ADVERTISEMENT

Latest police shooting...

davidallen

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2006
Portland, OR
Curious to get opinion on which of the following are the root cause(s):
Militarization of police and a general escalation of the police state in AmericaGeneral increase of racial tensions owing in part to a the political tensions of the day spilling over to personal interactionsA general decline in respect for authority - especially among the young and poorMedia sensationalizing tragic events and feeding the ratings machineThe proliferation of smartphones, and other devices such that these are now readily caught and replayed
I tend to believe that it is bit of all of these, more heavily weighted toward the proliferation of smart phones and media desperate to remain relevant and the death of real journalism.

Any belief that we are in a post racial society ignores this reality.

Originally posted by davidallen:
Militarization of police and a general escalation of the police state in AmericaGeneral increase of racial tensions owing in part to a the political tensions of the day spilling over to personal interactionsA general decline in respect for authority - especially among the young and poorMedia sensationalizing tragic events and feeding the ratings machineThe proliferation of smartphones, and other devices such that these are now readily caught and replayed
I tend to believe that it is bit of all of these, more heavily weighted toward the proliferation of smart phones and media desperate to remain relevant and the death of real journalism.

Without knowing the murderer or having more facts, it's impossible to conclude he is a racist. Would he have done the same thing to a white punk in a hoody with tattoos all over his face? I don't know...maybe. The cop is a very bad person who deserves to die for what he did.

I don't see how cell phones are the cause of a mad man committing murder. Maybe I misinterpreted your post.

Militarization of police and a general escalation of the police state in America

General increase of racial tensions owing in part to a the political tensions of the day spilling over to personal interactions

A general decline in respect for authority - especially among the young and poor

Media sensationalizing tragic events and feeding the ratings machine

The proliferation of smartphones, and other devices such that these are now readily caught and replayed

How did any of that cause an idiot cop (which have been around forever, like every profession) stupidly murdering a guy who freaked out about being stopped because he was behind on child support?

So sick of stuff being blown way out of proportion, that has gone on forever and will probably continue to go on forever it's not about race. If the victim had been white this would just be a big local story about a stupid cop.

This post was edited on 4/9 9:32 AM by Headhunter

For your first bullet -- "militarization" -- he shot him he did not drive a tank over him. Police have had guns for a long time.
Second bullet - I guess I missed any information regarding the shooting that implied that this shooting had anything to do with racial tensions. Did the cop say something? Was the cop involved in some racist group? Sorry, I missed that.
3rd bullet - maybe something happened to ignite the police officer, but the victim was clearly running away. If he a violent offender who may escape I can see the potential use of deadly force, but from what I read this started with a minor traffic issue.
4th and 5th - Neither have anything to do with a shooting.
I have no idea what you mean in your last sentence. Ignores what reality??

Originally posted by shortbus:
I don't think police behavior has changed. I think technology has just caught up with it.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
The idea that anything is private or unobserved is pretty much dead and gone today. If something funny, interesting, or tragic is unfolding you can almost guarantee that at least one person in the crowd has whipped out the smart phone and it will be up on youtube or Facebook within minutes.

Cali,

Are you equating a deadbeat dad pulled over for a broken taillight to a tatted up punk in a hoodie?

This guy?

CCDp_mUVIAAD6rC.jpg

Cali,

Are you equating a deadbeat dad pulled over for a broken taillight to a tatted up punk in a hoodie?

This guy?

CCDp_mUVIAAD6rC.jpg
No he's saying that there is no way to know if he would of done the same had it been a white thug running away. Based on what I saw this guy was a gun happy cop. If you run from him he'd take you down.

I don't think he had time to think about the guys race. Although I will admit that being black could of factored into his thinking the guy was up to no good.

What ever his motivation based on what I've seen he's a murderer and black or white victim it's f'd up bullshit. No one deserves that.

This post was edited on 4/8 10:35 PM by Headhunter

This case reminds me of that subway cop in San Francisco a few years ago that shot that dude who was lying on the ground handcuffed. That officer was convicted of manslaughter and did time.

It's curious that whenever incidents like this happen so many people who don't know either the victim or the officer immediately jump to "it's a hate crime or one party is a racist". It's the default position for many. It could be one or both or neither but that's hard to determine based on the video alone.

Imprimis...I really wasn't implying he's a racist either although you can bet the normal clowns with the same old screed will fall out of the woodwork. The guy made an unbelievably bad decision (he could probably have run up behind him do the ole kick the one foot behind the other and dropped him) he obviously wasn't going to outrun the police officer and it didn't appear he had a weapon either. As I said before just really sad the one guy is dead and the others life is forever changed for the worse.
All that said there are hundreds of thousands of police officers out there that do an awesome job and deserve way more respect then they get.

From the video it sure looks like the cop shot the guy in the back, called it in saying the guy grabbed his taser, then dropped the taser next to the guy in an attempt to plant evidence that supports his claim.

That's simply murder, probably 2nd degree.

Who knows if it is racially motivated or if the cop is just a scummy humanbeing. Either way, it looks like murder to me.

Originally posted by windriverrange:
Imprimis...I really wasn't implying he's a racist either although you can bet the normal clowns with the same old screed will fall out of the woodwork. The guy made an unbelievably bad decision (he could probably have run up behind him do the ole kick the one foot behind the other and dropped him) he obviously wasn't going to outrun the police officer and it didn't appear he had a weapon either. As I said before just really sad the one guy is dead and the others life is forever changed for the worse.
All that said there are hundreds of thousands of police officers out there that do an awesome job and deserve way more respect then they get.
My comment was not towards you. It was towards those who immediate jump to hate crime/racism accusations before any of the facts emerge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT