ADVERTISEMENT

McPherson College automobile restoration summer classes

Orange Jennyslipper

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2005
This is a kind of off the wall subject that I started to write about in Headhunter's thread about the cruise-in in Stilly. It turned into a novella, so I'm putting it in its own thread:

Speaking of Kansas, the reason I'm going in June is for a couple of weeks of classes in auto restoration at McPherson College. Jay Leno donates to the school and has two scholarships there. They've been featured on Chasing Classic Cars. Some of you guys might be interested in going next summer or thereafter. It's very enjoyable and it's education that's hard to find.

It's the only school in the country where you can get a four-year degree in Auto Restoration with about four different emphases, including motorcycles and museum administration.

Anyway, each June they offer several week-long classes in all sorts of restoration areas including sheet-metal reworking, painting, brake repair, engine rebuilding, transmission rebuilding, casting your own parts, electrical systems, upholstery, chrome refinishing and so on. In each class the instructor tries to cover a semester's worth of info. Classes run from 8 to about 4:30 every day.

People come from all over the world and classes are held to under 10 students each. Everything is hands-on. Not a lot of note-taking. In metal working, you stretch, shrink, planish, roll, bend, form, English Wheel, weld (MIG and TIG) and hammer the crap out of sheet metal all week. There are two weeks of that class and are the best I have taken so far. The week of painting is really good, although the year I took it it was hot as Kansas and those full-cover suits and masks don't breath.

In brakes class, you take apart and reassemble several different kinds of old brakes, and so on in each class. There are a lot of collectors in each class and you can learn a lot from them and learn about sources to find old parts and assemblies.

Their emphasis is on older cars -- turn of the century up to about the muscle car era. They are not about hot rods at all. They just restore cars to their original, roll-out-of-the-factory condition.

They have old cars for students to work on, but they don't work on outside vehicles. Each night after dinner (they serve three meals a day) they caravan to a car or motorcycle museum or collection within about 30 minutes drive. It's absolutely un-freakin'-believable what amazing stashes of old cars are hiding in some of those Kansas farm barns!!

This will be my third year to go and my son's second. They have three weeks of classes. Biggest variety is in first two weeks. The third week is usually for the advanced metal working or advanced painting. This year, I think automotive woodworking is in the third week, too. Lots of the older cars were sheet metal attached to wood frames.

Probably one or two more summers for me and I will have taken everything I have any interest in. This year, just about everything I wanted was in the same week and you can only take one class per week. I'm taking electrical systems and engine tune-up and diagnostics this year.

If you saw them on Chasing Classic Cars, they have a team of students who assemble a Model T and drive it away in less than 12 minutes. They lay all the parts and tools on the ground around the frame, blow a whistle and start the stop watch. Very impressive. I mean they put the wheels on, place the engine in the frame, hook up the drive train, install the body, everything -- all by hand.

They do it outside at their car show in May, but I found a video of them doing it inside:

Reactions: CowboyJD
Sounds like fun. Wish it was closer to me, I'd take a look at going.

That's a pretty neat program. I'd like to do it but I would have to take vacation from work for a few weeks, and I'm sure my wife would rather go somewhere else than send me up there. I've got a cousin from Oregon that got a full ride there to play basketball (women's). After her 2 years there, she transferred to Cameron and lived with us but never played due to knee surgeries.

That's really interesting. Thanks for posting.

I grew up around Baby Boomer aged men that were great car builders and I wished I had spent more time really learning how to do those things. Unfortunately, those guys have really slowed down and have stopped building hot rods. Will be interesting to see what the next generation of guys do with pre-49 cars and late great Chevys. Rat rods have probably run their course of popularity.

Just to touch on some of the comments:

You only have to take one week. You would want to double check, but I think they run a vehicle to the Wichita airport to pick up students -- just less than hour trip, probably. Gipraw, we could pick you up Sunday afternoon and drop you off Friday night. Most classes wrap up by 2 pm Friday and you can walk out even if they're not finished if you have to catch a plane.

The sheet metal class has been the most valuable to me. I had never done any TIG welding and I was dying to run an English wheel. Well, I got plenty of both and a lot more. The advanced class, in week 2, was awesome. You can take the second week the following summer if necessary.

You don't have to be a mechanic when you get there and you won't be one when you leave, but you will have a much better understanding of whatever topic you chose and the confidence to go home and repair something -- if you are in the middle of a project. Men and a few women of all skill levels come and are welcome. When the class splits into groups to adjust the brakes on a '54 Studebaker or make a template to reproduce the fender of a '32 Chevy for example, there will be all levels of skill in each group. Old car guys love explaining tips to new car guys so there is a wealth of information everywhere you turn.

Just remember we're talking about pre-1960 cars for the most part.

They love questions and you can bring a small part you are having trouble with and they'll help you get started.

Below is a link to the auto restoration page. Several good things to see. Click through the photos for different news items. My brakes class adjusted the brakes and suspension on the 1957 Fairlane the school's team drove to victory in the Great Race last summer. Next year the race is on Route 66 from Illinois to California. The classes I am talking about are under the Summer Institute link in the middle of the page.

http://www.mcpherson.edu/autorestoration/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT