ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical question....

Honduee

Starter
Mar 22, 2010
....whenever John decides to retire, should OSU approach Mark Perry about filling the HC position?

It will be interesting. You would think Branch would be high on the list. I'm saying that as someone with zero knowledge on stuff like this.

I know very little as well regarding who would be next in line but I can't imagine Mark Perry being a serious candidate at this point. All of the personal stuff aside, even if he took over at Illinois and continued to raise their program I think its a stretch that anyone outside the Cowboy family would get the job if John has a say.

My guess would be Guerrero and Branch as the top two candidates. Pat Popolizio led NC State to a 16th place team finish w/ an individual champ so would seemingly be a candidate as well.

What does John's coaching tree look like these days?

Guerrero, Esposito, Caldwell, C. Perry at OSU.
Branch, Kyle, Foster at Wyoming.
Poppolizio, Blanc at NC State
Ward at Army
Kelly at Stanford
Pendleton, Oliver at ASU
Scott and Erisman at UNC
Moore at American
Chionuma at Ouchita Baptist
I'm probably missing some but that's off the top of my head.

It seems thus far, Ward and Poppolizio have had the most success. Of course, building programs like Ouchita Baptist and Binghamton is a lot different from running a program like OSU. Also, neither have substantial international experience which I think would be a consideration. From the list that leaves Guerrero, Kelly, Moore and Scott for right now.

I don't think there is a clear heir apparent. If Mark showed interest, I think he should definitely be considered.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

All things considered; if there were only two candidates, I can't believe they wouldn't pick Chris Perry over Mark. IMO, John will not be stepping aside for at least 5 years (Joseph). By then, Chris will have a lot more coaching experience. I here he is on the bench whenever Joe is wrestling and in his last two years at OSU as a wrestler, he was always on the bench shouting out instruction right there with John and Eric.

Personally, I would not be happy with Mark at OSU in any capacity. He's already bugged out on Oklahoma twice and that gives him two strikes. I don't think he should be given a chance for three.

This post was edited on 3/24 8:19 AM by Old Number Nine

I am with old number nine. Anyone other than Mark needs to lead our program after John calls it quits.

Not sure that Mark is not really settled in Wyoming.

As far as Mark Perry, I think he's a star. Wherever he gets a head job, I think he'll be a force.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

To follow up on Number 9's post, I don't recall the reason behind Mark's first departure from OK nor am I advocating that he be the next head coach at OSU. However, I would not hold it against Mark or another assistant OSU coach that leaves OSU to take a DI head coaching job absent very unique circumstances such as an agreement with John to remain as an assistant for an agreed number of years at which time that assistant would step in as the head coach.

Not knowing a ton about wrestling and the HC's situation, has John given any hints that he intends to step down in the near future?

Originally posted by EvilPOKES:
Not knowing a ton about wrestling and the HC's situation, has John given any hints that he intends to step down in the near future?
He has made a few passing and joking references about him getting older, coaching for a long time, etc. in a press conference or two this year but nothing that would suggest his time is coming to an end.

I think international experience is the key when looking at possible replacements as IMO that is what separates the more successful programs and will even more so moving forward. Having a coach that has had that experience and still well connected in those circles is a must.

I concur with Jon and nine. John has at least 5 more seasons at the helm. I would have no idea who we would hire. We will have our pick of most coaches in my estimation. John certainly did not sound like a coach ready to retire in the post tournament talk and actually looked rejuvenated.

Originally posted by eddie2:
To follow up on Number 9's post, I don't recall the reason behind Mark's first departure from OK nor am I advocating that he be the next head coach at OSU. However, I would not hold it against Mark or another assistant OSU coach that leaves OSU to take a DI head coaching job absent very unique circumstances such as an agreement with John to remain as an assistant for an agreed number of years at which time that assistant would step in as the head coach.
Mark left Oklahoma to wrestler at Blair after losing in the High School final as a freshman (this is from memory, I hope it is correct) - Strike One

Mark wrestled at Iowa - Strike Two. I don't hold it against Mark that he went elsewhere because he was worried about wrestling behind Hendricks (and rightly so) but I can't forgive him from going to Iowa or probably OU. Anywhere else, at that time, but I would probably include Penn State in that list now.

Originally posted by Old Number Nine:
Mark left Oklahoma to wrestle at Blair after losing in the High School final as a freshman (this is from memory, I hope it is correct) - Strike One
i read/heard that he threw the 2nd place medal in the trash after that finals match.

This post was edited on 3/25 8:24 AM by jon_osu

No. 9. Interesting, you were talking about Mark Perry and my response was about Mark Branch. Agree with you - if a Perry is going to coach at OSU it will be Chris.

Originally posted by Old Number Nine:
Originally posted by eddie2:
Mark left Oklahoma to wrestler at Blair after losing in the High School final as a freshman (this is from memory, I hope it is correct) - Strike One

Mark wrestled at Iowa - Strike Two. I don't hold it against Mark that he went elsewhere because he was worried about wrestling behind Hendricks (and rightly so) but I can't forgive him from going to Iowa or probably OU. Anywhere else, at that time, but I would probably include Penn State in that list now.
"You're taking this very personal. Tom, this is a business and this man is taking it very personal."

I have the utmost respect for Mark Branch and was nothing but proud when he was given the job at Wyoming. If all of our assistant coaches and grad assistants where given head coaching positions tomorrow, I would be as proud as a peacock. I can't wait to see Branch more often when we are in the same conference.

I would think that with a lot more schools in the conference that Bedlam will only be once a season instead of twice.

Originally posted by mike tognetti:

I would think that with a lot more schools in the conference that Bedlam will only be once a season instead of twice.
Running from us already. I KNEW you guys were scared of us!

Getting off topic, but I read that the teams will combine for the qualifying tournament only and not as an official conference. Not sure about that and I hope that's not the case.

the 6 WWC teams will be joining the Big 12 Conference in wrestling. The qualifying tournament will be the Big 12 tournament. They have yet to work out how many duals teams would wrestle against each other. About 18 months ago, when this was being kicked around, the thought was to require each team to wrestle the other nine in duals at least once every four years, which seems reasonable. But that was just discussion.

I don't like any of the options presented as a replacement for Coach Smith. I know the last 2 years Coach Kish at NDSU has beaten coach Branch at Wyoming. Four years ago Wyoming would smoke the Bison. Maybe Chris Perry way down the road would be the best option. I am in agreement that freestyle success is important especially at the Olympics. It would be good if Perry jumped levels and had Olympic and or world success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT