ADVERTISEMENT

My Facebook news feed.....

I don't know what to make of facebook. It's certainly entertaining.

I think what I find most interesting about it is.....I have a pretty even distribution of FB friends....American, Canadian, Thai, Japanese and some ex-coworkers in Europe. Without a doubt, my newsfeed is dominated by Americans giving their unsolicited opinion on everything from guns to God to gays. Like I give two sh*ts what my second-cousin in Texarkana thinks about politics. In contrast, none of my Japanese friends post anything political or controversial and my Thai students usually post about meals or vacation. The Brits only post about politics during elections. I'm just curious why as a people we are so opinionated.

Last edited:
I don't know what to make of facebook. It's certainly entertaining.

I think what I find most interesting about it is.....I have a pretty even distribution of FB friends....American, Canadian, Thai, Japanese and some ex-coworkers in Europe. Without a doubt, my newsfeed is dominated by Americans giving their unsolicited opinion on everything from guns to God to gays. Like I give two sh*ts what my second-cousin in Texarkana thinks about politics. In contrast, none of my Japanese friends post anything political or controversial and my Thai students usually post about meals or vacation. The Brits only post about politics during elections. I'm just curious why as a people we are so opinionated.

Mine is almost 100% dominated by Americans and I certainly agree with your assessment of them. What's most disappointing to me is that in about 90% of the cases people's posts on FB make me think less of them while they think they are being profound or smart. I think FB is helping to polarize people. It would be an interesting sociological study.

Reactions: Bitter Creek
I am very thankful that i have never had facebook or twitter. <look at me post over>

I never get into politics on Facebook. I rarely post on there anyway, I only have it to keep up with family. I imagine lots of people think I'm an asshole now because I don't accept new "friends". I got it back in 2009 when I got my first iPhone and was a bit naive about social networking then, but I have become much more jaded since that time lol.

I wish I would have figured it out that early.

When aunts and grandparents started joining I saw the writing on the wall. That and I was single and in my mid 20s, it's best to go incognito if you're going to play the field. I don't know how many times friends have been busted in one way or another due to a picture tag or a "check-in". My dirt left no trail.

Last edited:
Facebook started more shit than Exlax for me awhile back so I ditched it. I got it back after I expunged a few unsavory types from my "friends" and now it's mostly family and a few quiet folks.

Some people are pretty f*%#in creepy.

Reactions: CBradSmith
I stay on FB to stay connected with friends and family that I otherwise wouldn't. Blocking the nutjobs and defriending the idiots helps a lot.

I stayed on to keep in touch with people I served with. Then I realized if I didn't have a personal phone number or email that I didn't really care to talk to them anyway.

I keep facebook for two reasons. The first is to keep up with birthdays. I am the worst at remembering birthdays. The second is I use it as a photo storage. I also have started not accepting new friends unless I really know them. I stopped accepting people I went to school with 13 years ago. Who the hell knows who or what these people are now. I want to do a big friends list purge on there but after I defriend someone on there I always run into them in person. People are idiots on there though and can't wait to voice their opinion all their friends.

Funniest thing about this gay marriage stuff is a ton of people did the multi color picture thing and made post about the ruling. The people I didn't hear anything from or see the profile picture multi colored thing is from people in the gay community who are actually gay. Why straight people few this need to over compensate their feelings on social media is funny to me.

I've been careful on Facebook. I have a handful of gay friends that I don't want to unnecessarily offend and want to continue to have a positive influence on them.

After all, don't we all know that if the world was a lot more like AC it would be a much better place?

Don't post your birthday on notifications. It's kind of amazing who remembers it's your birthday. It's typically the last person you would expect.

Last edited:
Leaving FB was a great decision for me. I'll never go back to social networking.

I canned my FB then opened a fake one to subscribe to news feeds from some sites that I got good free info from.

I basically just use it as a news stand and a way to keep up with a lot of MMA personalities.

I have zero "friends" on it.

Facebook is neither good nor bad. It can be like a monkey with a gun for some people though. And it opens doors for stalkers. So it can be bad.

But I've never seen a more useful tool for people to get emotional support, prayers, etc when needed.

For me I doubt I would keep one if it weren't such an important way for me to market my business.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT