ADVERTISEMENT

Is Fear a Positive Emotion?

Bitter Creek

Heisman Candidate
Apr 24, 2008
Most people do their best to avoid fearful situations with the exception of amusement park rides or similarly safe fear-inducing scenarios.

But, without fear, is there such a thing as courage? Courage is considered one of the highest virtues that a person can possess. So, if courage cannot occur in the absence of fear, isn't fear therefore a good thing rather than something to avoid?

Originally posted by TheRedSon:
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Nice try, but it won't get you elected melodrama queen.

At it most basic level fear is a warning of danger. If you are about to jump of a second story roof the fear you fell is you brain sensing danger. The same thing if you are driving 120 miles an hours and the car skids. It's your brain warning you. That's one reason drunk driving is so dangerous. Alcohols dulls the brains sense of warning at the same time it slows down you motor skills and reaction time. So yes fear is can be a positive emotion.

Fear exists on it's own without the existence of another emotion while the existence of courage is 100% dependent upon the existence of fear. So one with no fear is also one with no courage. In fact, one who feels no fear is likely going to be diagnosed with some type of brain or behaviour disorder. The fear of failure with the ability to empathize can lead to a fear of hurting others, fear can also assist one in making ethical decisions, or even prevent a bad decision that could lead to unsafe acts. All that said, I believe fear is a positive thing overall unless one lets it consume them.

A successful businessman can also feel no fear at all and have anti-social personality disorder. Which would also mean they do not possess the ability to empathize so people being hurt by their actions/decisions is of no consequence. Jordan Belfort is a good example of an anti-social who was a very successful businessman. Sure, he wasn't a serial killer like Bundy, Dahmer, Shipman, or Gacy but he has definitely ruined a lot of lives for his own gain and didn't feel a damn thing.

Originally posted by 100TonsofOrangeFury:

Originally posted by JimmyBob:
Originally posted by TheRedSon:
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Nice try, but it won't get you elected melodrama queen.
That's quite a fail.
Not really. Yoda WAS a complete and utter drama queen of a Jedi.

Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. I believe that is credited to John Wayne.

I taught that to my oldest son very early on. Fear should preclude caution and focus in intense situations. I also believe it to be positive for a child to fear their father.

It depends on what you do with it (or whether you let it prevent you from soig anything with it).

Fight, flight or freeze right? Know when to do which, and never let yourself do #3 for very long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT