ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Hall - Recruiting

PoOsKuE

Redshirt
Dec 14, 2004
Saw that Flo lists his top 5 college choices as Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Ohio State and Penn State.

I've heard talk in the past that we were among his favorites.

Anybody know if us being left off was an oversight or has our lack a scholly $ taken us out of the running?

Saw that Flo lists his top 5 college choices as Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Ohio State and Penn State.

Anybody know if us being left off was an oversight or has our lack a scholly $ taken us out of the running?
It seems like we are being hurt by our conference. The last update mentioned he was looking primarily at the Big 10.

It may be an assumption based on the interview where he said he wanted to stay in the Midwest and he noted the competitiveness of the Big 10. I am sure the Cowboy coaches are pointing out to him that the schedule OSU wrestled is just about as tough as any Big 10 schools. Of course, there is no comparison in conference tournaments, but the dual schedule put together was just as tough as what Iowa, PSU, and Minn wrestled while tougher than OhSt and Neb. Add the toughest tournament outside the NCAA Championships (Scuffle) and competition should be much less of a factor. Proximity to friends and family may still be a difference, but I don't think he should not have to worry about facing great competition wrestling for the Cowboys. On another board, a HS coach and dad of a future college wrestler stated he had been told separately by Mark and his Dad that his top three were Minn, Ohio St and Ok St. This info was a couple of months old.

I listened to FLO radio yesterday and they did a very detailed breakdown of the recruitment of the top 15-20 P4P list and gave their predictions where each would land.

Granted many on the list were seniors and we just landed a very large and highly rated class but the only P4P guy on the list that they predicted to end up at OSU was Fix. Not only was he the only prediction he was the only one who they listed as OSU being a legitimate finalist for.

I know recruiting is a marathon and out staff has proven it can land highly regarded kids but the lack of interest from the P4P list was a little concerning.

PSU, OHST, Iowa and Minn were heavily mentioned. On Hall they said he recently dropped OSU and Iowa.

I think proud nailed it on the schedule, OSUs schedule is as tough as any teams in the country minus the conference tournament and that is improving.
As far as interest from p4p OSU has covered almost every weight in the past 2 classes. My hope is that they are going for a smaller class and concentrating on Hall. The rising senior class in Ok is not as strong as last years or next years, so I expect this to be a small class.
I don't think we have an issue with scholarship money, next year we will be freeing up money from AD, Klimara and Marsden.
I have a feeling the recruiting process is going to be slow until October, so many school are holding a full ride for Hall and that will affect the offers of other recruits.

Last edited:
I think proud nailed it on the schedule, OSUs schedule is as tough as any teams in the country minus the conference tournament and that is improving.
As far as interest from p4p OSU has covered almost every weight in the past 2 classes. My hope is that they are going for a smaller class and concentrating on Hall. The rising senior class in Ok is not as strong as last years or next years, so I expect this to be a small class.
I don't think we have an issue with scholarship money, next year we will be freeing up money from AD, Klimara and Marsden.
I have a feeling the recruiting process is going to be slow until October, so many school are holding a full ride for Hall and that will affect the offers of other recruits.
Flo or in particular Willie mentioned our most pressing needs as the bookends, 125 and HWT and A lot of us have been saying this for two years now. I also saw one of the top heavyweights in the country from Oregon is going football. Odiguhe or something similar. Heavyweights are very hard to come by. I think they are still trying to figure out if Andrew Marsden is 197 or heavyweight. He wrestled very impressively at 220 but he is relatively short for a heavyweight not near as tall as his brother and although he must be deceptively strong he needs to hit the weights strongly in college. Piccinnini may be a 125 pounder for his career but we lose Klimara and Miller this year so we obviously need depth at 125. The other recruit from Oregon that I have been impressed with is Sammy Colbray at 195. I have not seen any indication where he might end up.
We had a great recruiting class this year top to bottom but two great recruits next year at the bookends would top it off.

Flo or in particular Willie mentioned our most pressing needs as the bookends, 125 and HWT and A lot of us have been saying this for two years now. I also saw one of the top heavyweights in the country from Oregon is going football. Odiguhe or something similar. Heavyweights are very hard to come by. I think they are still trying to figure out if Andrew Marsden is 197 or heavyweight. He wrestled very impressively at 220 but he is relatively short for a heavyweight not near as tall as his brother and although he must be deceptively strong he needs to hit the weights strongly in college. Piccinnini may be a 125 pounder for his career but we lose Klimara and Miller this year so we obviously need depth at 125. The other recruit from Oregon that I have been impressed with is Sammy Colbray at 195. I have not seen any indication where he might end up.
We had a great recruiting class this year top to bottom but two great recruits next year at the bookends would top it off.
I have a feeling we lay off on another 125 this year and go after Fix the following year. We will be thin at 125, but Piccinnini will have plenty of bodies in the room to go with. We will just have to hope he stays healthy. Now 285 if a different situation, we need to recruit this weight hard. Andrew M does not look like a 285 to me, but I'm no expert. Qualls from Coweta is ranked in the top 60 or so of the 2016 class, but I have never seen him wrestle.

The FLO guys mentioned Hall has cooled on OSU and Iowa quite a bit and didn't mention either as a realistic landing spot.

I listened to FLO radio yesterday and they did a very detailed breakdown of the recruitment of the top 15-20 P4P list and gave their predictions where each would land.

Granted many on the list were seniors and we just landed a very large and highly rated class but the only P4P guy on the list that they predicted to end up at OSU was Fix. Not only was he the only prediction he was the only one who they listed as OSU being a legitimate finalist for.

I know recruiting is a marathon and out staff has proven it can land highly regarded kids but the lack of interest from the P4P list was a little concerning.

PSU, OHST, Iowa and Minn were heavily mentioned. On Hall they said he recently dropped OSU and Iowa.
A quick check of the top ten finds Mark Hall, 6 wrestlers including Fix that weigh 113-126, 152, 160, and 170. All but three will be seniors. Except for Hall it looks like we are good at those weights for next year.

I have a feeling we lay off on another 125 this year and go after Fix the following year. We will be thin at 125, but Piccinnini will have plenty of bodies in the room to go with. We will just have to hope he stays healthy. Now 285 if a different situation, we need to recruit this weight hard. Andrew M does not look like a 285 to me, but I'm no expert. Qualls from Coweta is ranked in the top 60 or so of the 2016 class, but I have never seen him wrestle.
April, I agree but I would like to get Fix committed now. Of course everyone wants Hall but JMO he is headed to the National training center or to Minnesota.

April, I agree but I would like to get Fix committed now. Of course everyone wants Hall but JMO he is headed to the National training center or to Minnesota.
A verbal from Fix would be great and one from his friend Gfeller would be nice as well. Duffield and Bridges are both quality local lightweights in this up coming class.

Hall is truly the real deal, but it looks to me like we have a great deal of points at the NCAA tournament at weights around where he will be. I do not think I have seen a better high school prospect than Hall in my lifetime, but we already have a lot of great quality wrestlers around the weight he would be competing. Still looking for a competitive 197 pounder has to be on the shopping list.

Hall is truly the real deal, but it looks to me like we have a great deal of points at the NCAA tournament at weights around where he will be. I do not think I have seen a better high school prospect than Hall in my lifetime, but we already have a lot of great quality wrestlers around the weight he would be competing. Still looking for a competitive 197 pounder has to be on the shopping list.
I think Weigel will do well at 197. Hall could slide in perfectly if C Rogers goes 184. Blees or smith at 57, CM at 65, Hall at 74 and Rogers at 84. Obviously wishful thinking, but fun to ponder. I am really curious to see where Smith ends up.

I would take what the Flo guys say very lightly. They like to stir the pot if you will

If that helps you sleep at night, WildTurk. why don't you keep a scoreboard on me, bud.

For the 34 and Counting board...thanks for listening to FRL.

recruiting is fun stuff.

I would take what the Flo guys say very lightly. They like to stir the pot if you will
I don't think they try to sir the pot at all, I think they love reporting and talking about wrestling a lot. They are fans just like we are. They may say stuff that certain fan bases don't like, but I don't believe it is malicious.

If that helps you sleep at night, WildTurk. why don't you keep a scoreboard on me, bud.

For the 34 and Counting board...thanks for listening to FRL.

recruiting is fun stuff.
I love FRL and thank you for all the recruiting info, I love it! Until a few years ago I didn't know where to find out wrestling info, but you all have made it accessible. You should come over here more often, but maybe not just to have a pissing match with a Iowa guy. I am still not sure what they gave against you, other than Easton I feel like you are promoting Iowa the most. Keep doing what you are doing and help wrestling become visible.
Let us know when you are in Oklahoma/Tulsa next!

Reactions: oberebo
I love FRL and thank you for all the recruiting info, I love it! Until a few years ago I didn't know where to find out wrestling info, but you all have made it accessible. You should come over here more often, but maybe not just to have a pissing match with a Iowa guy. I am still not sure what they gave against you, other than Easton I feel like you are promoting Iowa the most. Keep doing what you are doing and help wrestling become visible.
Let us know when you are in Oklahoma/Tulsa next!
Come back and post anytime Willie. Flo wrestling is one of the major reasons for he resurgence in the sport I love your coverage and who cares if you favor another team. I think your coverage is even handed and if a little bias slips in that is OK because no one on this board is BIASED. o_O

Those two are around and talk to these wrestlers, their coaches and their parents much more than anyone on these types of forums. They and FLO are doing their part to continue to bring wrestling to the forefront and create a buzz around recruiting and college wrestling which is a win in my book.

I did mention in my original post that I understood why we aren't in on many of the SR to be P4P guys as we just signed back to back large classes and don't have many holes or money.

Willie is a drama queen. I just merely stated that I wouldn't believe some their recruiting info as it is merely just their opinions.
If you listen to their radio podcasts regularly and pay attention to the captions on their links. Aswell as Husker Du's comments on TheMat.com, you might come to same conclusion as me that Willie likes to stir the pot. And not just with Iowa. But that's just my opinion as a random, anonymous poster on a message board. Don't get your panties in a wad willie, not everyone has to like you, Bud.

Come back and post anytime Willie. Flo wrestling is one of the major reasons for he resurgence in the sport I love your coverage and who cares if you favor another team. I think your coverage is even handed and if a little bias slips in that is OK because no one on this board is BIASED. o_O
I might be a wee bit biased. I don't mind them being biased at all.
Willie, I hope my post didn't come across the wrong way. Just trying to say you are more than welcome here and we would love to see both you and CP here more often for wrestling talk.

Reactions: oberebo
Those two are around and talk to these wrestlers, their coaches and their parents much more than anyone on these types of forums. They and FLO are doing their part to continue to bring wrestling to the forefront and create a buzz around recruiting and college wrestling which is a win in my book.

I did mention in my original post that I understood why we aren't in on many of the SR to be P4P guys as we just signed back to back large classes and don't have many holes or money.
We should have some money because this next year we lose Dieringer, Marsden and Klimara plus some underclassman who can't get in the lineup may leave. Blees may be a wrestler that won't find a starting spot and could leave at some point. It surprised me Blees did not wrestle as far as I know this spring or summer. He has always been very active. If he did leave I would want him to go to NDSU.

April and others....big fan of this board. I lurk often but don't post much. Good discussion here.

Wild Turk - see how mature people respond to media - they don't shoot the messenger. If I say 'I don't think OK State will land X, Y, and Z" they discuss it. They don't say I have ulterior motives and am ill informed.

and no, you just didn't "merely state(d) that I wouldn't believe some their recruiting info," you suggested that we lie to cause debate and controversy.

and please - cite 1 time i 'stirred the pot' on a message board....I'll wait.

Nope smalls I said "I would take what the Flo guys said lightly. They like to stir the pot." Never said anything about lying or started a controversy.
Your latest podcast was the most recent example of "stirring the pot". It's not just on message boards man. I will be over on The dumpsterfire website if you need to continue this.

All anyone needs to know about Willie is that he majored in fictional writing in college.. and minored in garden gnome modeling. ;)

Reactions: MitchL
do you know what 'stir the pot' means? seriously.

it means - saying something you don't necessarily believe in order to elicit a response

in reference to this very topic (recruits destinations, if you forgot) - you said 'we like to stir the pot'. in what way, shape, or form have i done that? and the podcast was not stirring the pot. it was discussing how delusional and irrational some HR posters are.

anyway - im done clogging up a perfectly good recruiting discussion with a back-and-forth with a guy who can't follow the narrative.

good day, sir.

Willie, it seems most on HR will never understand what they post about can affect the opinion of parents and wrestlers about going to Iowa. Not the main reason but still a reason, here is a example most recently happened, when some blasted a wrestler on the team about cutting weight and talking about lack of heart. As you said, not many use their real name because its easier to hide from that parent that wants to knock their head off. Bold move Willie, better have a body guard when you visit CHA.

That's why you have always held back on your comments right Mike? Lol. I love the offseason!

Wildturk, I have bit my tongue on your board a lot lately. That is why I haven't posted over there. Its your board and almost all posters over there only want to here about Iowa. If someone disagrees with anybody, they are a Troll. By the way the only thing that bothers you about Willie is he has voiced his opinion about your board and saying every top 10 recruit not going to Iowa. Example= Willie posted that OSU isn't on Mark Hall's final list, this board doesn't flip out, Willie gives PSU the edge on Lee and HR goes on the attack mode because why would any recruit want to go anywhere else because we average 10000 fans at a home dual. Since the top recruits are going to other school maybe you have to dig deep, take your shaded glasses off and look in the mirror! Wake up call for HR, if you cant see it, then keep posting the same way. Have you ever talked to a recruit parents that Iowa wanted and they decided to go to another school, what they really think? I have, keep on keeping on over there!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT