ADVERTISEMENT

Legal Advice - Lemon laws

bj03sm

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2005
I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice on lemon laws. This is kind of long so I appreciate anyone taking the time to read it and see if they have any advice.

In July of last year my wife and I went to Dallas and bought a Range Rover evo from Auto of Dallas. It was a 2016 with 25,000 miles on it so it had a year or 25,000 miles left on the manufacturers warranty. Only a few weeks later in mid August the check engine light came on so we took it to Land Rover here in Tulsa. They said it was an issue with the turbo. They kept it for a week and said they fixed it. They also said they checked the engine and everything was good. A couple of weeks later in early October the light came back on so we took it back to have it checked. They said it was a camshaft and crankshaft issue. They wouldnt be able to get us back in until December 20th but it was ok to drive because "Its under warranty so its covered". In late September it started to make a clicking sound so I took it back to have them look at it again. This time they didnt recheck anything they just once again said "We cant get you in any sooner but ifs fine to keep driving because its under warranty".

On Decembert 13th it locked up on my wife and wouldnt start so we had it towed to the Land Rover dealership. They looked at it and said the engine needed replaced and they would need service records. At this point we had only owned the car for 5 months and less than 4k miles so we didnt have any service records. I called Autos of Dallas and they were able to provide me with the record where they changed the oil at 25k miles before we bought it. The dealership said they would need at least 1 more record. After a week of searching I was able to find the info on the previous owner who leased it in Florida. I was unable to get a hold of him so I called oil change shops around Miami until I finally found one that had changed the oil in May of 2018 at 13k miles. We turned both of these in to the dealership and they submitted the request to Land Rover for the new engine.

Last week the dealership called and said Land Rover declined the request due to not having enough oil change records and the engine having some sludge on it. They said it would fall under neglect and they wouldnt cover it even though its still under manufacturer warranty. I called Land Rovers customer service and filed and appeal. I have screenshots of texts between my wife and I talking about the dealership saying "Its under warranty, just keep driving it. Also pointed out that the vehicle was a lease that was returned to a Land Rover dealership in Miami right before we bought it. Does a dealership not inspect a returned lease vehicle? Also found a technical bulletin issued by Land Rover talking about an issue with the timing chain. Talked to a Land Rover mechanic and he said when you have crankshaft an camshaft errors its normally due to the timing chain failing. He said the dealership should have know that and checked the engine. Especially after I told them it was making a "clicking" sounds

So I have a Range Rover that we have owned for 7 months and its been in the shop for almost 3 of those months and needs a new engine. During the time of ownership the dealership worked on it once and checked it a second time. I just dont see how in any reality I would be held responsible for this on a car I have barely driven that is still under warranty. It is going to be a 7-10k repair if I get a used engine put in it and would be 20k plus if I bought a new engine from Land Rover. Any advice on what I should do or If I have a lemon law case? I read through the laws but wasnt sure how they would apply since I bought it from Texas but live in Oklahoma.

Last edited:
from a fan in the stands, sounds like you've got a legit case but not sure how much time you're going to have to spend getting them to own up. If it was neglected before you owned it then you should have several ways to get healed. Remember, life is not fair however. I think it's pretty routine for them to refuse on the first shot. Persistence is your friend most likely. You better get the dealer you bought it from engaged and the word "misrepresentation" should be said a few times. I owned a Range Rover once and vowed to never own one again. And I didn't have warranty. Every time I took it to the shop it was $1,500. It was a maintenance pig. With so many systems on the vehicle I was always waiting for one of them to fail. Good luck.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
Lesson #1 - Don't ever buy a Land Rover again. They're overpriced pieces of ...

Lesson #2 - Every part of a dealership: sales, parts, maintenance is designed to maximize their profit. If you fight them, sometimes you can get a better deal.

Lesson #3 - Always read the fine print of whatever warranty comes with the vehicle. Too many people get lost in the euphoria of new vehicle-itus when buying their car.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT