ADVERTISEMENT

Inside America's Billion-Dollar Marijuana Business (new doco)

NZ Poke

Heisman Candidate
Dec 16, 2007
Worth a watch for sure! Once you get past the initial 'stereotypical stoners' in the beginning of the video, you see a quickly maturing market.

It's going to be VERY interesting if a Republican becomes president and shuts down the entire industry (as Chris Christie said he would do - Marco Rubio said he would shut it down as well).

There are serious jobs and industries being created, entrepreneurialism etc.....and we need any new jobs we can get. It seems like if Republicans really want to widen their appeal, they could embrace this industry and use it to promote their economic policies. Small businesses owners.....hello?!

Last edited:
The republicans could screw up an orgasm. This is such a perfect issue on which to get ahead of the Dems.

I will never vote for a candidate that is against legalization. To me it's like alcohol prohibition. The prohibition itself creates so many problems.

Reactions: MegaPoke
OK, I'm not a grower or a user, but I do have a bit of "insider" information on this topic and industry. (I'm doing a joint venture with a company that makes "bio-stimulants" which do wonders in helping MJ plants grow larger and faster.) One of my consultants/sales people is already selling into this market and some of his clients make over $400M/yr.

The main $ mover in the MJ Growing industry at this time is not probably what you think. A few years ago, most growers would put an inordinate amount of time in towards the end of the grow to get the most resin/crystal on the buds as possible. Now, the focus is on turn-over as the CBD and THC oil is worth far, far more than the "whole plant" used to be. The CBD's are extremely low in THC, but the market is already huge and growing as pharmaceutical companies and those in the medical community are starting to use that oil for a number of things.

My guy says that within 5 yrs, virtually no one will be actually "smoking" pot, but rather will be using vapes as means of heating the THC oil to inhale or will simply be consuming the product as an edible. To harvest the THC and CBD they take the product (for CBD's it's the leaves primarily) and grind it to something about the size of tea/coffee ground and subject to one of three processes. At the end, you end up with a very concentrated oil, depending on the process you sometimes also end up with waxes and esters that also have a market value.

When even Oklahoma is legalizing CBD's for medical usage, with 15 states so far also legalizing it, (and it's likely that number moves to 31 by the end of the year) there's not going to be any putting the genie back into the bottle.

Trivia: the CBD in pot, actually inhibits the bodies intake and use of THC, making it more difficult to "get high." There's virtually no THC in the CBD oil, but by separating the CBD from the THC, you end up with a product that at the end actually takes less to get high, because the CBD is no longer present to inhibit it.

OK, I'm not a grower or a user, but I do have a bit of "insider" information on this topic and industry. (I'm doing a joint venture with a company that makes "bio-stimulants" which do wonders in helping MJ plants grow larger and faster.) One of my consultants/sales people is already selling into this market and some of his clients make over $400M/yr.

The main $ mover in the MJ Growing industry at this time is not probably what you think. A few years ago, most growers would put an inordinate amount of time in towards the end of the grow to get the most resin/crystal on the buds as possible. Now, the focus is on turn-over as the CBD and THC oil is worth far, far more than the "whole plant" used to be. The CBD's are extremely low in THC, but the market is already huge and growing as pharmaceutical companies and those in the medical community are starting to use that oil for a number of things.

My guy says that within 5 yrs, virtually no one will be actually "smoking" pot, but rather will be using vapes as means of heating the THC oil to inhale or will simply be consuming the product as an edible. To harvest the THC and CBD they take the product (for CBD's it's the leaves primarily) and grind it to something about the size of tea/coffee ground and subject to one of three processes. At the end, you end up with a very concentrated oil, depending on the process you sometimes also end up with waxes and esters that also have a market value.

Yep, this is all true.

One of my friends had one of these little vape pens with the THC oil. They're electronic and tiny (almost like a pencil)......once people try it, the vast majority will use those and not go back to loading a plant in a pipe, burning it, disposing of ashes etc.......the convenience and usability is off the charts (customers want ease-of-use more than almost anything - see Apple's success with promoting usability over everything else).

Talk about a money-making opportunity from the Gods........and so is the marijuana-infused-food industry.

Can you imagine someone opening a food-trailer or restaurant specializing in marijuana-infused hot wings?! (holy-f*cking-shit)

The food possibilities are absolutely unlimited.....and of course, it's all about serving the right dosages, and not being able to serve beyond a certain amount (that's where regulatory policies comes in)......but once people try the food products (that aren't too strong) and wake up the next day hangover-free (unlike alcohol)........it's going go from a one billion dollar industry to a 100+ billion dollar industry.

I certainly agree in principle and support full legalization but I don't think it would be a good electoral strategy for any candidate of either party to try to use the economic benefits of legalization as a focal point of their economic plan. I think legalization of marijuana is going to end up just like gay marriage, it will eventually happen and eventually be widely accepted but we're not there yet and I think you'd turn off just as many people off as you attracted. I think this holds true for a Democratic candidate as well. I think at this point a full support of medical marijuana along with reducing penalties and jail time for offenders is as far as a candidate should go. Also allowing the CBD oil companies that provide vital anti-seizure medications to thousands of children should have access to banks without worrying about the Feds seizing their money.

When even Oklahoma is legalizing CBD's for medical usage, with 15 states so far also legalizing it, (and it's likely that number moves to 31 by the end of the year) there's not going to be any putting the genie back into the bottle.

Trivia: the CBD in pot, actually inhibits the bodies intake and use of THC, making it more difficult to "get high." There's virtually no THC in the CBD oil, but by separating the CBD from the THC, you end up with a product that at the end actually takes less to get high, because the CBD is no longer present to inhibit it.

Joint venture.

Reactions: shortbus and squeak
I certainly agree in principle and support full legalization but I don't think it would be a good electoral strategy for any candidate of either party to try to use the economic benefits of legalization as a focal point of their economic plan. I think legalization of marijuana is going to end up just like gay marriage, it will eventually happen and eventually be widely accepted but we're not there yet and I think you'd turn off just as many people off as you attracted.

By being risk-averse, the GOP is going to let Dems own and win this issue. (watch and see over the next year - California is setting up for full legalization in 2016, once the world's 8th largest economy goes all in it's over)

The only demographic strongly-against marijuana legalization are seniors......and they're victims of 40+ years of anti-marijuana propaganda that was never based on any science (only on money).

Check out this recent study out of Israel. Of course the pharmaceutical companies (1/6th of our GDP) are not going to want this to be legal.

".......19 patients between the ages of 69 and 101 were treated with medical cannabis in the form of powder, oil, vapor, or smoke three times daily over the course of a year for conditions such as pain, lack of appetite, and muscle spasms and tremors.

During the study:

- 17 (of 19) patients achieved a healthy weight, gaining or losing pounds as needed

- Muscle spasms, stiffness, tremors and pain reduced significantly

- Almost all patients reported an increase in sleeping hours and a decrease in nightmares and PTSD-related flashbacks

- There was a notable decline in the amount of prescribed medications taken by patients, such as antipsychotics, Parkinson's treatment, mood stabilizers, and pain relievers

- By the end of the study, 72 percent of participants were able to reduce their drug intake by an average of 1.7 medications a day."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130124123453.htm

Reactions: MegaPoke
You don't have to sell me on the medical benefits, we agree. I have a personal stake in the legalization of cannabis oil and believe me I understand why big Pharma would rather it stay illegal. We just don't agree on election strategy. As I said above I think a Republican (Rand Paul has) can support full legalization of medical marijuana. I just think you are ahead of the curve on full legalization for recreational use, especially for a Republican in the primary.

By being risk-averse, the GOP is going to let Dems own and win this issue. (watch and see over the next year - California is setting up for full legalization in 2016, once the world's 8th largest economy goes all in it's over)

The only demographic strongly-against marijuana legalization are seniors......and they're victims of 40+ years of anti-marijuana propaganda that was never based on any science (only on money).

Check out this recent study out of Israel. Of course the pharmaceutical companies (1/6th of our GDP) are not going to want this to be legal.

".......19 patients between the ages of 69 and 101 were treated with medical cannabis in the form of powder, oil, vapor, or smoke three times daily over the course of a year for conditions such as pain, lack of appetite, and muscle spasms and tremors.

During the study:

- 17 (of 19) patients achieved a healthy weight, gaining or losing pounds as needed

- Muscle spasms, stiffness, tremors and pain reduced significantly

- Almost all patients reported an increase in sleeping hours and a decrease in nightmares and PTSD-related flashbacks

- There was a notable decline in the amount of prescribed medications taken by patients, such as antipsychotics, Parkinson's treatment, mood stabilizers, and pain relievers

- By the end of the study, 72 percent of participants were able to reduce their drug intake by an average of 1.7 medications a day."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130124123453.htm

The GOP isn't risk adverse. They are purposely obtuse becauses their lips are balls deep on the religious right's campaign $$.

The GOP isn't risk adverse. They are purposely obtuse becauses their lips are balls deep on the religious right's campaign $$.

The religious right is a factor, but we pretty much know the exact five groups profiting most from this issue:

http://www.republicreport.org/2012/marijuana-lobby-illegal/

The private prisons industry is MASSIVE and disturbing.

And get this......

Private prison contracts often require the government to keep the correctional facilities and immigration detention centers full, forcing communities to continuously funnel people into the prison system, even if actual crime rates are falling.

Nearly two-thirds
of private prison contracts mandate that state and local governments maintain a certain occupancy rate – usually 90 percent – or require taxpayers to pay for empty beds.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...me-the-biggest-lobby-no-one-is-talking-about/

Reactions: ThorOdinson13
The religious right is a factor, but we pretty much know the exact five groups profiting most from this issue:

http://www.republicreport.org/2012/marijuana-lobby-illegal/

The private prisons industry is MASSIVE and disturbing.

And get this......

Private prison contracts often require the government to keep the correctional facilities and immigration detention centers full, forcing communities to continuously funnel people into the prison system, even if actual crime rates are falling.

Nearly two-thirds
of private prison contracts mandate that state and local governments maintain a certain occupancy rate – usually 90 percent – or require taxpayers to pay for empty beds.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...me-the-biggest-lobby-no-one-is-talking-about/

Man that is some sobering information. No pun intended.

More people need to know this. And this explains a lot about Rubio

Reactions: ThorOdinson13
I've been saying for years that the private prison industry was a major problem in this country.

There's been at least half a dozen cases, that I am aware of, where some of these companies were bribing judges to increase sentences. This includes a Judge in Florida who sent likely hundreds of juvenile offenders into lock-up, when their offenses were far more suitable for alternative punishment.

And those are the ones caught for flat out bribery, no telling how many judges of the elected variety got significant support and campaign $ from the industry.

You guys really need to see John Oliver's report on the Bail Industry to see why reform in that area is also being opposed by these same for profit prison companies. The entire goal is to keep people locked up, often for no good reason, because an empty bed means lost profit opportunity.

We're all paying a hell of a lot more in taxes, destroying lives and families, permanently crippling the job prospects of millions of people - all so some A-Holes can pocket more money. This (Govt agreeing to turn over our prison/jail system to for-profit entities) is perhaps second only to the expansion of the "War on Drugs" on the list of STUPIDEST domestic policies engaged in over the last 30-40 yrs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT