ADVERTISEMENT

Kanye (fish dicks) West, the gift that keeps on giving....

MegaPoke

May 29, 2001
Tulsa
www.shipmanphotos.com
First, in spite of 130,000 signatures on a petition to keep him from headlining Glastonbury, he still was inexplicably given that slot.

Second, Upon taking the stage, he declares himself to be "the world's greatest living rock star."

Twitter Reacts

CIkRiQAUsAAk1Aa.jpg

CIkRiQNUcAAnv6t.jpg

CIisQipWwAA89L7.jpg

Third, he covered Bohemian Rhaposdy, and sounded exactly like Mike Tyson covering In the Air Tonight on The Hangover.

Fourth, A british comedian "Kanye's" him, mocking his arrogant stage rushes by rushing Kanye's stage mid-performance.

Fifth, Pete Townshend mocks him.

Not taking up for the guy, but even though 130K signed the petition, there were about 100K at his stage in Glastonbury. I have to assume The Who closed the show the following night, but nice job by Townsend to put that d-bag in his place. Despite that, the abortion he performed on Bohemian Rhapsody is just criminal.

There are a lot of artists that I don't listen to but I know enough about them to realize they are talented. Jaz-Z for example, if I liked the genre, he would be one who I feel is talented, inspires others, knows, the business, etc.

I say that to ask , is Kanye even the least bit talented musically, businesswise and promoting?

I think Kanye is talented…a complete ass, but still talented.

I'd compare him to Floyd Mayweather, Jr. No denying Kanye can bring it, but his over-the-top self-promotion makes it impossible to stomach the guy.

There are a lot of artists that I don't listen to but I know enough about them to realize they are talented. Jaz-Z for example, if I liked the genre, he would be one who I feel is talented, inspires others, knows, the business, etc.

I say that to ask , is Kanye even the least bit talented musically, businesswise and promoting?

He's obviously very good at promoting himself, same as his wife's family, because he's turned himself in to a multi million dollar act and I can't tell you a damn thing he's ever done.

I'd compare him to Floyd Mayweather, Jr. No denying Kanye can bring it, but his over-the-top self-promotion makes it impossible to stomach the guy.

Talented my ass; the suck-wad did "whatever" to Bohemian Rhapsody; stupidity wins once again.

I've seen zero evidence of this alleged talent. He seems like a practical joke.

Remixing celebrated classic rock tunes into a jumble of strait repetitive bullshit doesn't constitute "talent" in my book. That goes for Vanilla Ice too.

Like him or hate him the dude has talent. I don't care for him personally but he is well on his way to becoming one of the greatest hip hop artists of all time. I don't expect many on here to agree with me because he is an ass but that is not just my opinion. Almost every album he releases is critically acclaimed.

He has made 3 or 4 absolute classic hip hop albums.

Like him or hate him the dude has talent. I don't care for him personally but he is well on his way to becoming one of the greatest hip hop artists of all time. I don't expect many on here to agree with me because he is an ass but that is not just my opinion. Almost every album he releases is critically acclaimed.

He has made 3 or 4 absolute classic hip hop albums.

I'll take your word for it. People keep saying it, so I guess it has to be true.

I prefer musicians who can sing and/or play interments. Being a genius at sampling and producing doesn't make anyone a musician. I don't know what a hip hop artist is really. I understand it's a musical genre, but anyone who "sings" as off pitch as he did on that Bohemian Rhapsody cover is no musician. Classic hip hop albums aren't really in my wheelhouse, I admit.

That is completely fair Mega. Hip Hop/Rap is not everyone's cup of tea. However, in that regards he is considered talented. You won't find many lists of greatest rap albums of all time without there being at least one Kanye album on there.

Guy is an insurable douche but he didn't get where he is today because of self promotion. A lot of people (and critics) just actually really like his music. I'm one of those people. I think just about every album he has released has been borderline classic (but I also really like rap). However, I also don't pay attention to his tabloid life either.

Talent is subjective especially when it comes to creativity/art. 99% of real heavy metal sounds like gibberish to me and not even music. However, I'm sure those guys have talent.

In your world I liken it to Kiss and Gene Simmons. Gene Simmons seems like a complete prick in just about everything I've ever read. Kiss seems like masters of endless self promotion and I don't really connect with their music. Of course for someone like you who follows them closer you would argue that there is more to the story than the handful of articles I've read and youtube clips I've seen. Gene Simmons might seem like a gigantic douche to me, I might think their music is pretty average however I do think they are talented guys. I might not see it but too many people enjoy their music and they've sold too many records for me to think they got where they are by painting their faces and being on every single piece of merchandising known to modern man.

Kanye is a dick but in his field his is at the top of the talent list (all time).

Reactions: MegaPoke
AT got it right...and I realized that this is a losing battle on this board. But Kanye has produced some great music...stuff I really like. (And I agree, he's a jackass.)

Just for some "get you pumped" music, listen to "Amazing" or "Stronger" or "Power"

A lot of people on here probably know this but Kanye actually has a lot of family in Oklahoma. His mother was raised in OKC and the family was very involved in the civil rights movement in Oklahoma. His mother is buried in OKC.

Of course none of that excuses his general dickish attitude.

I'll take your word for it. People keep saying it, so I guess it has to be true.

I prefer musicians who can sing and/or play interments. Being a genius at sampling and producing doesn't make anyone a musician. I don't know what a hip hop artist is really. I understand it's a musical genre, but anyone who "sings" as off pitch as he did on that Bohemian Rhapsody cover is no musician. Classic hip hop albums aren't really in my wheelhouse, I admit.

So do you not own Beastie Boy's Paul's Boutique or License to Ill?

might have some Beastie Boys somewhere, but I ran over my 3rd Bass tape back in the early 90s with my Ford Ranger lol.

That is completely fair Mega. Hip Hop/Rap is not everyone's cup of tea. However, in that regards he is considered talented. You won't find many lists of greatest rap albums of all time without there being at least one Kanye album on there.

Guy is an insurable douche but he didn't get where he is today because of self promotion. A lot of people (and critics) just actually really like his music. I'm one of those people. I think just about every album he has released has been borderline classic (but I also really like rap). However, I also don't pay attention to his tabloid life either.

Talent is subjective especially when it comes to creativity/art. 99% of real heavy metal sounds like gibberish to me and not even music. However, I'm sure those guys have talent.

In your world I liken it to Kiss and Gene Simmons. Gene Simmons seems like a complete prick in just about everything I've ever read. Kiss seems like masters of endless self promotion and I don't really connect with their music. Of course for someone like you who follows them closer you would argue that there is more to the story than the handful of articles I've read and youtube clips I've seen. Gene Simmons might seem like a gigantic douche to me, I might think their music is pretty average however I do think they are talented guys. I might not see it but too many people enjoy their music and they've sold too many records for me to think they got where they are by painting their faces and being on every single piece of merchandising known to modern man.

Kanye is a dick but in his field his is at the top of the talent list (all time).

Great post. And actually Gene Simmons and Kanye West is a pretty solid comparison in some ways.

99% of my income comes from commissioned photographic art or fine art sales. Maybe 1% comes from playing music. But I can definitely understand the subjectivity of art. One thing I do know however and it actually makes your comparison between West and G$ all the more valid - talent can get you so far, but being a self-promoter can get you to the top in any kind of "art" more than perhaps any other field.

I connect to KISS as most KISS fans do - through indelible childhood memories. If you are in your mid to late 40's, there were three cultural events in the 70's that changed your life. KISS, Star Wars and Farah Fawcett's nipples. Four things, I guess.

It's not that their music is anything more than dumb, fun bar rock. It's not, really. But they grew their fan base by working their asses off and delivering a show like nobody else. And they did their own singing and playing (on stage anyway). It was real. They did self-promote, obviously, but they caused more guys to pick up guitars than anyone not named The Beatles, so they had some talent. Good, not great musicians in the original lineup.

I've covered hundreds of bands, but among the hardest things I've ever done is learned to play baselines for Detroit Rock City and Black Diamond while stomping around in 7 inch boots with sweat and makeup in my eyes while interacting in character with the crowd. That shit is hard!

Just for sitting around and listening to music that I connect to, I never listen to KISS. But on the occasion I hear a classic KISS song on the radio, at the gym or if I am playing with my band, it always takes me back to that feeling of being 7 years old and wondering if those guys were aliens, monsters or what.

I'll be open minded about Kanye, but what really pisses me off is when he calls himself a rock star and butchers an iconic song. I'll buy that he's a sonic artist, but not sure I am ready to call him a musician.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT