ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma state legislature... **Facepalm**

MegaPoke

May 29, 2001
Tulsa
www.shipmanphotos.com
In recent news alone:

1. Big states rights guy suing Colorado for legalizing pot.

2. Legislature introduced to ban AP history classes in OK high schools for teaching accurate, but not rah rah American history.

3. Legislation introduced to circumvent legal gay marriage through various ridiculous clerical technicalities.

I'm so sick of our state legislature wasting time and money on this shit.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

More of the same...Oklahomans love voting for Christian conservative whack jobs.

This post was edited on 2/20 3:54 AM by Clinton Scott

Well, there is plenty of special stuff going on in Kansas these days. Apparently, a professor shouldn't put their credentials when authoring or contributing to a newspaper opinion columns.

LINK

The concerns about AP History are warranted given that they new curriculum appears to be taught through the lens of the garbage theory known as "critical race theory." Several other states have had concerns as well. But banning the class is an unbelievably emotional and reactionary measure, one that you would expect out of the "progressives", who tend to ban things they don't like. A public discussion/debate on the matter is certainly warranted.

I'm trying to get a copy of the curriculum and the test (may not get the test) .. want to see what is in it

Unfortunately, teachers have to teach to tests and not actual history so even if the curriculum is OK the test could keep pieces from being taught in any greater detail than a mention.

Plus I wrote my representative so I want to at least be more educated than the idiots creating some of these bills

Mega,

This is nothing new or extraordinary about how this state's legislature has conducted business since I was old enough to follow politics and cognizant of the issues (which is just about the same time you've been alive.)

When I was a kid there was such a good ol' boy network of democratic politicians who all seemed to be involved in all kinds of chicanery and misdeeds, but kept their constituents blinded to all of their wrongdoing by intermittently introducing and supporting legislation that pandered to their base by bringing up subjects like: Jesus, 10 Commandments, hunting dogs/dog fighting, the US Flag, Ford Trucks and John Deere Tractors, Mom, Apple Pie among other things. All or most of it was completely for show as they knew that even if passed, the vast majority of it was either unenforceable or Unconstitutional. But boy, did it make it easy for them to show up to parades on the 4th of July and brag on what good All-American, Bible-believing, Commie-hating, Flag-Waiving, Uber Patriots they all were.

In the meantime of course, many of them were boozing like no tomorrow, keeping the hookers on Lincoln Blvd busy and pulling shady deals to line their pockets with state funds. (Back then, being in the State Senate paid something like $8,000/yr and yet these jokers were driving around in brand new Caddies and Lincolns.)

One of the first things I was taught entering law school is that virtually any State Supreme Court Opinion from the mid/late 60's to the latter part of the 70's had to be scrupulously studied to see if it was actually "good law." The reason why? So damned many of the Supreme Court Justices of that era were on the take and had been convicted and removed for office for taking bribes from those who appeared before the court that there was always a question if the Justices decided the case on the merits, or on the $$$$ that flowed to them by the winning side.

When I turned 18, I couldn't wait to register and vote as a Republican. Not so much because I agreed with the Republican Party's platform at a national level, but because I realized that the only way to remove the slimiest of the members of the legislature was to vote them out.

Now, the Republicans have control, and while probably not as crooked as the Dem's who preceded them, it's obvious that they are still trolling for votes using the same old disgusting tactics the old school Democratic crooks did when they were F'ng up the state.

Don't forget the recent proposed ban on hoodies and yoga pants (actually that's Montana).
Seriously - THIS is what our legislature spends their valuable time and our tax money on.

This post was edited on 2/20 3:47 PM by Poketologist

On a somewhat related note, I'm going to be the OK State Capitol "Doctor of the Day" sometime in April.
I'll be staffing the first aid station at the Capitol with the "Nurse of the Day".

Talk about a waste of taxpayer dollars. It'll at least be good for a few laughs.

Originally posted by BIGOSUFAN:
The concerns about AP History are warranted given that they new curriculum appears to be taught through the lens of the garbage theory known as "critical race theory." Several other states have had concerns as well. But banning the class is an unbelievably emotional and reactionary measure, one that you would expect out of the "progressives", who tend to ban things they don't like. A public discussion/debate on the matter is certainly warranted.
I agree that #2 is a legitimate concern and is actually something the legislature SHOULD take an interest in. The approach clearly should NOT be to ban AP History classes from being taught, but to introduce greater balance.

Hoodies are not banned. California has the same law, DC has the same law, other states have the same law.

It was ALREADY illegal to wear any device to conceal your identity while committing a crime under OK State law. So, what was the point?

Here is a recent, short essay from Andrew Hartman, a professor of intellectual history at Illinois State, that places the criticism of APUSH in context. Hartman has a new book about the 'culture wars' of the 80s and 90s, and he makes the effort to take both sides of debate seriously. Obviously he's writing from the left (although Andrew is no flaming radical, certainly in relation to his colleagues), but he takes conservative critiques seriously (as opposed to passing them off as hysterical or reactionary).

tl;dr: As you can read, he sees the internationalization of US history as the real rub, for critics of APUSH. By constantly connecting domestic developments to global events, culture, and thought, the standards inevitability weaken assumptions of American exceptionalism. Andrew gives two examples from what is now well-established historiography: the influence of the cold war on civil rights after 1950, and the transatlantic nature of the philosophy that drove abolitionism in the 19th century.

I'm well acquainted with critical race theory, having dabbled a bit in it myself and being close to a few colleagues who use it as a base for their work. I would love to read more about the APUSH curriculum. From what I do know about it, critical race theory is a straw man in the debate.

But the Oklahoma legislature has a chance to do something right this session too.

SB 484 are about bringing our liquor laws into the 21st century. I've talked to my state representative and senator and they both support these bills.

If we can get them through committee, I think they have a real shot at passage.

Originally posted by Ostatedchi:
But the Oklahoma legislature has a chance to do something right this session too.

SB 484 are about bringing our liquor laws into the 21st century. I've talked to my state representative and senator and they both support these bills.

These bills address truly the most embarrassing and shameful state policies on the book.

Maybe bc people were committing crimes wearing hoodies?

It's a stupid law, but don't act like oklahoma is some bassackwards place because of this.

Originally posted by Anodyne:

These bills address truly the most embarrassing and shameful state policies on the book.
I've let my representatives know my thoughts and they agree. Hopefully others do as well.

Originally posted by Anodyne:

I've let my representatives know my thoughts and they agree. Hopefully others do as well.
I hope it happens, but I'm not really optimistic.

This post was edited on 2/21 8:56 PM by Marshal Jim Duncan

Sounds like Oklahoma isn't the only state that has problems with AP history curriculum.

I'm not motivated enough to look into it but I do wonder if the problem is with a more liberal bent of interpreting history. I'd be interested on what their takes are on a figure like Ronald Reagan for instance.

Also kind of troubling (from what I've heard without personally looking in to it) that the curriculum speaks about the civil rights movement without mentioning the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. If true, I'd say that's a problem, wouldn't you?

Originally posted by ThePokewithNoName:
Sounds like Oklahoma isn't the only state that has problems with AP history curriculum.

I'm not motivated enough to look into it but I do wonder if the problem is with a more liberal bent of interpreting history. I'd be interested on what their takes are on a figure like Ronald Reagan for instance.

Also kind of troubling (from what I've heard without personally looking in to it) that the curriculum speaks about the civil rights movement without mentioning the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. If true, I'd say that's a problem, wouldn't you?
The class requires a college level history textbook, I would imagine those books would mention MLK in relation to the Civil Rights Movement. The outline mentions, "Following World War II, civil rights activists utilized a variety of strategies - legal challenges, direct action, and nonviolent protest tactics - to combat racial discrimination." Granted MLK isn't a name under that point, but I would imagine he would come up in any actual class. Of the three names on the list, Fannie Lou Hamer, John Lewis, and Thurgood Marshall, I only recognize Marshall. My guess is part of the class is look at lesser known people who played roles.

Course and Exam Description

Originally posted by Mr. Blonde:

The class requires a college level history textbook, I would imagine those books would mention MLK in relation to the Civil Rights Movement. The outline mentions, "Following World War II, civil rights activists utilized a variety of strategies - legal challenges, direct action, and nonviolent protest tactics - to combat racial discrimination." Granted MLK isn't a name under that point, but I would imagine he would come up in any actual class. Of the three names on the list, Fannie Lou Hamer, John Lewis, and Thurgood Marshall, I only recognize Marshall. My guess is part of the class is look at lesser known people who played roles.
John Lewis is a current member of the House of Representatives from Georgia, has been since 1987.

Originally posted by Marshal Jim Duncan:
Originally posted by Mr. Blonde:

John Lewis is a current member of the House of Representatives from Georgia, has been since 1987.
I have probably every college freshman-level US History textbook on my shelf (desk copies from publishers). I can assure you that MLK is mentioned in all of them. Lewis and certainly Hamer usually not. The emphasis on Lewis, Hamer, and Marshall is an attempt to 'balance' the traditional MLK-led civil rights narrative, I'm guessing. Hamer represents the grassroots aspect (often led by women), Lewis represents the younger organizers and SNCC, and Marshall represents the traditional legalistic tactics in the NAACP.

Fannie Lou Hamer was a very influential figure that historians have only started to 'remember.' LBJ was so terrified of her speech at the 1964 DNC that he preempted the live TV coverage with a 'very important press conference' from the White House...to announce that it had been 9 months since JFK's assassination and everyone was still sad. You can listen to Hamer's blistering testimony in front of the DNC rules committee.

AC, these are advanced classes. These students are already quite familiar with the standard take on history. This is a deeper look at history in general for kids that are already advanced on the subject, which I'm certain, covered MLKjr and Reagan.

My daughter is a sophomore with a 33 on her ACT and a 4.49 GPA. She's already receiving letters from schools across the country, which is great. But to compete against kids from schools in states that don't ban AP classes, she could find herself at a competitive disadvantage for acceptance into elite schools because of things like this.

Originally posted by MegaPoke:

My daughter is a sophomore with a 33 on her ACT and a 4.49 GPA. She's already receiving letters from schools across the country, which is great.
That's awesome! I assume she will be going to OSU regardless.

Wow! That's awesome Mega -- I know you and Glow are proud of her.

Great to hear about kids rebelling against rock star parents wild and woolly ways. (Just kidding.)

When and where is the next Dressed to Kill show? I might shock you and show up for the gig.

Actually, pretty solid chance she does go to OSU for udergrad at least. She is also All State as a clarinetist (rare for a sophomore) and her dream has always been to be in the Cowboy Marching Band. But she is gonna have some sick options so we'll see!

AC, DTK is performing at Shamrock Fest in BA on march 13th. All ages. 6-7 pm

Marshall, I saw that when I was googled him, but I don't remember ever reading about him during history class. Everything I remember from high school was basically MLK was for non-violent demonstrations, Malcolm X took a harder line, it all started with Rosa Parks. That has since been filled in quite a bit, but I would think an advanced class would go over more than that.

Originally posted by MegaPoke:
Actually, pretty solid chance she does go to OSU for udergrad at least. She is also All State as a clarinetist (rare for a sophomore) and her dream has always been to be in the Cowboy Marching Band. But she is gonna have some sick options so we'll see!

AC, DTK is performing at Shamrock Fest in BA on march 13th. All ages. 6-7 pm
That's great. OSU should pay someone like her to attend. Not a scholarship and tuition waver, but all that plus a stipend. Really good History department there...the Queen of the Humanities!

This post was edited on 2/26 6:54 PM by Anodyne

Originally posted by Poketologist:
On a somewhat related note, I'm going to be the OK State Capitol "Doctor of the Day" sometime in April.
I'll be staffing the first aid station at the Capitol with the "Nurse of the Day".

Talk about a waste of taxpayer dollars. It'll at least be good for a few laughs.
And facebook posts of you in your white coat glad handing your "good friends".
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT