ADVERTISEMENT

Mad Men and KOMA

Ostatedchi

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2002
I grew up in the shadows of the KOMA radio towers. Don had it on the radio while driving around.

True story...

My dad called the KOMA engineer one day because our toilet was picking up the station. He didn't believe it till he came to our house. They lined the toilet with some foil or something to make it stop.

Well duh! They had extra hamsters running in the generator room so they could blast The Bee Gees all the way out to me choppin' cotton at Sweetwater.

Eight rows of Johnson Grass 30 yards long. Set up camp: put my water jug under a five-gallon bucket and set the transistor radio on the bucket. Stab my hoe-sharpening file in the ground by the bucket.

Spent a lot of time thinking about what I'd say if I ever met Mr. Johnson.

we picked up the am station back in the day in the mountains of Colorado....am 1520.

Has anyone listened to KOMA lately? They are playing 70's and 80's music now. If that is Oldies then I'm getting old.

Those Alva Goldbugs weren't too nice to Don.
If Alva really has a resort pool like that, I may think of taking a little siesta there myself. Didn't see one in my last visit.

If anyone would have laid out any bet in the world that an entire episode of Mad Men would one day be set in Alva, OK, I'd have lost big time.

Reactions: CowboyJD
No doubt. Both my parents were from Fairview. Never thought I would hear their hometown on Mad Men.

Has anyone listened to KOMA lately? They are playing 70's and 80's music now. If that is Oldies then I'm getting old.

Poke 4 Life, just think in 1975 there were very few radio stations still playing big band (Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Dorsey Bros, etc.) although they were all the most popular radio stars just 30 yrs earlier in 1945. At this point, we're 40 years removed from 1975!

So yes, songs from the 70's and 80's are the new "oldies" of our current era. You and I are a couple of "grandpas" to the younger kids, just like we thought of those "old timers" who still listened to swing and big band tunes from the WWII era back in our day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT