ADVERTISEMENT

NYC recommendations

boxter

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2002
we have decided to take a trip up to NYC after Labor Day. It's our 1st trip up there. I've had the Tennis US Open on my bucket list for a long time. The questions I have is:
1- where is a good place to stay in Manhattan?
2- should I go ahead and buy the U.S. Open tickets on ticketmaster now?
3- what Broadway show should we take in?
4- any must see things? I want to take in a game at Yankee stadium since they are in town
5- good restaurants that is a must.

TIA.

I go there a lot for work and usually stay at the New York Hilton (not a big fan - $12 beers in the bar). Nice though, especially if you have status - free breakfast, evening apps. It's at 53rd and avenue of the Americas. Central Park is close. Easy walk to Times Square if you're into that.

The only thing in that city that I would say is a must see is Stillwater Bar & Grill. Just my opinion.

1. Go to Times Square quickly just to see it. It is a big tourist trap. I would not stay in a hotel in the area. It's a complete zoo there.

2. Hit up McSorley's. Oldest bar in the city.

3. Get a burger at Shake Shack in Madison Square Park. Well worth the 30-45 minute wait.

4. Two good restaurants I highly recommend are Morandi's in the West Village and Raoul's in SoHo.

Check out Park Avenue (well at this time it will be summer). it's a seasonal restaurant which food and drink menu changes with the seasons. we went when it was called park avenue winter. really cool concept. great food.

We should tack threads about NYC/DC/Chicago travel recommendations: http://oklahomastate.forums.rivals.com/threads/things-to-see-and-eat-in-nyc.10161/

First on my list for my next visit: Torst in Brooklyn, the gastropub operated by Evil Twin.

Can I really eat and drink here, or are you only allowed to snap Instagrams?

5ec34355f33ba274-8539625410_4e3c7a87c6_b.jpg

Last edited:
also recommend Murray's cheese bar if you like that kind of thing. they pair cheese with wine and beer flights. i did the NY cheese and NY beers to match. it was a really fun snack. i would do it off peak time though as it's crowded and not really a full meal.

oh and we've always stayed at the Waldorf. it's cheaper than you would expect, especially for NYC. location is perfect in my opinion. everything of note is within walking distance (rock center, times square, central park, 5th avenue, etc.)

I go to NYC for work quite a bit. Usually stay in midtown east for closeness to the office. In midtown I really like the Hyatt 48 Lex (48th and Lexington) . Also like the Omni Berkshire on 52nd and Madison and Shelburne NYC (38th and Lexington). Shelburne has a great rooftop bar.

Definitely try to catch a Yankee game if you can. It is an easy train ride to the ball park. Also should try a museum. The Guggenheim is pretty cool and you can go through it pretty quickly.

Food is great all over NYC. If you don't mind dropping some money, try Daniel. Well worth it, but you need to plan ahead and get a reservation.

I go to NYC for work quite a bit. Usually stay in midtown east for closeness to the office. In midtown I really like the Hyatt 48 Lex (48th and Lexington) . Also like the Omni Berkshire on 52nd and Madison and Shelburne NYC (38th and Lexington). Shelburne has a great rooftop bar.

I used to live in NYC on 38th between Lexington and 3rd, across the street and twenty yards up from the Mexican place with the big terrace on 3rd. That's a great area.

oh and we've always stayed at the Waldorf. it's cheaper than you would expect, especially for NYC. location is perfect in my opinion. everything of note is within walking distance (rock center, times square, central park, 5th avenue, etc.)

We liked the Waldorf. We're looking at taking the oldest daughter to NYC in Oct and holy moly, cheapest hotel anywhere in Manhattan I'm finding is $300/night. That's what we paid at the Waldorf in Dec.

My recommendation is to go on VRBO or Home Away and find an apartment for rent. You can get a nice apartment in Midtown Manhattan for much less than a hotel. You can get a VERY nice apartment for comparable to a hotel. Or at least you could 3 years ago the last time I went.

We are going next spring for the NCAA wrestling tournament. Staying right by Madison square garden. What's the best airport to fly into, if your looking to just use public transportation?

We are going next spring for the NCAA wrestling tournament. Staying right by Madison square garden. What's the best airport to fly into, if your looking to just use public transportation?
LaGuardia is closest.

I'd recommend getting a car service to your hotel personally. It costs some, but you'll get the much smoother.

I think both Newark and JFK have some sort of shuttle to Manhattan. We usually fly into Newark and hire a car.

LaGuardia is closest.

I'd recommend getting a car service to your hotel personally. It costs some, but you'll get the much smoother.

I think both Newark and JFK have some sort of shuttle to Manhattan. We usually fly into Newark and hire a car.

My cousin in New Jersey said the train from Newark is easy. I was already leaning toward LaGuardia though.

I guess it somewhat depends on what airline we end up flying as well.

Thanks for the reply.

If you don't want to take a taxi Newark is the easiest for public transport. You can take the train into Penn Station right near MSG. You can also get to the subway pretty easily from JFK that will drop you off at Penn St as well. No good public transport to LGA. If there are 3 or 4 of you, however, I'd say fly into LGA and take the $35 cab into Manhattan. Save you a lot of time and effort carrying luggage thru public transport.

I'm still looking at hotels. Thanks for all the info.
Has anyone stayed at the Double tree times sq. I'm a Hilton honors member and the prices look good. Most of the reviews on trip advisor were excellent.
I want to take in the U.S. Open one night and Yankees/ jays play that week. Wife wants to go to a Broadway show and MOMA, Central Park, boat ride.
It will be the week of 9-11. I guess there won't be any crazies to worry about.

I've stayed there. It's a like an embassy suites room. Would be a great place to stay if you don't mind, or wish to be in, Times Square.

Good suggestions, I'm going there with my wife in August. Any other ideas on restaurants? We are staying near Central Park.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT