ADVERTISEMENT

Homemade firing pin

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
If you have an old shotgun with a broken firing pin similar in shape to mine down below, heres a redneck but easy fix: go find an old drill bit that you don't care about that's about the same size as the firing pin at its base, fix it to your drill like you are going to use it to drill with...and using a grinder while spinning the bit, shape it into the same shape as your firing pin. Use a dremel cut off wheel or similar tool to notch it for the set screw if you need to as I have done...and presto....new firing pin.

I did this for an old Wyco 16 gauge 1929 model, I would have had to go to a gunsmith and have one made anyway since the gun is so old and a firing pin for it isn't something you see online very often, unless you buy an assortment (75 bucks what I have seen) and find a match in that.

Perhaps this is common knowledge to some gun guys, but I had never done this before. Worked perfectly.

Nice work! I've never done that kind of work for a shotgun. I've only done a little messing around with trigger jobs and smoothing actions for pistols, but it really isn't very technical to me.

Thanks! I went a little long on the notch for the containment screw, but it end not being an issue. It's easy stuff really. On an old gun I paid 50 bucks for about 5 years ago, I didn't see the point in paying that much for some gunsmith to make a small part. You may not want to do this for your Belgium Browning though...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT