ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma Tax Refund - Annoyed

Chillwell

Heisman Winner
Jun 16, 2001
I live in Cali and pay the majority of my state taxes here. However, I do have to pay some taxes in Oklahoma and have paid them my entire adult life...year after year. Generally, I get a small refund from Oklahoma; this year it was a few hundred dollars.

When I get a Federal refund & CA state refund, they are directly deposited into my banking account. Easy Peasy. I think the last few years (but I don't remember exactly) Oklahoma has done the same thing. I know not long ago, Oklahoma used to send me a check.

This year, I filled out my Oklahoma tax forms and requested direct deposit...like normal. However, I received in the mail a MarsterCard debit card containing a balance equivalent to my refund. What's up with that? I don't want an f'n debit card!

Apparently, I can go to a website and have the balance of the card (after I activate it) transferred to my bank account. But, of course, there is a $.75 charge to do that. (I get it...not a big amount, but it still pisses me off; I shouldn't have to pay a penny.)

I could also go to an ATM machine and withdraw the cash, subject to ATM limitation on how much can be dispensed in a day. Additionally, if I go with this option, I have to pay any required ATM fees, unless I use some specific MoneyPass ATM locations found in Oklahoma. Well, that's a big help?!!! I live in California...wtf!!!

OK...
I understand in the grand scheme of things, this isn't that big of a deal, but it still annoys the F out of me! Why has this debit card system been adopted by Oklahoma? Does this apply to those living in OK too? How difficult is it for Oklahoma to simply put my refund in my bank account?! The freakin' Federal Government can figure this out? Why can't the dipsh**s in Oklahoma do that?

End of Rant.

It all seems silly, but maybe they only direct deposit amounts bigger than a certain number?

I've never been eligible for a return from the State of Oklahoma, so I don't know about direct deposit......but they will damn sure auto withdraw money from my account!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

2001, if you don't mind me asking, do you live in Oklahoma? Or are you an out-of-stater like me?

This post was edited on 4/20 2:17 PM by Chillwell

Originally posted by tcpoke:
I've never been eligible for a return from the State of Oklahoma, so I don't know about direct deposit......but they will damn sure auto withdraw money from my account!

Same here.

I'm in Oklahoma. I suppose that could matter, but seems silly.

How did you do your taxes? I think I used Taxact...

did you provide the direct deposit info?

per the OTC:

State law requires disbursements from the State Treasury to be in electronic form. Direct Deposit information was not provided on the original filed return so a debit card was issued. The debit card provides another electronic alternative to direct deposit into your checking or savings account. The debit card also provides taxpayers who do not have a bank account with a refund payment option.

OTC Debit Card

did you provide the direct deposit info?

per the OTC:

OTC Debit Card
I have an accountant prepare my taxes; I've used the same firm for probably the past 12 years.

I checked my records for the past two years. In both 2013 & 2014 my Oklahoma refunds have been directly deposited into my banking account. I did not check beyond those dates.

I also checked my copy of my 2014 Oklahoma Tax Return. My preparer marked "X" that "I consent that my refund be directly deposited as designated in the electronic portion of my 2014 Oklahoma income tax return." Furthermore, my accountant provided my routing number & account number on my return.

So I have no idea of why I was sent these debit cards. I've now been on hold with the Oklahoma Tax Commission for 1 hour and 13 minutes waiting to talk to someone about this.

And YES, I do have too much time on my hands.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT