ADVERTISEMENT

Mad Men finale

100TonsofOrangeFury

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Personally thought it was great. All as it should've been IMO. Had to re-watch the last two scenes to be sure what it was indicating, but that was perfect.

What's crazy is there was a Mad Men blogger that predicted that finish a couple of weeks ago.

I burst out laughing at the ending. Perfectly played by the writers.

One blogger also predicted the Dan would end up as D.B. Cooper which I kind of liked. Just proves that if you throw out enough theories one of them will eventually be right.

Question, Who did Joan go into business with? Halloway Harris? Were Peggy and Stan co-writing a resignation letter?

Question, Who did Joan go into business with? Halloway Harris? Were Peggy and Stan co-writing a resignation letter?

It left many things pretty ambiguous.....including that.

One of the many reasons I thought it was so well done. It allowed viewers to project their own emotions and desires for the characters into the story. I hate being spoon fed respolutions.

Was that one of the old coke commercials or a remake? I swear I thought that was an original.

Did Don come up with the idea for the coke commercial when he was doing his meditation on the coast in the last scene? I thought his grin indicated he did.

I thought Peggy decided she was staying at McCann with Stan because " there's more to life than work" according to Stan.

I need to watch the episode again.

It was the original Coke commercial. Probably one of the five most famous commercials of all time which by the way was produced by the real McCann Erickson ad agency. There are several stories out there today about it and the man Bill Backer who actually wrote. Apparently he doesn't watch Man Men. Coke approved and supplies the copy of the add.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/19/business/media/coke-spot-mad-men-finale.html?_r=0

The jest of the ending was that Dan once again went back to New York and his job and used his "hippy time" as a inspiration for the iconic commercial. This makes sense on another level because you know Dan would have to go back to a dying Betty and take care of his kids.

Last edited:
Holloway Harris are Joan's two last names....maiden and married. She went into business for herself.

What I took from the end:

Joan is in business for herself.

Don went back to advertising and came up with the Coke commercial while meditating.

Peggy and Stan were working on the copy for the coke commercial, and stayed at McCann.

Holloway Harris are Joan's two last names....maiden and married. She went into business for herself.

What I took from the end:

Joan is in business for herself.

Don went back to advertising and came up with the Coke commercial while meditating.

Peggy and Stan were working on the copy for the coke commercial, and stayed at McCann.

My takeaways as well, although we have no idea what Stan and Peggy were working on. Which is not important anyway, just that they were still there and together.

I'm gonna miss Roger.

Reactions: CowboyJD
Coke gets the add time. The old vendo 81 was sitting on the motel porch too. Owner didn't want a new machine, liked the old one.

Such a great series, I'm going to miss it. I really enjoy watching period tv/movies from different eras.

I thought the smile on Don's face was that he either a) finally found inner-peace with himself and could live the rest of his life being free or b) his epiphany of the coke spot just came to him in a hippie revelation.

I did think it was interesting that Alva, Oklahoma was such a prominent location for the next to last episode. Goldbugs

Such a great series, I'm going to miss it. I really enjoy watching period tv/movies from different eras.

I thought the smile on Don's face was that he either a) finally found inner-peace with himself and could live the rest of his life being free or b) his epiphany of the coke spot just came to him in a hippie revelation.

I did think it was interesting that Alva, Oklahoma was such a prominent location for the next to last episode. Goldbugs
So if you're able, go back and watch the first season.

I started over last night after having recorded 90 hours of Mad Men from the marathon. Couple of notes, all around how different the characters are from the first episode to the last.

1) Joan may have been the most different. She is as sexist with new girl Peggy as most the men. "Wear this, act that way, Mr. Draper likes it like that", etc. Joan left the show as this strong can-do feminist go-getter. 180 degree change from ten years earlier.

2) Episode 1 Don is this glib, jovial office rock star. Not a lot of darkness to him. Like every one of the other characters, he's as sexist as can be, scolding Rachael Menken for not liking his coupon idea. Gets up and walks out of the meeting with her. Don quickly transformed into a no-nonsense, dark, completely un-jovial troubled dude. And he didn't mess with or insult another female in the office in the next ten years. I think Weiner was trying too hard to paint the period as he thought it was at the expense of what his characters true nature was.

3) Pete wants Don's job in episode 1. Admits he's "not good with people". Every other season of Pete is this glib, charming account man without a care about the creative side of the business. Strange 180 for Pete.

4) Peggy's evolution was a main theme of the show all along, so it's no surprise she changed. Roger was pretty similar in the beginning to what he always was.

I'm sure this topic has been hashed through on some Mad Men blog site, it was strange to watch.

If you have Direct Tv, channel 500 (Audience) has a series called 'Off Camera with Sam Jones'. If you go to the Audience channel on demand section you can watch it. Jon Hamm gives a great interview on how he got his start with Mad Men and how the series evolved into what it is.

I am definitely going to go back and watch season 1 to see how everyone has changed.

Here is Matthew Weiner on the the final season of Mad Men.

Last edited:
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/mad-men-finale-matthew-weiner-119490567755.html

So did Don create that ad? Weiner confirmed he did, saying that “the idea that some enlightened state, and not just co-option, might have created something that is very pure” appealed to him. Weiner also rejected the notion that the 1971 ad is “corny”: “The people who think that ad is corny probably see a lot of life like that. Five years before that, black people and white people couldn’t be in an ad together… To me, it’s the best ad ever made."

One underrated thing about Mad Men (for me at least), when it wanted to be it was absolutely hilarious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT