MiccoMacey

Heisman Candidate
Sep 21, 2002
125: Eddie Klimara - 7th seed, placed 7th
133: Gary Wane Harding - unseeded, DNP
141: Dean Heil - 14th seed, placed 4th
149: Josh Kindig - unseeded, DNP
157: Anthony Collica - unseeded, DNP
165: Alex Dieringer - 1st seed, placed 1st (Orange colored glasses, and all)
174: Kyle Crutchmer - 12th seed, placed 5th
184: Nolan Boyd - unseeded, DNP
197: No entry
285: Austin Marsden - seeded 4th, DNP

IIRC, at a minimum every one won at least one match. So they got some experience for next year's tournament.

Heil and Crutchmer came alive and "jumped levels". Both beat some tough kids which should give them tons of confidence for next year. Add that Collica goes down to the weight he should be at anyway, and that helps.

Klimara and Dieringer (counting chickens here) held their seed, so that's positive as well.

GWH and Boyd wrestled well it sounds like. Bodes well for next year.

Marsden didn't have the tournament he hoped for. Neither did Kindig. Hate to see Kindig's career end on that note, but glad for the work he put in to the program and he will always be able to say he is an All-American.

This post was edited on 3/21 7:20 PM by MiccoMacey

Um, Marsden is a junior. Hopefully he comes back next year with more fire and determination.

Originally posted by MiccoMacey:
125: Eddie Klimara - 7th seed, placed 7th
133: Gary Wane Harding - unseeded, DNP
141: Dean Heil - 14th seed, placed 4th
149: Josh Kindig - unseeded, DNP
157: Anthony Collica - unseeded, DNP
165: Alex Dieringer - 1st seed, placed 1st (Orange colored glasses, and all)
174: Kyle Crutchmer - 12th seed, placed 5th
184: Nolan Boyd - unseeded, DNP
197: No entry
285: Austin Marsden - seeded 4th, DNP

IIRC, at a minimum every one won at least one match. So they got some experience for next year's tournament.

Heil and Crutchmer came alive and "jumped levels". Both beat some tough kids which should give them tons of confidence for next year. Add that Collica goes down to the weight he should be at anyway, and that helps.

Klimara and Dieringer (counting chickens here) held their seed, so that's positive as well.

GWH and Boyd wrestled well it sounds like. Bodes well for next year.

Marsden didn't have the tournament he hoped for. Neither did Kindig. Hate to see their careers end on that note, but glad for the work they put in to the program and will always be able to say they're All-Americans.
And this is the group that everyone has been touting as NC's next season?????

I honestly think mardsen could be a national champion if he would push tempo and aggressively/confidently take multiple shots. So, will we plug marstellar in at 157 if Colica goes to 149? What is the answer at 197?

I honestly think mardsen could be a national champion if he would push tempo and aggressively/confidently take multiple shots. So, will we plug marstellar in at 157 if Colica goes to 149? What is the answer at 197?

Originally posted by gyppoke:
I agree that Marsden has the tools to win it all and I thought he might be ready to make the jump with the way he wrestled early this season but the old Marsden showed up at the end and he underperformed.

Jordan Dieringer looks like he might be able to fill 197, or someone else in the room that is redshirting (not sure on that one).

The RS Freshman from Kansas will be at 197 most likely. He was the best in the room at this weight once he got healthy according to some who would know. Coach Smith mentioned him as a possible four year starter and contributor a few months ago.

You have seven guys in that potential lineup that could be viewed as very strong AA contenders and AD, Heil and Derringer can be viewed as title contenders based on their finish. That is enough to our us right near the top.

I think Heil, Crutchmer, and Dieringer are all the highest finishing returnees at their weight classes. You would have to take into consideration that Retherford from Penn Stare is coming off a redshirt year and he finished pretty high last year, but anyway you look at it we should have three top two wrestlers returning.
Ohio State and Penn State have more depth, but this team should compete well with Kilmara, Collica at his best weight. Boyd is so close and Harding certainly improved. Marsden looks like he could finish anywhere between 2nd and round of 12 against this same group.

It would be awesome if Martell er could make 157, but there would have to be muscle loss for that to happen. I hear that Jordan Rogers is doing great in the room to provide depth there.
Not sure how the other redshirt are doing, but this looks like a very good team to me.

Crutchmer could really light it up as he has all of the tools and now seems confident to use them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT