ADVERTISEMENT

Modern Country Music

Air_Thurman

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2003
I didn't want to hijack Anodyne's thread but a post got me thinking about Modern Country. We bash it a lot on here and rightfully so. 95% of modern pop country is really bad (there are a handful of artists I do like). However, I was thinking just outside of the pop stuff I can't remember a time when there have been as many modern "country" albums I'm absolutely obsessed with. Is it just me discovering this stuff or are we in some kind of pretty decent era?

Just a handful of people who I think are killing it and released amazing albums the past year or so:

Sam Outlaw
Whitey Morgan
James McMurtry (Probably not 100% accurate to call him country but it is my list so whatever)
Chris Stapleton (Not sure how this guy isn't bigger. Other guys I get but he seems pretty radio friendly)
John Moreland
Sturgil Simpson
Ryan Bingham (his newest isn't my absolute favorite but there is some songs I like)
Hayes Carll

I am into Stone Sour these days. Seether's new music is horrendous.

I am so seriously out of touch with music. It all sounds like shit to me. All of it.

I didn't want to hijack Anodyne's thread but a post got me thinking about Modern Country. We bash it a lot on here and rightfully so. 95% of modern pop country is really bad (there are a handful of artists I do like). However, I was thinking just outside of the pop stuff I can't remember a time when there have been as many modern "country" albums I'm absolutely obsessed with. Is it just me discovering this stuff or are we in some kind of pretty decent era?

Just a handful of people who I think are killing it and released amazing albums the past year or so:

Sam Outlaw
Whitey Morgan
James McMurtry (Probably not 100% accurate to call him country but it is my list so whatever)
Chris Stapleton (Not sure how this guy isn't bigger. Other guys I get but he seems pretty radio friendly)
John Moreland
Sturgil Simpson
Ryan Bingham (his newest isn't my absolute favorite but there is some songs I like)
Hayes Carll

Great list! Bingham is kind of in the same category with McMurtry. I don't know Whitey Morgan. What about:

• Jason Isbell
  • Lucinda Williams
  • Lucero
  • Turnpike Troubadours???

I like Whitey Morgan a lot but he is definitely more on the country side of it and that might not be for everyone.

I absolutely meant to include Jason Isbell. He might be the best thing going. I also like the Troubadours (just not as much as most people seem too).

Lucero and Lucinda Williams are blind spots for me that I need to dive into at some point.

Of those mentioned I really like Isbell, bingham, moreland. Liking Outlaw from what I just heard

I don't know how long Jason Eady has been around or how popular he is but I like some of his stuff. We including "red dirt" in this?

I am into Stone Sour these days. Seether's new music is horrendous.

I am so seriously out of touch with music. It all sounds like shit to me. All of it.

I've never heard of Stone Sour so we are even.

So do you guys think Blake will be able to drop an old school country song after the dust settles on this divorce? He just needs to get hit by a train while Miranda takes off with the dog and his six pack.

I know they are a Norman based band and they are red dirt really but do any of you listen to The Damn Quails? I follow them because the two guys who started the group are from Shawnee and are friends with some of my friends. They should be dropping the new album here in a bit I think.

I like Whitey Morgan a lot but he is definitely more on the country side of it and that might not be for everyone.

I absolutely meant to include Jason Isbell. He might be the best thing going. I also like the Troubadours (just not as much as most people seem too).

Lucero and Lucinda Williams are blind spots for me that I need to dive into at some point.

Car Wheels on a Gravel Road by Lucinda is one of my all time favorite records. Her latest was pretty dadgum good.

I've gotten into Lucero and Turnpike Troubadours through hearing them a lot on Robert Earl Keen radio on Pandora. I wnted to go see the Troubadours when they were recenlty here (same night as Hayes Carll was at Cain's) at the Brady. Unfortunately I couldn't make either.

Speaking of REK, if you like bluegrass at all, his latest is damn good. And the concert at The Cain's was awesome.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I know they are a Norman based band and they are red dirt really but do any of you listen to The Damn Quails? I follow them because the two guys who started the group are from Shawnee and are friends with some of my friends. They should be dropping the new album here in a bit I think.

I haven't listened to a ton of their stuff but the little I have I've liked. I had no idea they were local.

For me, the term "Modern Country Music" denotes an attempt to appeal to a more pop oriented demographic for radio play rather than an expression of it being recently released.

I'd say none of the bands mentioned in this thread are "modern country" musicians....and I like pretty much all of them mentioned in this thread so far.

Lucinda Williams
Holly Williams
Troubadours
John Fulbright
Chris Stapleton
Sturgil
Isbell
Hayes Carll
Parker Milsap
Reckless Kelly
American aquarium
Justin Townes Earle
Dirty river boys
Patty Griffin
Rayland Baxter
Jason Eady
Ryan Bingham
Shelby Lynne
Hurray for the riff raff
Skakey Graves

Yes. Some already mentioned

So do you guys think Blake will be able to drop an old school country song after the dust settles on this divorce? He just needs to get hit by a train while Miranda takes off with the dog and his six pack.

Their new album drops first week of September .. I've heard a few off of it and it's going to be good. Their first album was really good. They seem to be playing around Oklahoma now with the new album on the way. I missed seeing them last week at Grady's in Yukon because Fulbright was playing in town but these guys are worth a listen.

Maybe a few others not mentioned and all very Texas and regional acts - Most aren't pure country, although my wife says some are too country for her) but they they all have the sound.
Zac Wilkerson (grew up NW OK and went to OBU) - His first CD is really good. Saw him a couple weeks ago in New Braunfels and he sounded great live as well.
Shiny Ribs - May be the most entertaining live act you can see in a bar for $15 or so.
Folk Family Revival (I think the brothers are originally from Bartlesville) - Just put out a new album a couple months ago. Two albums and both are fantastic
Statesboro Revue - Saw them a couple weeks ago and they have a really tight sound. The dude playing guitar is good. I just received the advanced copy of their new album yesterday so it's out pretty soon.
Jamie Lin Wilson - One of the mostly not together anymore members of The Trishas
Midnight River Choir - Don't see them up this way much but they put together a great sound
Thieving Birds - Gold Coast (couple years old) is a really good album
Uncle Lucius - New album was out in June and it's fantastic

Sam Outlaw
Whitey Morgan
John Moreland
Sturgil Simpson
Hayes Carll

You just gave me a good list to review. I'm always looking for new music.

I think you will find something you like in there Bitter Creek. That list is pretty diverse as far as country goes.

I mainly made the post to get some more ideas on who to listen to. I just keep hearing people say there is no good country music these days and I couldn't disagree more. I think there is some amazing stuff out there.

Their new album drops first week of September .. I've heard a few off of it and it's going to be good. Their first album was really good. They seem to be playing around Oklahoma now with the new album on the way. I missed seeing them last week at Grady's in Yukon because Fulbright was playing in town but these guys are worth a listen.

Maybe a few others not mentioned and all very Texas and regional acts - Most aren't pure country, although my wife says some are too country for her) but they they all have the sound.
Zac Wilkerson (grew up NW OK and went to OBU) - His first CD is really good. Saw him a couple weeks ago in New Braunfels and he sounded great live as well.
Shiny Ribs - May be the most entertaining live act you can see in a bar for $15 or so.
Folk Family Revival (I think the brothers are originally from Bartlesville) - Just put out a new album a couple months ago. Two albums and both are fantastic
Statesboro Revue - Saw them a couple weeks ago and they have a really tight sound. The dude playing guitar is good. I just received the advanced copy of their new album yesterday so it's out pretty soon.
Jamie Lin Wilson - One of the mostly not together anymore members of The Trishas
Midnight River Choir - Don't see them up this way much but they put together a great sound
Thieving Birds - Gold Coast (couple years old) is a really good album
Uncle Lucius - New album was out in June and it's fantastic

I should have said folk family. Both cd's are really good.

Jamie Lin Wilson made me think of Ashley Monroe, who's another one I should have mentioned.

Lindi Ortega and Sarah Jaroz are a couple more country chicks that are really good.

I love a lot of the older Texas/Oklahoma guys. Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, my buddy Gary P Nunn, the Maines Brothers, Terry Allen. These are great singer/songwriters and still some of my favorite music to listen to. The Bro' country sucks. I remember seeing David Allan Coe in Stillwater around 1977 and I thought he wouldn't live 5 more years. Surprise, that son of a gun is still alive and looks about the same!

Where is the heavy rock/metal thread?

I like several on Thurm's list, but none as much as the stuff Dwight has put out the last several years. His last two albums have been amazing.

I love a lot of the older Texas/Oklahoma guys. Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, my buddy Gary P Nunn, the Maines Brothers, Terry Allen. These are great singer/songwriters and still some of my favorite music to listen to. The Bro' country sucks. I remember seeing David Allan Coe in Stillwater around 1977 and I thought he wouldn't live 5 more years. Surprise, that son of a gun is still alive and looks about the same!

I saw him at Tulsa City Limits shortly before it shut down, it was a fun and interesting show with a really weirdly mixed crowd.

Where is the heavy rock/metal thread?

I like several on Thurm's list, but none as much as the stuff Dwight has put out the last several years. His last two albums have been amazing.

I love some of Dwight's recent stuff. Probably should have included him. However, (right or wrong) I feel like Dwight at least gets some mainstream attention and radio play.

I love some of Dwight's recent stuff. Probably should have included him. However, (right or wrong) I feel like Dwight at least gets some mainstream attention and radio play.

More than the others you listed, for sure.

I'm a big Drive By Truckers fan.

You should love isbell then.

Something that really needs some light shed on it is how good stuff coming out of oklahoma is right now.

Troubadours
Parker Millsap
John Fulbright
Folk family revival
JD McPherson
Damn quails
John Moreland
Wink Burcham
Travis Linville
Derek Paul (shameless plug for a friend of my daughter's)

I know I missed many, but gosh there's good music in this state.

I had to open this thread, but all saw were "words, words...words words words...words" and then Jerry Jeff Walker and David Allen Coe lol. I really don't listen to any new country. Im stuck in the 70s....

That is, when I do listen to country music...

I'm like a couple others on here, I'm so out of touch with music in general anymore. There does need to be a metal thread. I might have a better contribution to that..

Reactions: HighStickHarry
I had to open this thread, but all saw were "words, words...words words words...words" and then Jerry Jeff Walker and David Allen Coe lol. I really don't listen to any new country. Im stuck in the 70s....

That is, when I do listen to country music...

I'm like a couple others on here, I'm so out of touch with music in general anymore. There does need to be a metal thread. I might have a better contribution to that..
Most artists listed here bear little resemblance at all to any country music you've hear in the last decade.

Most artists listed here bear little resemblance at all to any country music you've hear in the last decade.

Exactly, my wheelhouse for country is Waylon. There are a lot of guys listed that if you like stuff like that you should enjoy.

You should love isbell then.

Something that really needs some light shed on it is how good stuff coming out of oklahoma is right now.

Troubadours
Parker Millsap
John Fulbright
Folk family revival
JD McPherson
Damn quails
John Moreland
Wink Burcham
Travis Linville
Derek Paul (shameless plug for a friend of my daughter's)

I know I missed many, but gosh there's good music in this state.

The Troubadours are fantastic. Good story-telling and musicianship. Lots of fun one-liners in their lyrics.

Reactions: okstatefan1
Zip City
The Righteous Path
Sink Hole

That doesn't include the Isbell DBT songs, he has several of the highlights on Decoration Day and The Dirty South, both of which are must listen albums.

Man, just started digging into The Damn Quails for the first time yesterday and find out they broke up this summer. Figures.

Sam Outlaw
Whitey Morgan
John Moreland
Sturgil Simpson
Hayes Carll
Really like all these that I know, means I've got to check out the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT