. Show all the cool moves and the reaction from 20k fans! Talk about those guys that hit those moves!

1st; Agreed, the meaning of the award has been misplaced.

2nd; I don't hold it against Steiber that he won against Oliver on a bad call, I hold it against Oliver. That match should not have been close and Jordan let it be close; from being tired, psyched out, cutting too much weight.. whatever. His fault as it was theirs when Johny & Johnny were upset. That's why the list of greatness at OSU reads Smith, Hutton, Rosholt, Guerrero, Branch not Smith, Hutton, Thompson, Oliver, Rosholt, Guerrero, Hendricks, Branch. I'm looking forward to seeing Dieringer listed between Hutton and Rosholt.

3rd; I also don't hold it against Stieber that the media latched on to him as their darling.

Finally; The way he handled the final after Port was injured was pure class. He could have easily run up the score at the risk of further injuring Port but he didn't. Very classy, but not OW worthy.

This post was edited on 3/27 8:35 AM by Old Number Nine

Originally posted by Old Number Nine:
Originally posted by chasepollard:

1st; Agreed, the meaning of the award has been misplaced.

2nd; I don't hold it against Steiber that he won against Oliver on a bad call, I hold it against Oliver. That match should not have been close and Jordan let it be close; from being tired, psyched out, cutting too much weight.. whatever. His fault as it was theirs when Johny & Johnny were upset. That's why the list of greatness at OSU reads Smith, Hutton, Rosholt, Guerrero, Branch not Smith, Hutton, Thompson, Oliver, Rosholt, Guerrero, Hendricks, Branch. I'm looking forward to seeing Dieringer listed between Hutton and Rosholt.

3rd; I also don't hold it against Stieber that the media latched on to him as their darling.

Finally; The way he handled the final after Port was injured was pure class. He could have easily run up the score at the risk of further injuring Port but he didn't. Very classy, but not OW worthy.
This post was edited on 3/27 8:35 AM by Old Number Nine
Good points!

However, go back and watch the match. I was sitting next to a guy that eventually joined me in attendance at an NCAA, and he was yawning during a JO match...yawning. I won't ever agree that he won that Stieber won that match, if he won anything on the mat that night, it was winning the example of how to Wrestle and not give up points while not scoring points...which creates a problem for the sport if people are awarded in the scenario. Should JO have done more, probably, but would that have been smart? He did put forth much more effort in scoring though.

The 3rd point, I agree with. I didn't intend to come across as holding that against Stieber. It was more of a jab at ESPN/media! This tourney, like many others had tons of story lines and tons of scoring! Those need to be shown to reward viewers and the sport. Stieber wasn't a bad showcase, he scored a ton and improves the image of Wrestling...so it wasn't a total loss of coverage and was actually pretty good. I would have just rather seen spotlight on the event and the Wrestlers that made it exciting.

Finally, I totally agree and even said so out loud. I was very impressed that he didn't exploit the injury and reminded me a little of Dieringer vs. Realbuto.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT