ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain lion question

CowboyUp

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Austin Tx
A mountain lion was spotted on my father-in-law's land last weekend alongside a bobcat in Hughes Co.--by a law enforcement officer--at 30 yards.

Has anyone else seen any mountain lions in Oklahoma? This is the third mountain lion sighting I've heard about in this area during the last 30 years...

Mountain lion sightings are becoming more frequent. ODW had a news letter this year regarding one killed by a train I believe. That cat was a mature male and there was alot of study done on it. I live in NE oklahoma and a farmer near afton lost several calves last year. The culprit was never found, but the carcasses were classic cat kills... puncture marks on neck, eviserated, covered and parts found in nearby trees. Nothing to be overly alarmed about.

I think I saw where that cat supposedly hit by a train (how the H@ll does that happen?) was genetically traced to the Western Nebraska gene pool. The Minco cat they found hit by a car last year was genetically traced to the Black Hills/North Dakota gene pool I believe. It also was a male about 3 yrs old. It reported that it had porcupine quills in it's stomache.... ouch! Lots of studyies on the one's they've been able to find- usually dead. They also reported on a cat that was found wearing a radio collar, from eastern Colorado, that was followed through the Texas Panhandle into OK. The article did suggested that the DOW cofirmed several other sitings by game cameras around the state, etc. Still rare for sure, but they seem to have been seen in all parts of the state. None of the one's they've found and reported on have been released tame ones. (not sure how they would know that genetically)

I was told last year by the landowner of my lease that I should be carrying heat when bowhunting because they've seen several cats and bear on the ranch now. Where I hunt in the mountains there, it is "wild"... I'm way back in and there is no cell coverage close by. They also said there was a roaming pack of wild (feral) dogs in that general area that are causing more trouble than any the rare large predators.

People respond to Big Cats like they do global warming. (from one extreme to the other).

The train kill was a collared one, killed by Tonkawa and came from Black Hills of S Dakota.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT