ADVERTISEMENT

Loss of wrestling slots for the 2020 Olympics

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
Both the men's and the women's FS teams will have 6 weight classes in the 2020 Olympics as will Greco-Roman. The weight classes for the 2020 Olympics for Men's Free Style are :
1. 57 kg 125.4#
2. 65kg 143#
3. 74kg 163#
4. 86kg 183#
5. 97kg 213#
6. 125kg 275#
There will be 288 places for men's and women's combined wrestling as opposed to 344 in 2016.
The loss of 56 slots is apparently due to the limitation of 18 wrestlers at each weight class and not a reduction in the number of weights. I am not sure this is a bad thing. What is bad is the reduction of weights as there should be at least 8 weights but it apparently is the price wrestling fans pay for having he same number of weights as the women.
18 slots per weight ,I would argue ,is not draconian as it does eliminate the number of wrestlers who have no shot at a medal but are there to represent their country. It does mean the U.S. does have to produce outstanding wrestlers at each of the 6 weights or they do not qualify the weight.
This is my opinion and I would like to hear other perspectives. I would agree that there needs to be more weight classes but not necessarily more wrestlers at each weight.

Reactions: ostatement
oberebo, for what it's worth, 288 slots for 18 weights is exactly 16 wrestlers per weight, or a perfect four-round bracket.

8 weights with 16 per bracket would mean an increase of 32 competitors for each (free, greco, womens) for one of the oldest sports. Seems logical to me to increase wrestling. Some "sports" are just commercial garbage added to appease NBC's pollsters who say BMX cycling and 3 on 3 basketball will draw more viewers.

IMO, we need sponsors directly related to wrestling who will spend the advertising dollars necessary to get wrestling built and prime time coverage. Until the sport becomes commercially viable, we will sadly be relegated to decreasing numbers and limited coverage.

Hate losing weights. It matters less that we keep the same number of entries...it matters that less guys can compete.

In small countries, where there aren't so many great wrestlers jam packed into these few slots, it's not as big a deal. But in countries like the US with huge wrestling numbers, it just makes it that much harder to make a team. And we see fewer of our talented kids get a chance at Olympic gold.

I hate it.

The wrestling worldwide community can do very little to influence the IOC, however we can increase wrestling competition at the world championships.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
Hate losing weights. It matters less that we keep the same number of entries...it matters that less guys can compete.

In small countries, where there aren't so many great wrestlers jam packed into these few slots, it's not as big a deal. But in countries like the US with huge wrestling numbers, it just makes it that much harder to make a team. And we see fewer of our talented kids get a chance at Olympic gold.

I hate it.
Micco, it is not making the U.S. team that is the problem it is qualifying the weight for the Olympics. IMO if you are not in the top 16 wrestlers than you probably do not deserve to wrestle in the Olympics. I think 16 or 18 spots for each weight is a healthy number. We can only send one wrestler at each of the six weights if we qualify the weight. I do agree that there ought to be more weights as many of our very good wrestlers are either too big or too small because of the spread between the weights. Two more weights would help greatly.

Micco, it is not making the U.S. team that is the problem it is qualifying the weight for the Olympics. IMO if you are not in the top 16 wrestlers than you probably do not deserve to wrestle in the Olympics. I think 16 or 18 spots for each weight is a healthy number. We can only send one wrestler at each of the six weights if we qualify the weight. I do agree that there ought to be more weights as many of our very good wrestlers are either too big or too small because of the spread between the weights. Two more weights would help greatly.

I realize this thread is about the Olympics, but I read that UWW will be increasing the number of weights at the World Championships from 8 to 10. Also saw some speculation that the weights may be changed and that there may be 2 day competitions/weigh-ins. For example, the lowest weight might become 55 kg again with a second day weigh-in of 57 kg. Could be interesting. Anyone else hear about this?

I realize this thread is about the Olympics, but I read that UWW will be increasing the number of weights at the World Championships from 8 to 10. Also saw some speculation that the weights may be changed and that there may be 2 day competitions/weigh-ins. For example, the lowest weight might become 55 kg again with a second day weigh-in of 57 kg. Could be interesting. Anyone else hear about this?
have heard about the 10 weights, and the two day comp/weigh ins. I thought it was a 1 KG allowance for second day, but could have misread that. Like the idea, gives more people the opportunity. Can you imagine our upper half lineup if the weights were something like 70-74-80-86-92-98 KG? People like Ringer, Dake, and Taylor have a better shot, and could make a lot of noise at the world level that otherwise they might not see.

Reactions: Wrassler17
have heard about the 10 weights, and the two day comp/weigh ins. I thought it was a 1 KG allowance for second day, but could have misread that. Like the idea, gives more people the opportunity. Can you imagine our upper half lineup if the weights were something like 70-74-80-86-92-98 KG? People like Ringer, Dake, and Taylor have a better shot, and could make a lot of noise at the world level that otherwise they might not see.
This would be good and if it works then it could spur the Olympics committee to look at adding weights.

Reactions: Wrassler17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT