ADVERTISEMENT

Mac vs PC

N. Pappagiorgio

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Mar 4, 2004
I have been using a PC for a long time and tried to go to a Mac two different times but always went back to a PC. I really like Windiws 7 but feel like 8 and 10 are a radical departure.

I love my iPhone and iPad but could not get used to the Mac. It seems as though it might be a good time to go to a Mac since the Windows versions look like an entirely different platform. Is now the time to go to a Mac permanently?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

It really just depends on what you feel comfortable with. The new Windows platforms can be made to visually look like the previous ones you were used to, you just have to make those changes.

I am still on the "production = windows, creativity = mac" school of thought.

Having said that, if you like Windows 7, there isn't any reason to not just buy that OS and install it on your computer (s) instead of completely switching.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

As a Mac user I certainly have a bias, but my comment is about the idea of PC = Productivity and Mac = Creativity concept. I have a 1984 Mac that still runs (but sits on a shelf in my office as a "showpiece"), and then I used strictly PCs from 1987 to 2006 (basically 20 years). Since 2006 I have used almost exclusively Mac, and I have no desire to go back. I feel I am far more productive and much more comfortable using a Mac as well. I do use one piece of software extensively (ArcGIS) that is Windows only, but I simply run Windows via a virtual machine or on bootcamp depending on the overall power of the Mac (more power = VM - smaller machine = bootcamp). I use MS Office (Word, Excel, PPT) on my Mac with NO compatibility issues with my PC friends, and I use Android Studio for development stuff and I actually find it better than the PC version.

I admit there is a learning curve, but once you get acquainted to the Mac, and especially the numerous keyboard shortcuts in OS X it is hard to go back.

PS - I have Win8 on my VM now and it works well, as does Win7.

"Learning curve" answered your question. Most John Q. Users aren't going to know how to setup a VM or how to setup and function with bootcamp. Most users want to hit the ground running and aren't comfortable with extreme environment transitions.

Also, you pay an extreme premium for a MAC versus a PC if you don't know how to build your own. If you spend 3 grand on a beefy workstation in Windows (whether you build it or not) you'll have substantially more hardware and options as opposed to a Mac. Now if you build a hackintosh, then that point is moot, but, again, most
users are going to know where to even start.

Having mobile devices that are Mac and being comfortable with them doesn't have any bearing on whether it will be an easy transition going to Mac. It is still a Windows world out there and I don't see it changing much. I would like to see more open source stuff mainstream, but that's still a ways off.

For some reason spreadsheets still seem touchy between Mac and PC. Everything else is fine.

After having a Mac for many years, I switched back to PC for work and was surprised at how little I missed the Mac. How productive you are on either certainly depends on what you use it for. I don't think I took a hit, or made any gains.

It took me every bit of two solid months of 8 to 10 hour a day Mac use to get comfortable and make a complete transition. Once I did, oh man oh man. You couldn't pay me enough to switch back.

I was so close to throwing my Mac out the window about two weeks in but I stuck with it. I am so glad that I did.

That's all I can say.

Originally posted by shortbus:
It took me every bit of two solid months of 8 to 10 hour a day Mac use to get comfortable and make a complete transition. Once I did, oh man oh man. You couldn't pay me enough to switch back.

I was so close to throwing my Mac out the window about two weeks in but I stuck with it. I am so glad that I did.

That's all I can say.
I had some issues with Excel like Mr. Blonde mentioned. Have you?

I had issues opening up some older versions of excel but a quick workaround solved them. If I was getting new files all the time and dealing with them regularly it could cause me some frustration however it certainly wouldn't override the positives.

Originally posted by shortbus:
If I was getting new files all the time and dealing with them regularly it could cause me some frustration however it certainly wouldn't override the positives.
Did you mean old?

I used to be PC only. Work and home. Finally bought a Mac for home when I started doing some video/writing stuff. Thought it was amazing. But kept the PC at work cause I was always using Office. Got Office for my Mac at home. Figured it out and finally switched to Mac at work. Wouldn't go back to a PC at this point.

Dirt are you getting the watch? I haven't ordered yet. I want to see them in person first before I decide which one I want.

Originally posted by squeak:
Dirt are you getting the watch? I haven't ordered yet. I want to see them in person first before I decide which one I want.
Trying to swing it as a "work" expense. If I can do that I'll go ahead. Otherwise I'll wait to see them in person as well.

The watches were pretty damn cool. They have tons of them on demo at the stores. I'll prolly wait till the first price drop next generation before considering the purchase. But, I did find them pretty damn cool.

What Mac's are the go to for basic home use and photo-editing? Are the laptops the most economical choice?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT