ADVERTISEMENT

OK State Wrestling Tournament

bwel9339

2nd Team
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I see Stillwater won 6A for the third straight year (Go Pioneers!) but several wrestlers didn’t win State titles, Sam Smith got 3rd, McComas got 3rd and Voinovich, Jordan and Heeg lost in the finals. Those losses in the finals were kind of surprising.

Yep, some pretty good upsets this weekend. The good ones though learn more in losing from time to time vs winning all the time. Let’s hope that’s the case with some of these kids.

Really happy for all the 1st time winners and the kids that stuck with it through past disappointing tournaments.

I see Stillwater won 6A for the third straight year (Go Pioneers!) but several wrestlers didn’t win State titles, Sam Smith got 3rd, McComas got 3rd and Voinovich, Jordan and Heeg lost in the finals. Those losses in the finals were kind of surprising.

A couple of those losses were to kids who could also end up as Cowboys.

Reactions: bwel9339 and JAY45
There are a lot of really good wrestlers out there. Kiser for example is no slouch.
We all hope OSU is able to pick the right ones!

McComas came in 2nd.

Not too surprising with Voinovich. He was 1-1 with Giddens this year with both of those matches going into OT.

Some of my observations from this year's tournament:

6A Championship Race: Edmond North needed from Ricky Thomas a MD to tie. A TF or F would have won it. After nearly going to his back in sudden victory, it looked like he had a chance for the F if he trapped Rich's head as he was being elevated over. Maybe he would have ended up on the wrong side of the scramble costing him his individual title.

Hughes: Historic career. Just the fifth undefeated state champ (I think) in Oklahoma history.

Lockett: Dominant and probably the best in the state P4P even over Hughes which is saying a lot.

Robb: Won possibly the toughest bracket in the tournament. He was slick and aggressive on his feet with 17 takedowns in the 3 matches (less than 7 periods total) including 6 in 3 minutes of action against fellow Cowboy recruit, Carlos Alvarado.

Heeg and Jordan: Lost close matches to other likely future D1 wrestlers. Both could have gone either way. Paytan Thomas was unknown to me, but Kiser was on some of this board's watch list before Jordan committed.

Juniors: This class may not have a national top-20 PFP recruit. Overall, there seems to be more potential D1 recruits to watch than typical years.

-Landyn Sommer, Stillwater. Undefeated and mostly unchallenged this season. Most matches ended in fall.
-Jace Roller, Bixby. Seemed to take it to another level this year. Another pinning machine.
-Layton Schneider, Edmond North. Maybe the best of a really talented group of juniors at Edmond North.
-Clayton Giddens-Buttram, Bixby. Moved up 4 weight classes this year and looked good. Won a really tough bracket.
-Kael Voinovich, Stillwater. Split with CGB these last two weekends and they would probably split 10 matches.
-Gage Walker, Bixby-McComas has deservedly been hyped-up. Having beat McComas three times the last three weeks pushes Walker to the front. On pace to be a 4X champ and has a 114-6 record.
-JJ Rogers-McComas, Stillwater-3X finalist and proven competitor on a national level.
- Canon Acklin, Collinsville-Another light weight on pace to be a 4Xer and has a 90-5 record.
-Brady Benham, Sperry-Another on pace to be a 4Xer with a record of about 93-11.
-Oscar Williams, Edmond North-Appears to be a legit heavyweight prospect once he hits the weights. If he grows anymore before next year though, Ed North will have a problem with too many heavyweights.
-Ricky Thomas, Edmond North-State Champ this year at 285 for Ed North. Not sure why he did not wrestle sophomore year. Injury? Between Fr and Jr years, he has a record of 72-4.
-Cash Donnell, Piedmont-2X champ and 3X finalist (lost to Acklin in 2021 finals) with a record of 100-5.
-Hunter Hollingsworth-Edmond North. 3X finalist with a record of 107-14 wrestling top competition. Most of his losses have been to Hughes (at least 4X), CGB (at least 2X), Sergio Lemley, Matty Lopes, and Gage Walker.
-Maverick Williamson, Jay-2X champ and 3X finalist at 220 & 285. Record of 88-7.
-Cameron Kiser, Ponca City-2X champ and 3X finalist. Resume building win this weekend.
-Beric Jordan, Stillwater-2X Ohio champ and 1X OK runner-up. Overall record of 119-3. May still be the top Oklahoma recruit in this class.

Upper Weight Underclassman. In addition to the several junior upper weights mentioned-above, the next two classes appear to have lots of big man talent as well.

-Kruz Goff, Blackwell-The sophomore is a 2Xer with a record of 76-5 wrestling at 190/195 the last two years.
-Gunner Wilson, Catoosa-Another 2X sophomore champ with a record of 76-4 at 220.
-Justus Gilliam, Sulpher-2X runner-up losing to Maverick Williamson both years. Record of 66-7 at 220 and 285.
-Ritson Meyer, Elgin-190 lb champ as a freshman with a record of 34-1.

Ritson Meyer will play football or baseball after high school. He is a freak athlete and will probably be 215 next season . He doesn’t love wrestling just does it cause of football and his dad won’t let him quit

Reactions: proud2bpokes
I wonder if Brady Benham's dad is Jon? Played football against against Jon, I think he played at Collinsville & could really run

Reactions: FTWpoke
Some of my observations from this year's tournament:

6A Championship Race: Edmond North needed from Ricky Thomas a MD to tie. A TF or F would have won it. After nearly going to his back in sudden victory, it looked like he had a chance for the F if he trapped Rich's head as he was being elevated over. Maybe he would have ended up on the wrong side of the scramble costing him his individual title.

Hughes: Historic career. Just the fifth undefeated state champ (I think) in Oklahoma history.

Lockett: Dominant and probably the best in the state P4P even over Hughes which is saying a lot.

Robb: Won possibly the toughest bracket in the tournament. He was slick and aggressive on his feet with 17 takedowns in the 3 matches (less than 7 periods total) including 6 in 3 minutes of action against fellow Cowboy recruit, Carlos Alvarado.

Heeg and Jordan: Lost close matches to other likely future D1 wrestlers. Both could have gone either way. Paytan Thomas was unknown to me, but Kiser was on some of this board's watch list before Jordan committed.

Juniors: This class may not have a national top-20 PFP recruit. Overall, there seems to be more potential D1 recruits to watch than typical years.

-Landyn Sommer, Stillwater. Undefeated and mostly unchallenged this season. Most matches ended in fall.
-Jace Roller, Bixby. Seemed to take it to another level this year. Another pinning machine.
-Layton Schneider, Edmond North. Maybe the best of a really talented group of juniors at Edmond North.
-Clayton Giddens-Buttram, Bixby. Moved up 4 weight classes this year and looked good. Won a really tough bracket.
-Kael Voinovich, Stillwater. Split with CGB these last two weekends and they would probably split 10 matches.
-Gage Walker, Bixby-McComas has deservedly been hyped-up. Having beat McComas three times the last three weeks pushes Walker to the front. On pace to be a 4X champ and has a 114-6 record.
-JJ Rogers-McComas, Stillwater-3X finalist and proven competitor on a national level.
- Canon Acklin, Collinsville-Another light weight on pace to be a 4Xer and has a 90-5 record.
-Brady Benham, Sperry-Another on pace to be a 4Xer with a record of about 93-11.
-Oscar Williams, Edmond North-Appears to be a legit heavyweight prospect once he hits the weights. If he grows anymore before next year though, Ed North will have a problem with too many heavyweights.
-Ricky Thomas, Edmond North-State Champ this year at 285 for Ed North. Not sure why he did not wrestle sophomore year. Injury? Between Fr and Jr years, he has a record of 72-4.
-Cash Donnell, Piedmont-2X champ and 3X finalist (lost to Acklin in 2021 finals) with a record of 100-5.
-Hunter Hollingsworth-Edmond North. 3X finalist with a record of 107-14 wrestling top competition. Most of his losses have been to Hughes (at least 4X), CGB (at least 2X), Sergio Lemley, Matty Lopes, and Gage Walker.
-Maverick Williamson, Jay-2X champ and 3X finalist at 220 & 285. Record of 88-7.
-Cameron Kiser, Ponca City-2X champ and 3X finalist. Resume building win this weekend.
-Beric Jordan, Stillwater-2X Ohio champ and 1X OK runner-up. Overall record of 119-3. May still be the top Oklahoma recruit in this class.

Upper Weight Underclassman. In addition to the several junior upper weights mentioned-above, the next two classes appear to have lots of big man talent as well.

-Kruz Goff, Blackwell-The sophomore is a 2Xer with a record of 76-5 wrestling at 190/195 the last two years.
-Gunner Wilson, Catoosa-Another 2X sophomore champ with a record of 76-4 at 220.
-Justus Gilliam, Sulpher-2X runner-up losing to Maverick Williamson both years. Record of 66-7 at 220 and 285.
-Ritson Meyer, Elgin-190 lb champ as a freshman with a record of 34-1.
I'm friends with Gilliams family, and they are great folks! I talked with at church this morning. They had a good plan and it didn't workout. I will lay odds he beats the guy next year in the finals.

His dad was a Heavy that didn't see the 3rd period his senior year and is a 2xer.

I'd love for him to roll at OSU!!

Reactions: proud2bpokes
There are a lot of really good wrestlers out there. Kiser for example is no slouch.
We all hope OSU is able to pick the right ones!
I heard an interview on radio with Kiser and he is working out with Guerrero. It sounds like he would jump at an OSU offer.

Reactions: giddyup and DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT